Recommend an anime: more difficult

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat 🐐
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
🇬🇧
If you want an anime that's more mature and realistic, then I'd recommend Aishiteruze Baby, which is about a high-school student who has to take care of his younger cousion after her mother abandons her. It's fairly light-hearted but over around 26 episodes manages to tackle themes such as child abuse, suicide and parental abandoment in a serious manner, but always remaining upbeat overall. I can also guarantee it is 100% free of overt fanservice, magic, extreme violence and gore.

iDoom46

Dec 31, 2010
FMA and FMA: Brotherhood are nice because, even though they're mainstream, they still cover pretty heavy material like racism, genocide, the atrocities of war, sacrifice, progress and science vs traditions and religion, and so on.

Evangelion is also nice, though its really hard to tell if they're really being 'deep' or if they're just using iconic imagery and themes that seem deep, but really don't know where the hell they're going.

Beck: Mongolian Chop Squad is probably the best slice-of-life anime I've ever seen thanks to it being very down-to-earth about everything, though its not all that deep (other than things like corruption in the entertainment industry, but I don't think that really counts). Though it still manages to throw in some tasteful maturity, sometimes through tasteless immaturity.

I've recently gotten into Gankusuou: The Count of Monte Cristo, which is a strange little show about corruption in the fictional future French aristocracy, if that intrigues you.
I've also heard good things about House of Five Leaves, which I haven't gotten around to seeing yet but I hear it features some dark, unsavory things.

Deevian

Dec 21, 2007
(gawd, hard to keep up with new posts when they're coming out so fast)

Ahem. I'll get behind Eve no Jikan (it's quite good, albeit short) and Mushishi (it lacks a continuous narrative though), and I'm adding Legend of the Galactic Heroes to the list - a space opera that messes with both politics and warfare tactics and strategies.

Technicolor

Jan 23, 2011
maninahat said:
Technicolor said:
Honestly I can't recommend you anything. I can't think of any quality anime that takes a simple approach without the use of rather extreme visual content.

Really because most animation, or at least good animated products, tend to emphasize the visual aspects of their subject.
It's like if Pixar said "Up should be a down to earth drama, about a man struggling to cope with the death of his wife & and his aging mediocrity", and then dropped the part about living a life of adventure and reaching your dreams.

I can reccomend you comic books, particularly the works of Alan Moore, I don't know if you'd consider them "mature" enough

(Btw, I agree on Elfen Lied, it really could've used a better director)
I kind of agree with you, in that cartoons tend to rely on visual extremity (which often leads to excessive graphic violence, extreme exploits, and larger than life characters). Though I know plenty of examples that don't. Yes, I would consider Moore to be mature, though the movie version of Watchmen isn't. For some reason, the film felt it had to raise the game, showing slow motion death and splatter to the extent that it crosses the line from stark to indulgent. That is the problem I have with much anime. It crosses that line.
I too have this problem with Anime, I don't really like much of it, but that is because of Japanese sensibilities of what is appropriate. Pretty much all the exaggerative breasts and over excessive gore in a series that is no way focused upon that.

I personally do consider Cowboy Bebop to be mature, particularly for its subtlety in subject matter of space age crime, which could have beccome another cliche space opera, but never actually pulls things too ridiculous, and the main storyline could easily be a 1930's era gangster flick.

In summation, I don't for look for subtle maturity in anime (or animation in general). I find appeal in purposely over the top shows that don't take itself too seriously, but at the same time doesn't sacrifice the quality of the main plot.

Chairman Miaow

CBA to change avatar
Nov 18, 2009
I would have said both full metal alchemist and full metal alchemist: brotherhood.
for me, everything right about anime. When it's funny it's funny, when it's serious, it's scary, touching, disturbing. At least that's how I remember it.

KefkaCultist

Jun 8, 2010
I have nothing to suggest that hasn't already been said, so I'll just re-recommend Fullmetal Alchemist, Death Note, FLCL, and Higurashi No Naku Koro Ni as some really good ones.

Also, I really like the anime Slayers. Its got its moments of silly, but its not uber-over the top childish either.

ConstantJoe

Apr 10, 2009
I haven't seen much anime, and I think it may have been already suggested, but I really enjoyed Welcome to the NHK.

mireko

Umbasa
Sep 23, 2010
maninahat said:
Alright, you've all seen a topic posted like this every other day. This one is slighlty different however.

Basically, I'm tired of how immature anime is, and I want to watch a show that'll convince me that anime can be for a smart, adult audience. DO NOT RECOMMEND ME ELFEN LIED. That show is exactly the kind of childish, immaturity I am talking about: a show that pretends to be sober and intelligent, but resorts to cheesecake cat girls, inappropriate panty shots at dramatic moments, and sensationalist gore. Adult content does not equal maturity.

I have already seen The Grave of The Fire Flies and Monster, those two being examples of good, mature anime. If you can find me something along those lines, I'd be grateful.
Elfen Lied has so many more problems than cat girls and panty shots. It's one of the most vile, utterly retarded and misogynistic animes I've ever seen. The OP just adds insult to injury by being the only good part of the show.

Anyway, I second the suggestions of Kino's Journey, Ghost in the Shell: SAC[footnote]The first movie is excellent too. It has a completely different tone, and for a while I was convinced that the series was superior, but upon rewatching it I realized that the film is a masterpiece. The second film.. well, not quite so much.[/footnote] and Paranoia Agent (although that show is full of unlikeable characters, leading me to wonder if Satoshi Kon just hated the audience).

I'd also like to add a suggestion for Dennou Coil. Now, at first glance this will probably sound like it won't fit into your parameters at all, but it's a great series. The protagonists are all children, but it's deviously well-written and features some very interesting ideas. In other words, good sci-fi.

I'm not sure where you stand on Yuri, so I'll recommend Aoi Hana as well. Yes, this one is also about High School students. However, it's very sober. It doesn't use any of the visual effects commonly associated with anime, and the characters are very believable. The anime unfortunately cuts short, but if you like it you can track down the manga.

There's also Boogiepop Phantom. It dodges pretty much every common anime trope, but it's also kind of hard to watch. I would still recommend giving it a try, though.

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
Jayse said:
Monster.

http://myanimelist.net/anime/19/Monster

Try that one on for size.
I need to watch that, isn't it made by the guy who made: 20th/21st Century Boy's?

maninahat

Nov 8, 2007
JoJoDeathunter said:
If you want an anime that's more mature and realistic, then I'd recommend Aishiteruze Baby, which is about a high-school student who has to take care of his younger cousion after her mother abandons her. It's fairly light-hearted but over around 26 episodes manages to tackle themes such as child abuse, suicide and parental abandoment in a serious manner, but always remaining upbeat overall. I can also guarantee it is 100% free of overt fanservice, magic, extreme violence and gore.
Champion. Will take a closer look.

Tartarga

Jun 4, 2008
I'd recommend you try out Higashi no Eden. http://myanimelist.net/anime/5630/Higashi_no_Eden
I haven't watched enough of it yet to know if it could be considered a mature anime but its worth a chance none the less.

lord canti

May 30, 2009
Rabid Toilet said:
I'll second Higurashi No Naku Koro Ni.

The first episode or two make it seem like it will be kind of silly.

Trust me when I say keep watching.
" Well this seems like a lighthearted series. Their all playing tag and having fun at school. That sweet she gave him food wait what in it dear god. Hold on a second what's he doing with that bat.

deathbydeath

Jun 28, 2010
i can't believe no one's reccomended it already, but claymore. it somehow manages to have blond women beating the shit out of each other with swords, but still manages to touch on some great themes as well as not oversexualize its characters

crazyhyena645

Feb 19, 2011
some of my favorites and in my opinon some really good ones would be "scryed","high school of the dead","berserk","Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann","seikon no qwaser" these are all good animes for different reasons and i would recomend you check them all out.

Darktau

Totally Ergo Proxy
Mar 10, 2009
Ergo proxy is as mature as you can friggin' get, hell your IQ goes up from just watching it.

quitter

Mar 12, 2011
best adult orientated anime that still has anime characteristics of strange powers etc that i've seen is speed grapher
About a photo journalist in a poor japan who discovers a strange club based around ultimate pleasure....don't worry not a hentai

http://www.animenfo.com/animetitle,1650,bjjpae,speed_grapher.html

Nickolai77

Apr 3, 2009
I'd recommend Ergo Proxy, i'm currently watching my way through it. I'm not quite sure how i would describe it- wikipedia says it "is a science fiction suspense anime television series" and "has been described as dark science fiction mystery with philosophical underpinnings."

Edit, ninja'd, should have read the 2nd page.