Recommend/Discuss Good War Films and Series

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
So I've been on a kick lately with World War 2 films and TV series. Some of you might recall a thread I made a few months ago about TV series that made me physically uncomfortable to watch, and my example was the emotionally draining series The Pacific.

Well, I decided to watch the series again to get a better understanding of it and the characters. But now that I've finished, I'm looking for some new material to sate my thirst. It doesn't have to be World War 2 specifically; if you know any good war films, I'd like to hear them.

I've considered watching The Thin Red Line, the so-called competitor of Saving Private Ryan (if only by virtue of them both being war films released the same year). I've heard good things about the film, but I am wary of Terrence Malick's directing style. I wasn't a great fan of Tree of Life, so I don't know how the guy handles War drama.

I'm also not looking explicitly for things to kill my soul, if you know a good, entertaining or fun natured film that happens to be in a war context, lay it on me. I love Kelly's Heroes.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
The Dirty Dozen comes to mind, though...yeah.

I personally happen to like Spyforce, but that's a rather obscure Australian series from the 70s or so.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
delta4062 said:
If you want something similar to Band Of Brothers/The Pacific. Generation Kill somewhat fits that bill. It's an HBO Miniseries.
That's the one about the War Correspondent who is assigned to a Marine unit, right?

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
delta4062 said:
If you want something similar to Band Of Brothers/The Pacific. Generation Kill somewhat fits that bill. It's an HBO Miniseries.
Only, set in the Gulf War, so not very WW2.

But yeah, supposed to be one of the most accurate depictions of marines around.

Mr. Charles

Oct 23, 2011
Where Eagles Dare - clssic WW2movie with Clint Eastwood - really worth a watch
The Eagle Has Landed - also a classic WW2 movie but no CLint Eastwood - worth a watch
Dambbusters - aslo very good

Those a three classic films and all are very good :)

Private Custard

Dec 30, 2007
If it's facts you want, have you ever watched 'The World at War'?

26 episodes, covering every aspect of WWII, narrated by Laurence Olivier.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0071075/

Also, I recently watched 'Restrepo', a documentary of one platoons year in the Korengal Valley, Afghanistan.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1559549/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

I'll also put in a good word for 'Generation Kill'.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Apocalypse: World War 2 is one of the best war documentaries I've ever seen. It's made up strictly of war footage, taking you from the attack on Poland to the capitulation of Japan. It showed me a lot of things I never knew, like the Russian bomb dogs. Eesh.

Private Custard

Dec 30, 2007
delta4062 said:
Also I'm not sure if you're aware Soviet, but Speilberg plans to do a third WWII Miniseries. This time focusing on what the Air Force of the time was. Focusing on what I believe are the bomber crews over Europe. Makes sense seeing as how he's done the Army and Navy. I don't have the foggiest when it'll be out though.
And if he decides to go US-only again, ignoring the 65,536 bomber command personnel who died, I'll never forgive him.

Private Custard

Dec 30, 2007
delta4062 said:
Private Custard said:
delta4062 said:
Also I'm not sure if you're aware Soviet, but Speilberg plans to do a third WWII Miniseries. This time focusing on what the Air Force of the time was. Focusing on what I believe are the bomber crews over Europe. Makes sense seeing as how he's done the Army and Navy. I don't have the foggiest when it'll be out though.
And if he decides to go US-only again, ignoring the 65,536 bomber command personnel who died, I'll never forgive him.
http://au.ign.com/articles/2013/01/21/steven-spielberg-and-tom-hanks-plan-new-wwii-mini-series

"The source material this time around will be Donald L. Miller?s non-fiction book Masters of the Air: America?s Bomber Boys Who Fought the War Against Nazi Germany."

I have no issue with it. While I would like to see a miniseries based on the Australian Imperial Force at the time. Or maybe the Brits in North Africa. Both miniseries so far have been absolutely fantastic.
There's no doubting the excellence of both Band of Brothers, and The Pacific.

What I fear though, is that entire generations are being brought up to think that it was the US alone who won the war. Many people just won't look for documentaries such as 'The World at War', or 'Apocalypse : World War 2'. True stories, from all sides.

How many people know (or even care) that during the Battle of Britain, when our small island stood almost alone, there were 450 Australian pilots, 30 Belgians, 83 Canadians, 140 Poles, and many more?

To be frank, not many people on the other side of the pond seem to care much for anything that happened before July 1941, and it's really quite annoying.

To be honest, it's in insult to those that fought and died in, amongst others, these....

These....

and these....

And yes, these are my own shots :)

Mr. Charles

Oct 23, 2011
Also - Flowers of War with Christian Bale - overlooked in the box office but a very emotive film

BathorysGraveland2

Feb 9, 2013
I quite liked Hamburger Hill. The setting is cool - Vietnam is perfect for gritty war scenarios. The battle scenes were great, the story was the usual but done well, and I liked how it wasn't biased. It didn't portray the North Vietnamese as some kind of monster, but as genuine people fighting for a different ideal. I dug it. It's probably the best Vietnam war film I've seen.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
delta4062 said:
I didn't hear that. If it's over Europe chances are they're doing a series on the Mighty 8th, 8th Air force. I saw a trailer for something similar (called the Mighty 8th, in fact), but it looked awful. But if there's another miniseries coming, I'll definitely watch for it.

Shock and Awe

Winter is Coming
Sep 6, 2008
Enemy at the Gates-all about the battle of Stalingrad

Downfall-battle of Berlin and the last days of Nazianz Germany

Patton-you already know

Jarhead-marines sit in desert.

Act of VALOR-SEALS look bad as

Heartbreak Ridge-Clint Eastwood

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
Private Custard said:
I'll also add to my earlier list...

Tora, Tora, Tora
Midway
Das Boot
Until I started reading war novels for myself, I had no idea of the sort of hell people like the Polish had to go through in that war, or their contributions to the Allies. They gave the RAF some excellent pilots and even managed to steal a (launched, relatively undamaged) V2 rocket and transport it to Britain. Holy shit.

OT: I would probably add The Longest Day and A Bridge Too Far in the unlikely event that you haven't seen them already. Those are the two I seem to hear people talk about the most.