Recommend Games that have Extensive Weapon Crafting

ZodiacMaster101

Jul 6, 2010
So recently I just got done playing Dead Space 3 and Army of Two Devil's Cartel, and one thing that I really liked was either crafting weapons in Dead Space 3 or heavily customizing them in Devil's Cartel. So I was wondering if anybody here could recommend me some games that have weapon crafting as a important gameplay element, or if someone could recommend a place where I could find a list of games that heavily feature weapon crafting.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Uhhmmm...Skyrim, maybe? The Mass Effect games have weapon mods I guess. Bioshock maybe?
I mean weapon mod as a central element? Not too many of those.

theSovietConnection

Survivor, VDNKh Station
Jan 14, 2009
Since you played Devil's Cartel I'm going to guess you've already played it, but the weapon customisation in 40th Day is rather extensive. You may be interested in the Rainbow Six: Vegas games as well, though I don't know if the weapon customisation will be quite as extensive as you're looking for.

EDIT: I completely forget, but if PC gaming is also an option for you, take a look at Breach and Clear.

Resistance343

Oct 12, 2014
fallout 3 or fallout new Vegas both have quite a lot of weapon crafting and repairing and there are some mods that improve the weapon crafting.

briankoontz

May 17, 2010
I would really enjoy a game that combined a blacksmith/magic infusing simulator with either a merchant simulator or some other form of interacting with customers (such as investing in adventurers).

There's no game I'm aware of that goes into deep detail regarding the construction of weapons (or armor). It's mostly "press two buttons, sword happens".

So yeah, market niche currently untapped, if any developer wants to get on that.

The best weapon crafting that currently exists is in games like Minecraft or Dead Rising, which is "acquire three ingredients, get to workstation, press two buttons".

baddude1337

Taffer
Jun 9, 2010
theSovietConnection said:
EDIT: I completely forget, but if PC gaming is also an option for you, take a look at Breach and Clear.
Or Iphone, which it started out on, and yeah it has a fair bit of customization.

OT: Hmm, let's see... Metal Gear Solid 4 has pretty decent customization, and Phantom Pain will have even more. New Vegas has both crafting and weapon customization. There's quite a few, but I can't think of too many at the moment.

Mikeybb

Nunc est Durandum
Aug 19, 2014
I suspect it will be a component of the upcoming Fallout 4, though I'm honestly having trouble coming up with an addition to the list already presented by other posters which you could get now.

Space Siege had some weapon/armour crafting elements.

I'm sure the upgrade options in the metro series were present, but my memory may be playing tricks on me here.

The best system I can think of is the version available in the original release of the now defunct StarWarsGalaxies.
Crafting in that game was the heart and soul of the system.
Excellently made (initially) and essential to the non crafting types.
Until they killed it with non permanent degrading equipment, then all you could sell were repair kits and guns made from the best materials...
If I start talking about that, I won't stop.

Oh SWG, how I miss thee before the plague of NGE claimed thee.

DeadProxy

Sep 15, 2010
briankoontz said:
I would really enjoy a game that combined a blacksmith/magic infusing simulator with either a merchant simulator or some other form of interacting with customers (such as investing in adventurers).

There's no game I'm aware of that goes into deep detail regarding the construction of weapons (or armor). It's mostly "press two buttons, sword happens".

So yeah, market niche currently untapped, if any developer wants to get on that.

The best weapon crafting that currently exists is in games like Minecraft or Dead Rising, which is "acquire three ingredients, get to workstation, press two buttons".
I had a feeling this rang a bell. There is actually a 3ds game that was released a while ago that is pretty much just what you described. You get customers, smith out a weapon using the touchpad, and then you get information on how well the person using your weapon is doing on their quest, if I understand the review I just skimmed over.

It's called Weapon Shop de Omasse on the eshop.

Metalmacher

Jan 24, 2015
Dragon Age Inquisition. Great crafting system, you can even create custom handles to greatswords or grips for bows. Game doesn't have NG+ plus though, so it's kinda moot due to that...

FrozenLaughs

Sep 9, 2013
What was that one Sega did with the 3 kids shooting guns that you did crazy mods to and the whole map was a hex grid you unlocked with puzzle pieces? That was an interesting one I never finished!

syaoran728

Aug 4, 2010
FrozenLaughs said:
What was that one Sega did with the 3 kids shooting guns that you did crazy mods to and the whole map was a hex grid you unlocked with puzzle pieces? That was an interesting one I never finished!
You're thinking of Resonance of Fate. Kinda weird, but fun game.

OP: Try Monster Hunter or any of the games in its genre like God Eater, Tokiden, Freedom Wars, or Soul Sacrifice. They're built around the simple concept of kill things and make weapons and armor to kill stronger things. Most of them have a good online community too.

BarryMcCociner

Feb 23, 2015
For all of Dragon Age: Inquisition's faults, the weapon and armor crafting is decent and extensive enough.

Exploitable as hell, though.

KenAri

Jan 13, 2013
Probably not what you're after, but I feel compelled to mention Dead Rising. Have a hockey stick and a chainsaw? Why not make a chainswordlance.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
Only a few games come to mind. Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning, if you're into fantasy RPG's. But I don't know if I'd call that extensive. Someone mentioned the upcoming Fallout 4. I would suggest that you keep an eye on Metal Gear Solid V as well. It comes out this September, unless they delay it. E3 demo showed us that you can take any part of any gun and put it on any other gun to create whatever kind of weapon you want, and you can discover and unlock other parts of weapons throughout the course of the game. It looks pretty amazing.

dangoball

Jun 20, 2011
Mikeybb said:
Space Siege had some weapon/armour crafting elements.
OP, listen to me, avoid Space Siege like the plague. It's a bad game and the crafting is essentially "find enough of universal resource, press button, get gun". I had hoped for a Dungeon Siege in space and boy was I disappointed.

Eh, as for an actual recommendation? Bastion and Deus Ex: Human Revolution have something of a weapon modification system, though I wouldn't call it crafting and it's certainly not a central element. Sorry, I'm a bit out of my depth on this one.

Kerg3927

Jun 8, 2015
BarryMcCociner said:
For all of Dragon Age: Inquisition's faults, the weapon and armor crafting is decent and extensive enough.

Exploitable as hell, though.
Agree. That might have been the highlight of the entire game. The crafting system was fun. Although, as you pointed out, if you min/maxed crafting your gear, it broke the game. You quickly found yourself OP'd and facerolling through things.