Recomend some alternate music.

Owyn_Merrilin

May 22, 2010
WouldYouKindly said:
Folk metal has been an interesting genre for me. You may have heard of Falconer, but I like them because the singer avoids the growls and shrieks that are too prevalent in metal these days. I'm not much of a metal fan though to be honest.
+1 for Falconer, although I always thought they were more power metal than folk metal. An interesting fact about their singer; he quit the band after the first album to do musical theater. He then rejoined several albums later, but the point is, there's a reason he doesn't do the growls.

Edit: Can anyone see my BBcode? It's not working on my end, but I can't find any mistakes.

mike7184

Feb 12, 2011
-Animals As Leaders (prog-metal, jazz-fusion, idm)
-Mundtot (industrial, electronica)
-Jega (glitch, electronica, experimental)
-Skelic (glitch, darkstep, industrial, experimental, breakcore... etc)
-Panzerballet (death jazz, funk)
-Radiohead (electronica)
-Starfucker (light electronica/rockish)

andeve3

Jul 14, 2010
I would recommend creating a last.fm account, or at least exploring last.fm. Probably around a third of the music i currently listen to was discovered through last.fm.

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
Deerhoof makes very strange music that nevertheless is still clearly music and not just weird sounds for the weirdness of it all.

the_hessian

Jan 14, 2009
mono
cult of luna
brontide
mr. bungle
tomahawk
the toy dolls
animals as leaders
kong
salem
metronome
floppy
adaptor
shinjuku gwalt
shilfee and tulipcorobockles
guniw tools
nookicky
AA=
avengers in sci-fi
fact
dir en grey
maximum the hormone
pulled apart by horses
death from above 1979
queens of the stone age
king crimson
jethro tull
rolo tomassi
sikth
dillinger escape plan
mike patton

...and that 30 makes it 50 in total
...enjoy!

Z(ombie)fan

Mar 12, 2010
homestuck's bandcamp page has over 250 quality songs.

although they are better if you have read the the comic they are based on. for context reasons.

my fave is the felt. its based on a group of side characters with time powers, the music reflects that

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
My shameless promoting of Kula Shaker continues. Shame my favs aren't on Youtube, but here's some:
uc.asc said:
Also dubstep.

Ain't that just their usual drum&bass with some dubstep influences? I mean, when I think of dubstep, I think of whoop whoop whoop [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFu2DfPDGeU] and lots of it. I like that song though.
octafish said:
Sun Ra and his Solar Arkestra (Jazz from outer space)
Good gods that's amazing. Another fine addition to my jazz playlists.

Yokai

Oct 31, 2008
Clutch. Psychedelic, bluesy hard rock with ambiguously metaphorical lyrics about dinosaur men and battling Greek gods. Must be heard to be believed.
Along with them, I'd recommend...
Also, Franz Ferdinand, Cage the Elephant's first album, and Massive Attack. Massive Attack is amazing.

Ambi

Oct 9, 2009
mireko said:
I just noticed that I listen to a lot of Japanese music. Huh.

[sub]also wonder if it was worth typing out that entire list. oh well.[/sub]
I like your lists.

I laughed out loud at first, but I couldn't ridicule it for long because it's so sweet and earnest.

If you like epicness:

Youtube related videos can take you many places. Wikipedia is also useful.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heavy_metal_subgenres
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punk_rock_subgenres
etc.

uc.asc

Jun 27, 2009
Cowabungaa said:
uc.asc said:
Also dubstep.
Ain't that just their usual drum&bass with some dubstep influences?
Yeah, properly speaking pendulum isn't dubstep so much as it is dubstep-influenced, though that song is more dubstep-y than most of their music. We do have slightly different interpretations of what dubstep means -- I recognize the sound and most of the music from your link, but the local radio show tends to be faster, louder and with a little less whoop whoop whoop than that clip.

sam42ification

Nov 11, 2010
emeraldrafael said:
Go with Radio head. They're still alt (surprisingly) all this time later.

... Though really, we would need to kno whats popular where you live. Muse is supposed to be alt, but they're heard alot here, so no one thinks of them as alt. However, we dont really ever hear Eric Clapton on the radio except a few times a year, so he's alt.

Could also listen to some of the lesser known stuff by the "mainstream". its rather surprising how different stuff can be when its not ont eh radio.
Muse isn't very alt in Australia it's on the radio a lot. The difference between australia and america is america has a lot better radio stations. I went to colorado to see family and i was suprised at the amount of variety you had. Maybe it's just i live in a crap part of australia and all the good radio stations are out but our radio stations are either so mainstream you want tear out ears, country, classicle or talk. There is nothing wronge with classicle but i can't listen to for a long drive. We don't get any eric clapton or radio head but they are easily purched from sanity of all places(mainstream music shop chain).

sam42ification

Nov 11, 2010
Squallie Greenthumb said:
you would honestly probably be best off if you looked into local music. it's a lot easier to be original when you don't have a record deal.
Not so much for me. Local music is garrenteed to be covers of country songs or original country songs which is even worse.

Squallie Greenthumb

May 16, 2011
sam42ification said:
Squallie Greenthumb said:
you would honestly probably be best off if you looked into local music. it's a lot easier to be original when you don't have a record deal.
Not so much for me. Local music is garrenteed to be covers of country songs or original country songs which is even worse.
that sucks man I'm sorry. Being from Boston I'm kinda spoiled.

Flying Pilgrim

Apr 24, 2009
Try Gorrilaz, they are pretty good alternative band. Soundgarden is also pretty good. Rolling Stones and Jimi Hendrix aren't really alternative, but not a whole lot of people listen to them anymore (even though Jimi Hendrix was a genius). The song I am gonna link for Gorrilaz is one of my favorites. I am not sure if you will like it though. A lot of my friends don't really like it. But they are really good; look at some of their other stuff if you don't like it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjgm3xHr96Q
This is one is just awesome.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Je8MXiwmNIk
The song is a masterpiece.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AIhtafqZvy8

IndianaJonny

Mysteron Display Team
Jan 6, 2011
Alternative, hmmm. Well there's Half-Handed Cloud [//www.halfhandedcloud.com/hhcsite.html] - that's really zany. (Christian music, which you might not care for though)