Recommend a moive for your forum buddies.

godofallu

Jun 8, 2010
So I just got done watching Million Dollar Baby, and I can't get over how well done it was. In fact there are many movies that I have been watching recently that are truly life changing. This is largely due to a stream of great movie recommendations that I have been receiving.

How the thread should work is simple, name a movie and then give a very short summary of what it is about. Including the type of movie it is, ie action, comedy, drama, ect.

== My Recommendation ==
Slumdog Millionaire. It's an emotional drama which centers around a poor Indian boy who enters the gameshow Who Wants To Be A Millionaire and has to prove to the poliece that he didn't cheat to win.

Now please recommend movies for me, and the rest of your escapist community.

Dango

Feb 11, 2010
Jaws, the greatest horror-ish movie ever made. Also, anyone who hasn't seen the Lord of the Rings trilogy needs to slap them self in the face and go get it on Blu-ray right now.

Mr.Pandah

Pandah Extremist
Jul 20, 2008
Well, if you enjoyed Million Dollar Baby than you'll like Gran Torino as well.

Basically Clint Eastwood is living in a neighborhood that had just gotten progressively worse over time and is in the middle of acceptance of his inevitable fate and coming to terms with what has happened in his life. Its a great movie and still brings a tear to my eye in the ending scene with his car.

Marter

Elite Member
Legacy
Oct 27, 2009
Doomsday. It's such a fun movie to watch, was completely flew under the radar, and is one of my favorite movies of all time. ^_^

SniperWolf427

Jun 27, 2008
It's hard to think of a movie that wouldn't be mostly well known by our community (considering how diverse we are), but I just watched A Clockwork Orange again, and think it's a fantastic movie that everyone should experience. I'm sure many have already, but there's always a few that need to be told.

As for something a bit more recent, Inception earns my seal of approval.

Sinclair Solutions

Jul 22, 2010
A movie that a lot of people I know haven't seen is Zodiac. David Fincher, the guy who did Fight Club, is in top form here. This movie is tense the whole time through (even when nothing happens, the mood is so tense you are on the edge). Plus, Robert Downey Jr. is his usual awesome self, Mark Ruffalo is amazing, and Jake Gylenhall is actually pretty interesting (though it is still hard to take him seriously).

EDIT: In order to fit with the OP, this is a mystery/crime/suspense movie about the real life Zodiac Killer, a serial killer in the San Francisco area during the 1970s.

The Austin

Jul 20, 2009
The Boondock Saints and Fight Club. I think my fellow Escapists could appreciate some cult films.

BoosterGold

Jul 21, 2010
I would recomend both The Room, has some on the worst everything in a movie but is so bad it is hilarious, a black comedy of sorts

and the evil dead movies, The horror action comedies starting Bruce Cambell, these movies are loads of fun.

godofallu

Jun 8, 2010
Please don't reply if you are unwilling to give the brief summary and movie category, as mentioned in the OP. I tried to keep the first post very short, in order to appease trolls.

Oh and Gran Torino is what got me into the Clint Eastwood bandwagon in the first place. I am a proud owner of it.

Flig

Nov 24, 2009
Donnie Darko
Fight Club
Pi (If you don't mind a little pretentiousness)
Requiem For a Dream
V for Vendetta
ZombieLand
Memento
Boondock Saints (one and two)
Shutter Island

List of my favorite movies right there.

nin_ninja

Nov 12, 2009
Inception....it's out in theaters.....and directed by Chris Nolan....who also directed Memento...which was also good.

Also, Seven Pounds was well done and Sean Penn is a good actor.

olendvcook

Aug 14, 2009
im going to cheat and use neflix's summary but

World Greatest Dad:
After his son (Daryl Sabara) dies in an awkward freak accident, high school poetry teacher Lance (Robin Williams) ghostwrites a suicide note to spare the family embarrassment. But when the note becomes an unexpected hit, Lance sees a chance to resurrect his writing career. In a bid for literary fame, Lance writes his son's journal and passes it off as his own. Writer-director Bob Goldthwait's comedy debuted at the 2009 Sundance Film Festival.

Genre: dark comedy

such a great movie

Nothing Tra La La

Feb 10, 2010
Tokyo Godfathers is an excellent foreign film that is very under-the-radar.
It's a comedy about three homeless people who find an abandoned baby and go through a menagerie of journeys, both physically and emotionally, to try and find it's parents. It's heartwarming and hysterical, a great watch.

Also, Charlie Bartlett. A fantastic film about a teenage boy who become a "therapist" to his fellow classmates via his bathroom-stall office and inspires somewhat of a rebellious revolution. Robert Downy, Jr. is in it and (as always) is fabulous. It could be considered comedy, but it's really up to the watcher to interpret where it stands genre wise.

Pegghead

Aug 4, 2009
If you like a bit of horror, The Shining.

If you like a bit of Western, The good, the bad and the ugly.

If you like a bit of drama, Gran Torino.

These movies easily fit into my top ten (g, b and u is my top) and they're all the kind which you leave you just going "that was a good movie".

Shimmyshake

Mar 25, 2010
If you want to go to an actually movie theater, go check out Inception. It was an AMAZING movie.

MoonPenguin

Aug 4, 2004
Mr.Pandah said:
Well, if you enjoyed Million Dollar Baby than you'll like Gran Torino as well.

Basically Clint Eastwood is living in a neighborhood that had just gotten progressively worse over time and is in the middle of acceptance of his inevitable fate and coming to terms with what has happened in his life. Its a great movie and still brings a tear to my eye in the ending scene with his car.
One of the best movies I've seen in the last two years.

For a more recent western: Tombstone.

Brilliant performance by Val Kilmer. And I hate Val Kilmer in everything.

Blindswordmaster

Dec 28, 2009
Bubba Ho-tep
Bruce Campbell plays an aging Elvis who fights a soul sucking mummy with a black John F. Kennedy. Watch this movie, it's available on Netflix streaming, do it now!