Recettear: Indie game made of win?

Azure Sky

Dec 17, 2009
So, I picked up "Recettear: An Item Shop's Tale" off of Steam the other day and start playing.
...Only to look up at the clock in shock 7 hours later after getting up for a drink.

I haven't played a game this addictive in quite some time. =3

So Escapist, if you have played the game/demo or even thought about picking up a copy, share your thoughts!

"Capitalism ho!"

[Edit]
Linky for those who have no idea what I am on about. [http://store.steampowered.com/app/70400/]

imudkip

Nov 20, 2009
I bought the game on Steam while it was on discount. Played it. Totally worth it.

The dungeons are kind of annoying though.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
I've heard good things about it.

Not my kind of game though.

Elle-Jai

Mar 26, 2010
It sounded good. Very Japanese uber-happy sounding though, when she has no reason to be!!

You'd recommend it though, so maybe it's worth taking a look at...

YuheJi

Mar 17, 2009
I've heard lots of good things about it, especially from Rock Paper Shotgun, so I think I'm gonna look into it sometime soon (as soon as I finish my large pile of games that I want to play first).

Azure Sky

Dec 17, 2009
Not to mention it has some of the most side-splitting gags I have seen in quite a while.

Baked Cake

Sep 13, 2010
I don't think it's for everyone. If you're a person that's been looking for a decent JRPG, then this game will be worth every cent. The shop system which is the main focus of the game to me is something that I haven't seen in any other game before and it's pretty darn awesome.
I would recommend this game if you're looking for a good JRPG or just want to try out this game mechanic.

Winfrid

Oct 21, 2008
It's very japanese, to put it plainly
The themes, humour, characters, all of it, tends to the stereotypical but still an entertaining game, the dungeon crawling is just plain silly fun

Nalgas D. Lemur

Nov 20, 2009
I've only played the demo so far, but I had a surprisingly large amount of fun just buying and selling items in town/in my shop and ripping people off, to the point that I didn't even make it to any of the dungeons my first time through the one week (in-game time) they give you in the demo. Capitalism ho, indeed. Definitely not going to be everyone's thing, but if the idea of running your own item shop in a standard JRPG world sounds at all interesting, at least check out the demo. I definitely intend to get the full game at some point, either when it's on sale or I'm not in the middle of trying to finish up a few other games first.

Serenegoose

Faerie girl in hiding
Mar 17, 2009
It's a lot of fun and the demo gives you a good introduction to what to expect, whilst not showing everything straight away. :) it's refreshingly lighthearted, and some of the jokes and fourth wall breaking references are really quite amusing. I'm glad I picked it up, and will be finishing it once I get less bad at the game. Some of the repayments are crazy.

Deleted

Jul 25, 2009
Game is alright, unique concept but then that's it. You sell and sell and sell.

Well there's the dungeon but thats gets stale after a few days of playing. And the game is full of little things like taking orders, fusing items, and even trends! (things will go up in value while others go down).

I can see how its popular but I can't help but think that the kawaii ^_^ moe main character sells the game.

If I could review I'd give it a 7 out of 10 meaning average. What it does, it does well; but don't expect anything more than selling and dungeon crawling.

Baked Cake said:
I don't think it's for everyone. If you're a person that's been looking for a decent JRPG, then this game will be worth every cent. The shop system which is the main focus of the game to me is something that I haven't seen in any other game before and it's pretty darn awesome.
I would recommend this game if you're looking for a good JRPG or just want to try out this game mechanic.
This is not a JRPG. Its more of a tycoon (business sim) than anything.

Ashsaver

Your friendly Yandere
Jun 10, 2010
I like the Demo,but i have to wait a few more week to actually buy the game, 19.99 bucks isn't cheap for a developing country resident like me =3.