Recommend an Anime series for me

Murrdox

Nov 20, 2012
Hey guys,

I'm somewhat out-of-touch with modern anime. I'd like a new series to watch because I'm going to start working out soon, and it'd be a great way to keep me motivated.

I'd love a great action anime with a good story as well. I like both sci-fi based and fantasy based series, don't have a strong preference. I've seen some of the more popular anime out there. I'm not into Naruto or Bleach.

My favorite anime:
Berserk
Basilisk
Macross Plus / Robotech
Trigun
Cowboy Bebop
Death Note

Anyone got some good recommendations for me?

sextus the crazy

Oct 15, 2011
Puella Magi Madoka Magica (Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica) (super high recommendation)
Code Geass
Black Lagoon (not exactly fantasy, but action with story and development)

By any chance have you read the Berserk manga? the anime only tells part of the story and the manga blows it out of the water in terms of quality.

Kontarek

Aug 1, 2012
Country
USA
Since you like Cowboy Bebop I'd recommend you check out Samurai Champloo, which is Shinichiro Watanabe's other kickass show. It shares a lot of similarities with Bebop, but it's awesome enough in its own right to be worth checking out.

That same director also debuted a brand new show last year called Sakamichi no Apollon (Kids on the Slope) with a jazz soundtrack produced by Yoko Kanno (of Bebop soundtrack fame). It's a show about a bunch of high school kids in 1960s Japan, so not a whole lot of action, but if you liked the music from Bebop or just like jazz in general I'd highly recommend it.

Obligatory awesome clip from show:

I also got into another new show from last year called Sword Art Online, which is about a virtual reality MMORPG where the players who log in on the first day discover that they have no means of logging out, and that if they die in the game they die in the real world. The only way means of escape they're offered is by clearing all 100 floors of the game, which will immediately free everyone.

It's a pretty polarizing show with plenty of raving fans and haters alike, and I'll admit it certainly isn't perfect, but I still really enjoyed it all the same. At the very least I'd say it's worth checking out.

Murrdox

Nov 20, 2012
sextus the crazy said:
By any chance have you read the Berserk manga? the anime only tells part of the story and the manga blows it out of the water in terms of quality.
I've read a decent chunk of it! Some of the Manga storylines devolve a little bit too much into Gats just going nuts and destroying everything. After awhile each panel of Gats killing something tends to look a little bit like every OTHER panel of Gats killing something... but for the most part the stories are really awesome.

Thanks for the recommendations, I'll look into these. I have seen Samurai Champloo. Sword Art Online sounds interesting enough to watch the first episode and see what I think. I'll look into Puella Magi Madoka since you recommend that one so highly.

The last anime that I saw that grabbed me HARD was Last Exile. I loved that series. In contrast I tried watching Darker than Black a few months ago... I lost interest after a couple episodes.

Lazy-Man

Jan 7, 2013
Murrdox said:
Hey guys,

I'm somewhat out-of-touch with modern anime. I'd like a new series to watch because I'm going to start working out soon, and it'd be a great way to keep me motivated.

I'd love a great action anime with a good story as well. I like both sci-fi based and fantasy based series, don't have a strong preference. I've seen some of the more popular anime out there. I'm not into Naruto or Bleach.

My favorite anime:
Berserk
Basilisk
Macross Plus / Robotech
Trigun
Cowboy Bebop
Death Note

Anyone got some good recommendations for me?
First of all, have you only watched the anime for Berserk? or read the Manga for it as well? Trust me the Manga is way better, and in is my opinion, the best Manga ever.

Anime on the other hand...
Try Detroit Metal City, although I'd recommend getting into metal music itself before you watch this.
Baccano is fun, cool characters, nice twists, funny moments.
Ghost in the Shell, easily one of the best sci-fi anime in recent history, also be sure to check out all the GITS movies.
Akira, I can't vouch for the anime movie (I have heard it is pretty good though), but I can say the manga is truly magnificent, I like to picture it as the brain manga on par with Berserk's heart.
Golden Boy, this is kinda mature, and very vulgar in that whole Japanese way (Really guys only).
Fist of The North Star, from what I read of the mange (see Akira, for my reasoning) it was awesome, gory post-apocalyptic kung-fu battles. Had to stop because the various sources from which I obtained it were missing volumes here and there.
Mushi-shi, this one is different to all the others. This one is more of a serial than a series, in that it never really climaxes with any bombastic villain, a bit like The Twilight Zone or The Outer Limits, except with clever sci-fantasy-esque explanations for various Japanese folk-myths.

I mean I could recommend more manga, which can be obtained via ahem questionable means.(Shigarui, Vagabond, Drifters, A Fairy Tale for The Demon King)

WAIT, WAIT!

Have you watched Dragon Ball/Dragon Ball Z? It wasn't on your favourites, so I just assumed, you know? How could it not be on anyone's favourites?

Murrdox

Nov 20, 2012
fapper plain said:
Because some people like seeing a fight that takes less than 20 episodes? >.>

@OP: I'd recommend Clannad/Clannad After Story (slice of life/drama/all the feels), Eureka 7 (fantasy/mecha/adventure, very tight and interesting plot), and Higurashi (very bizarre, surreal mystery/horror with a good amount of gore and squeamish moments. If that doesn't turn you off of it, than you'll probably enjoy it quite a bit).
Thanks, those ALL sound really good! I'm an avid horror fan, I loved the horror aspects at the conclusion of Berserk. There are so few horror animes that I've really enjoyed. I feel so many of them simply devolve into demons and demon possession, such as "Devil Man" for example. I did like Devil Man though.

I just found an anime series that looks pretty intriguing... Samurai 7. Seems like this one is well regarded. Thoughts on that one?

Murrdox

Nov 20, 2012
Lazy-Man said:
Murrdox said:
Have you watched Dragon Ball/Dragon Ball Z? It wasn't on your favourites, so I just assumed, you know? How could it not be on anyone's favourites?
Simply because you brought up Dragon Ball Z (yes I've seen it) I just want to make sure you've seen Dragon Ball Z Abridged. I just discovered this a couple weeks ago :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJcrRUK9vZg

K84

Feb 15, 2010
Psycho-Pass.

Because it's the only anime i watch. (currently)
Somebody recommended it to me, knowing my cyberpunk itch.
So...it's a partially biased recommendation,but i actually like it.
Not as good as Ergo Proxy though.

mechashiva77

Jul 10, 2011
Samurai Champloo. It's the only anime to make me laugh, cheer, pissed off, and cry like a baby throughout the whole series.

Murrdox

Nov 20, 2012
K84 said:
Psycho-Pass.

Because it's the only anime i watch. (currently)
Somebody recommended it to me, knowing my cyberpunk itch.
So...it's a partially biased recommendation,but i actually like it.
Not as good as Ergo Proxy though.
I'll have to check both those out. A quick wikipedia glance at Psycho-Pass has me intrigued. I love Cyberpunk. Ghost in the Shell is great but it's a little heavy on the conspiracy theory for my personal taste. Still enjoy it though.

sextus the crazy

Oct 15, 2011
Murrdox said:
fapper plain said:
Because some people like seeing a fight that takes less than 20 episodes? >.>

@OP: I'd recommend Clannad/Clannad After Story (slice of life/drama/all the feels), Eureka 7 (fantasy/mecha/adventure, very tight and interesting plot), and Higurashi (very bizarre, surreal mystery/horror with a good amount of gore and squeamish moments. If that doesn't turn you off of it, than you'll probably enjoy it quite a bit).
Thanks, those ALL sound really good! I'm an avid horror fan, I loved the horror aspects at the conclusion of Berserk. There are so few horror animes that I've really enjoyed. I feel so many of them simply devolve into demons and demon possession, such as "Devil Man" for example. I did like Devil Man though.

I just found an anime series that looks pretty intriguing... Samurai 7. Seems like this one is well regarded. Thoughts on that one?
Have you watched Higurashi no naku koro ni (When the Cicadas Cry, or just "when they cry")?

*shudders*

It's good.

Murrdox

Nov 20, 2012
sextus the crazy said:
Have you watched Higurashi no naku koro ni (When the Cicadas Cry, or just "when they cry")?

*shudders*

It's good.
Nope, that's a new one to me as well. I'll look into it. So many great ideas in this thread!

sextus the crazy

Oct 15, 2011
Murrdox said:
sextus the crazy said:

*shudders*

It's good.
Nope, that's a new one to me as well. I'll look into it. So many great ideas in this thread!
We'll escapist is full of nerd and nerd is full of weeb, so what do you expect?

Also, just remembered steins;gate. It's an excellent anime about time travel.
Don't watch it's sucessor series chaos;head. From what I've heard, it sucks.

savandicus

Jun 5, 2008
I would like to put forward a little bit of a different anime called

Steins Gate

Watch two episodes and you'll be hooked. There are 24 in total so its relatively short but its one of the best animes I watched last year. I'd explain the plot and what its like but I really wouldn't be able to do it justice. Start watching it and at the end of the first episode you'll probably be thinking "Wait what?" and be compelled to watch the other 25.

Edit: DAMNIT ninjaed by the person above me.

thesilentman

What this
Jun 14, 2012
You want good anime? I'm going to recommend Darker than Black. It's an interesting story about people with super-powers at the cost of their emotions. I say watch the first season, as the second season is quite inferior to the first. The OVA's fine to watch though, and takes place between the Season 1 and Season 2.

sextus the crazy

Oct 15, 2011
savandicus said:
I would like to put forward a little bit of a different anime called

Steins Gate

Watch two episodes and you'll be hooked. There are 24 in total so its relatively short but its one of the best animes I watched last year. I'd explain the plot and what its like but I really wouldn't be able to do it justice. Start watching it and at the end of the first episode you'll probably be thinking "Wait what?" and be compelled to watch the other 25.

Edit: DAMNIT ninjaed by the person above me.
haha, just saw this. Perfect timing.

captcha: thank you

Palademon

Mar 20, 2010
Code Geass is where I recommened after Death Note. It's got some sci-fi which you like, and a more redeemable main character, but with practically the same themes. It's got way more anime tropes though, which is why I use it to ease in after Death Note.

If you wanna give more mecha a try I'd say Gundam 00 as the entry point for Gundam's real robot universe.
If you want a super robot series where people actually get hyped about the non-sense (took me half the series to though), Gurren Lagann.

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
Vision of Escaflowne - Bit weird, but a classic.

Wolf's Rain - Really weird at times, but a classic.

Bastard!! - They never FINISHED the series, but the OVA is pretty good.