All Hitman games are good except for Contracts
Chronicles of Riddick
splinter cell games
Tenchu is wonky but fun
Metal Gear Solid 1-3

Seracen

Sep 20, 2009
MGS is an obvious choice.

Splinter Cell Conviction is a hybrid of action and stealth, and more accessible IMO.

Riddick is fun, and Deus Ex:HR is better played as stealthy anyways.

Personally, none of the older Hitman games had enough story for me, so I think the OP played the most accessible one (for me anyway, the only one I consistently enjoyed was the newest one).

One COULD play Alpha Protocol as stealth, but not exclusively...

Metro Last Light I stealth through, if only b/c the alternative is too hard...

Jolly Co-operator

A Heavy Sword
Mar 10, 2012
I'm going to throw in another vote for Mark of the Ninja. It's impeccably well done, with clear indications of how much noise you're making, or how visible you are. Not once did I mess up and feel like it was because of some sort of ambiguity or lack of feedback from the game.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution also has good stealth, if you choose to play it that way. The camera goes into a 3rd-person perspective when in cover, if you find the 1st-person viewpoint to be too claustrophobic for stealth.

I'd recommend any of the Metal Gear Solid games, although 1 and 2 are a bit dated, with their fixed-position cameras.

Lastly, I recommend that you try to grow accustomed to Thief. I first played it myself last year, and I also found its datedness to be off-putting. However, after sticking with it, it sucked me right in. It feels extremely satisfying to pull off a heist without really having any sort of supernatural powers, like what you'll find in a lot of modern stealth games (not saying that's necessarily a bad thing). For the most part, you're relying on your wits, and it definitely feels empowering.

CriminalScum

Mar 17, 2012
Obviously there's also the new Thief that just came out. The reviews of it have been very mixed but I think that it's a pretty good stealth game worth looking into.

TheYellowCellPhone

Sep 26, 2009
If you have Bioshock: Infinite, Burial at Sea Episode 2 has an enormous stealth focus. Admittedly the stealth gameplay is incredibly mediocre -- you crouch walk everyone and melee execute oblivious dudes who walk the same patrols -- but the environment and story are absolutely fantastic, and the Plasmids the game utilizes is just fresh enough.

IFS

Mar 5, 2012
I've only seen a couple other people recommend it so I'll cast my vote for Mark of the Ninja, its one of the best stealth games I've played. DE:HR is also excellent, and the original Deus Ex is a great game as well, though not strictly stealth you can certainly play it that way.

Poppy JR.

Jun 25, 2013
There are computer ports of Metal Gear Solid 1 and 2 as far as I know. YMMV on the controls if you're not using a controller. Mark of the Ninja and Stealth Bastard are also solid choices. If you're into multiplayer co-op, try Monaco: What's Yours is Mine.

OneCatch

Jun 19, 2010
MysticSlayer said:
The Splinter Cell games from the first one through Chaos Theory are all incredible. Double Agent isn't as universally praised, but I enjoyed it personally. I probably wouldn't bother with Conviction. Haven't touched Blacklist, so I can't really say much on that.
Blacklist is kind of like Conviction but with a lot of classic mechanics re-added (non-lethal attacks and weapons, emphasis on gadgets, actual penalties for being noisy). Plus you can switch off the ridiculous mark and execute thing on the harder difficulties.
The plot is silly and goes a bit 'murrica towards the end, but in terms of raw gameplay it's fairly solid.
It's not quite up there with the first three games, and in particular nowhere near Chaos Theory, but it's fairly decent nonetheless.

MercurySteam

Tastes Like Chicken!
Legacy
Apr 11, 2008
On the AAA market you've got Deus Ex: Human Revolution and Dishonoured as two fantastic stealth games. Stealth is the easiest way to play Deus Ex and Dishonored lets you choose how to fight but both are great games in their own right.

Hitman Absolution will also give you a run for your blood money. *snickers*

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
In both Splinter Cell: Blacklist and Deus Ex: Human Revolution you can basically chose to go stealth or rampage, I usually do a combo in these kind of games, with a slightly higher stealthiness, and I liked both a lot :)

sageoftruth

Jan 29, 2010
Entropywarrior said:
NuclearKangaroo said:
Mark of the Ninja is one of the best stealth games ive played
Second this, get Mark of the Ninja. It's cheap and a hell of a lot of fun.
My only word of warning is that the game can be absurdly easy if you don't force yourself to not kill anybody.

Zac Jovanovic

Jan 5, 2012
You should definitely go back and play older Hitman games, the new one was a streamlined joke. My favorite is Silent Assassin.

Also older Splinter Cells are pretty good sneaky games. It may be nostalgia but I have really fond memories of the original Splinter Cell.

If you don't mind going even further back and can deal with games that didn't age well there's Thief 2.

Saucycarpdog

Sep 30, 2009
Splinter cell: Chaos Theory, Deus Ex: HR, and Dishonored.

Chaos Theory's stealth requires patience but once you get it, you can ghost entire levels. Human Revolution is one of my favorite as even when I beat the game with stealth, I challenged myself and tranquilized all the cops in the police department without a single one noticing.

Yep. All of them.

Menageryl

Apr 4, 2014
The Hitman games.
The first hand-full being the best... I'm not sure I'd recommend the latest couple...

Chronicles of Riddick.
Assault on Dark Athena has both the original game plus what many consider to be an expansion (instead of an actual "new game") and the original game is remade with the new game's engine and assets so it's much prettier to look at!

Splinter Cell.
First game up through Chaos Theory.

Deus Ex.
The original. Though stealth isn't a necessity or even an obvious option here, it supports the play style exceptionally well. I'd rank it up near the Thief series itself.
There are also a whole lotta mods and updates available online for it to try soften the pain of playing with the engine and assets being what they are (i.e. "old and ugly").

But.
The absolute pinnacle of Stealth is the Thief series (excluding game circa 2014): Thief Gold; Thief II: The Metal Age; and Thief: Deadly Shadows.
BEFORE you start to play though, go to the Through The Looking Glass site (ttlg.com) and be sure to download the latest TFix patch for Thief Gold; the latest TafferPatcher for Thief 2. Both of these have updates from as recent as January 2013 that make a SIGNIFICANT difference to the games - runtime fixes; stability on modern systems; texture and asset resolution improvements / replacements; widescreen gaming activation; etc.
There's a similar patch set available for Thief 3 too.

And in addition there are SLEWS more mods and updates that improve the graphics, skybox, gameplay, etc. though those mentioned just above are CRUCIAL for playing these games properly these days!
Just browse around, read some forum threads, etc. - there's SO MUCH! And they're pretty much current!

If you really, really struggle with the dated state of the games to the extent you find you can't play Thief though (and even if you don't struggle!) then the very next best option in my not so humble opinion (or the opinion of MANY others) is "The Dark Mod" at thedarkmod.com
It used to be a total-conversion mod for Doom 3 but is now a standalone game, absolutely 100% free for download, install, and use.
It's essentially Thief and Thief 2 remade in a modern engine by some of the most devoted and talented fans in the community.
Right now it has around 80 different missions available for it.
For around 2GB download, plus another 1GB for mission-downloads, I CANNOT RECOMMEND THIS GAME ENOUGH!!! It absolutely ROCKS!!!
The Dark Mod is what Thief 2014 should have been - it beats the AAA effort soundly and completely!!!