Reccomend me a book

Arsen

Nov 26, 2008
Stekepanne5 said:
Seems like we like a lot of the same books!
Anyway, read these series:
"A Song of Ice and Fire" Prehaps the best fantasy ever.
"Lord of the Rings" Well this should be mandatory by law!
"The Sword of Thuth" A pretty good series i guess, but i left it for "The Song".
"The Weel of Time" A fantastic world, if you have a lot of free time.

Too all fantasy nerds out there don't kill me for putting "The Song" before "LoTR"!
Martin has officially dethroned Tolkien as the King of Fantasy. It's kind of a well known fact.

McShizzle

Jun 18, 2008
Nasrin said:
Recommend*
Isn't there a build in spell checker on the forums?...

House of Leaves was my favorite summer read. It's a bit scary though.
Highly recommend this, very layered, interesting style. And yes it can be quite scary, it contains the most terrifying passage I've ever read in a book. Might not be for younger readers like the OP though.

Kungfu_Teddybear

Legacy
Jan 17, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
Sabriel, Lirael and Abhorsen, a fantasy trilogy written by Garth Nix. Best books I have read in my life.

vingtcinq

Sep 7, 2010
Bartimaeus Trilogy? I approve.

Anything by Guy Gavriel Kay. The Fionavar Tapestry and Under Heaven, specifically.
The Fourth Realm Trilogy by John Twelve Hawks (The Traveler, The Dark River, The Golden City).
The Pendragon series.
The Inheritance Cycle by Christopher Paolini (Eragon, Eldest, Brisngr).
Orson Scott Card is also a good author, if you haven't alraedy read Ender's Game. Any of the sequels are just...what..but still. Good book, that.
And Oryx and Crake by Margaret Atwood.

Kind of an easier-to-read group of books, but still all good.

ReservoirAngel

Nov 6, 2010
I'm currently burning through the 2nd book of the Lorien Legacies series, by Pitacus Lore. First one's called I am Number Four and personally I think its fantastic.

Valkyrie101

May 17, 2010
ToxicOranges said:
I recently read Game of Thrones and fricking loved it, so much so, I bought all the sequels immediatly :3
Same! Consider that a double recommendation.

deus-ex-machina

Jan 22, 2010
CannibalCorpses said:
Anything by James Herbert or Graham Masterton...im a horror lover :)
Oh my God, I love you.

These two are MY favourite horror authors and until I met Terry Pratchett's work, they were #1 and #2 on my favourite authors list in general.

A lot of people have heard of Herbert, but society seems to have overlooked Masterton as one of the best.

I wish you an awesome life.

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
Another vote for Abercrombie. Anyone who enjoys "A Song of Ice and Fire" should get up on his stuff immediately, if not sooner. It lacks the grandeur and sense of weight and importance that Martin's work has, but it shares the same bleak, gritty, morally gray world view. The books are all ripping yarns, and unlike his counterpart George, Joe is turning out to be an amazingly prolific author.

They should be read in chronological order:

The First Law Trilogy
Best Served Cold
The Heroes

BlackStar42

Jan 23, 2010
The discworld books are really good, and there's the Black Magician series by Trudi Canavan as well- its pretty good if you like fantasy stuff. I couldn't see it on your list ( I TL;DR'd it) but Darren Shan's also written the Demonata series and a standalone book, The Thin Executioner. Both are really good.

NoDamnNames

Feb 25, 2009
You sound like you are a fan of snarky cantankerous scifi books, so to that end I recommend the Odd Thomas series by Dean Koontz

poleboy

May 19, 2008
janerowdy said:
If you though Bioshock had an interesting story, I'd recommend checking out Atlas Shrugged. It's a bit long, but it is good.
First of all, let me admit that I only read the first part (~30% of the book). I did like the story, but the constant propaganda for Rand's own ideas ruined it for me. And she does go on. And on. And on. :p

RootBrewski

Aug 1, 2008
If you like "A Song of Ice and Fire", definitely check out "The Dragon's Path" by Daniel Abraham.

Korolev

No Time Like the Present
Jul 4, 2008
"Unnatural" by Philip Ball. It's a book about the history of "anthropoeia" which is his term for the "technology to make people". It's very interesting. He explores the old "making people" myths of the alchemists, then he moves onto the early fiction novels like Faust and Frankenstein, before talking about the recent advances in cloning technology, all the while he also explains society's reaction to the myths and the technologies.

It's an even handed account that does not demonize science or dismiss some of the valid concerns people have about any technology that could be used to grow/modify people artificially. Honestly, it's a very good book, which explains the issues very clearly. It's entertaining to read and it's not all that long either.

Another very interesting non-fiction book is "Rubicon" by Tom Holland. It details how the Roman Republic fell apart and how Caesar ascended to power. Trust me, it's very interesting. Murder, war, mayhem, corruption, political skull-duggery and assassinations play a prominent role. Tom Holland does not write boring books - he takes the time to make history interesting.

If you really dislike non-fiction, then you could try Catch-22. Can't go wrong with Catch-22. And if you liked Hitchhiker's Guide, then you would probably enjoy "Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency", also written by Douglas Adams. It's not as good or as funny as Hitchhiker's guide, but it's still good. I really did not care for "Dark tea-time of the soul", though.

And I have to recommend "Hello America" and "Millennium People" by J.G Ballard. Not enough people read J.G Ballard. "Hello America" deals with an exploration team sent to the US, which has been devastated and abandoned almost entirely due to a environmental catastrophe engineered by the USSR (it was written when the USSR was still around). It's really interesting and it really captures the spirit of America, because it makes you think about how much the world would lose if it lost the USA entirely. "Millennium People" is about anarchy and middle-class "soft" terrorists and their violent response to their "boring" lives in modern day UK society - it's essentially about people setting off bombs merely for excitement and it explores the psychology of what happens when people snap.

Another very interesting book is "Cloud Atlas" by English Author David Mitchell (not the comedian). It's a very surreal book and very well written.

navyjeff

Legacy
Dec 2, 2010
Country
United States
Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson.
Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury.
Brave New World by Aldous Huxley.

Both Douglas Adams and Terry Pratchett get my enthusiastic support as well.

I don't recommend Atlas Shrugged, but if you want some Ayn Rand that tells a similar story in fewer pages, read The Fountainhead or Anthem instead. And if philosophy is up your alley, be sure to read Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, Starship Troopers, and/or The Moon is a Harsh Mistress to balance out Rand a bit. Some Kurt Vonnegut couldn't hurt, either.

Estoki

May 25, 2010
Have you read "A Song of Ice and Fire" as a whole, or just Game of Thrones?

If the latter, read the rest of the series, and if you have read up to Feast, read "A Dance of Dragons", which recently released.

And if you have read them all, read them all again.

Vivi22

Aug 22, 2010
subfield said:
Dune by Frank Herbert (only the first)
Have to disagree as I feel all of the Frank Herbert Dune books are well worth a read. Children of Dune and God Emperor in particular were probably my favourites.

Grottnikk

Mar 19, 2008
"Soon I will be Invincible" by Austin Grossman. It's about superheroes, but it's not a graphic novel or a comic book. It's a full length novel. Great fun.