Recommend me a comic book series please

Mister Benoit

Sep 19, 2008
Alright so I've never been an avid comic book reader but about a month ago I picked up the first trade paper back of "The Walking Dead" and I was instantly hooked. I'm currently half way through book 12 with only 13 left and i'm kind of bummed that I won't have anything to read until 14 comes out.

Anyways I'd like you guys to recommend some different series to me. These are sort of guidelines I hope they fall into otherwise I don't think they'd really interest me.

- Single Universe/time line
- Characters I can relate to (Probably not super heroes)
- Has a reasonable amount of issues

Anyways thanks for your suggestions in advance, if you could leave me with a brief idea of what their story is that'd be appreciated also ^_^

Aurgelmir

WAAAAGH!
Nov 11, 2009
Mister Benoit said:
Alright so I've never been an avid comic book reader but about a month ago I picked up the first trade paper back of "The Walking Dead" and I was instantly hooked. I'm currently half way through book 12 with only 13 left and i'm kind of bummed that I won't have anything to read until 14 comes out.

Anyways I'd like you guys to recommend some different series to me. These are sort of guidelines I hope they fall into otherwise I don't think they'd really interest me.

- Single Universe/time line
- Characters I can relate to (Probably not super heroes)
- Has a reasonable amount of issues

Anyways thanks for your suggestions in advance, if you could leave me with a brief idea of what their story is that'd be appreciated also ^_^
Now I do not know you so I have no idea what you can relate to...

I personally read a lot of Marvel Comics, which is super heroes, and as MovieBob will tell you its a ***** to get into.

But if you are interested in trying some Superhero stuff I recommend something from Marvels Ultimate Universe.

Ultimate Marvel is a pretty Seperate Universe from the normal Marvel comic, and was started about 10 years ago, so there sin't a lot of back story to follow.

Ultimate Spider-man and the Ultimates was what got me hooked in the first place, check both of them out.

This gives you One single Timeline and Universe to follow, and it gives you TONS of books (Think Ultimate Spider-man is close to 30 books now)

Gabanuka

Oct 1, 2009
I cant really recomend what you asked for but if you give up and want to give the sups a chance I recommend Civil war as a place to start.

Mister Benoit

Sep 19, 2008
I double posted my thread by mistake because my net was wonky, anyone know how I can get a hold of a mod to take the other one down? I thought reporting would allow me to contact one but now i've just reported myself >.<

I think I might give Sandman from Vertigo a try, read the wiki and seems interesting.

The Reason why I really liked The Walking Dead is because at least in the beginning Rick Greaves was a very normal man who was just transformed because of the world around him. Throughout the series you meet a bunch of people who have released their true colours due to the need for survival.

Anyways keep them coming guys, maybe someone will strike gold =p

kasperTFG

Aug 5, 2009
The most immediate that spring to mind are these...

Transmetropolitan (Basically Hunter Thompson in the future. It's incredible...by Warren Ellis, pub. by Vertigo/DC)
Y, The Last Man (by Brian K. Vaughn, pub. by Vertigo/DC)
Preacher (by Garth Ennis, pub. by Vertigo/DC)

That should get you started. All of these are also already finished, so there is an end to all of them. Also, check out The Invisibles (by Grant Morrison, also under Vertigo/DC) if you're in the mood for a mindfuck.

Doktor Sleepless

Jan 4, 2011
By the sounds of it you want a self-contained author owned series. You should try:

Transmetropolitan by Warren Ellis (Far-future Cyberpunk take on Hunter S Thompson)
Preacher by Garth Ennis (Only if you like the sick and twisted)
Sandman by Neil Gaiman (Much higher a class of comic series)
Ex Machina by Brian K Vaughn (Political drama about the world's only superhero who quit and became mayor of New York)

Or anything else by those writers.

zombiesinc

One day, we'll wake the zombies
Mar 29, 2010
Mister Benoit said:
I double posted my thread by mistake because my net was wonky, anyone know how I can get a hold of a mod to take the other one down? I thought reporting would allow me to contact one but now i've just reported myself >.<
*snaps fingers*

And behold! The thread has completely vanished!

KEM10

Oct 22, 2008
Hellblazer. Just don't associate it with the Constantine movie and you'll be fine.

Kpt._Rob

Travelling Mushishi
Apr 22, 2009
Elmoth said:
I'm not exactly an avid comic book fan. But I read allot of Hellboy.

It's a single universe. The characters are relatable, but that differs for everyone. And It has a large ammount of issues and alot of self contained stories.

If you need a summary of hellboy: It's about a professor Bruttenholm who discovers a demon summoned by the nazi's. He raises him as his son to fight occult threats in the Bureau for paranormal research and defence, which he helped create.
I would second a recommendation of Hellboy, although I don't know that I feel that Elmoth's description here does it justice, mostly because it makes Hellboy sound like a pretty conventional comic book story, which it's not. The magic that makes Hellboy so unique is that Mike Mignola, the series' creator, has a passionate love for mythology and folklore from around the world, which he uses as the basis for stories into which he injects Hellboy. At times it delves into seemingly Lovecraftian horror, at others it will explore some really fascinating tales from other cultures. So in most Hellboy stories what you get is actually like reading very dark versions of various creation/apocalypse myths and ghost tales with Hellboy, who plays a sort of tragic hero (tragic in that the nature of his birth seems to have trapped him in a role which has caused the rest of the world to believe he will ultimately bring about the world's end, something he's clearly aware of, as he's also aware that he may ultimately have to sacrifice himself to save the world).

I think that if you like the sort of elevated level on which The Walking Dead (which is also one of my favorite series) is written, you'll probably also enjoy Hellboy. It's not a human narrative in the way that The Walking Dead is, but there's a lot of really good stuff, and you won't have to bury yourself in a Kafkaesque maze of continuity to understand what's going on.

Mister Benoit

Sep 19, 2008
Ahhh.. I'm going to pass by the comic shops after work tomorrow and check out Sandman & Hellboy.

I finally understand what my girlfriend feels like when I go shopping for games. When I walk into a comic book store I just feel completely overwhelmed by the ridiculous amount of content there. I just don't really know where to start and if it's a good place to start.

A lot of it just blurs into a single entity.

Lord Deathray

Dec 9, 2010
You can try:
The Maxx, it have really good story and caracters and it is just trully a blast to read, but you have to be able to aceept that it is weird and confusing, but all will be explained
Scott Pillgrim, fun, well told
Fabels, fairy tales figures who have taken refuge in your universe and is trying to live togheter.
Lucky Luke, Asterix, Spirou et Fantasio (the Franquin-period is REALLY good). If you want to try some European stuff
Just ask if there is something you want to know about the series.

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
Scott Pilgrim vs The World?
Sandman by Neil Gaiman
Hellblazer, or Preacher, if you can find them.
Those are the only ones I can think of.

ComicsAreWeird

Oct 14, 2010
Y the last man is perfect for you.

It´s in a self contained universe,has a reasonable amount of issues,the main character is relatable, it has the average dude who has to deal with an extraordinary situation that changes mankind...and its really well written and character driven, with some nice polt twists.

Also...check out Preacher, Sandman, Midnight Nation and The Stand. Great stuff.

Diablo2000

Tiger Robocop
Aug 29, 2010
Mister Benoit said:
I think I might give Sandman from Vertigo a try, read the wiki and seems interesting.
Yes, you do that... Sandman it's my personal favorite comic book series.
And try out Planetary, there's are some Superhero kinda of characters, but is pretty damn good and the stories are mostly closed...