Recommend me a fun PC shooter

MHR

Apr 3, 2010
I was having a hard time deciding what if anything I should play, and then I decided that thinking for oneself is for suckers so I'll just ask the Escapist instead!

I've been playing Fallout; NV lately and a ton of Team Fortress 2. But In TF2 it gets old having to fight against the other players all the time when I'm on a good server with regular players and some can actually kill me and I've grown tired of spending most of my time managing my inventory and maybe shooting only 15 shots an hour on average.

So, I was wishing I knew of a first or third person shooter for the PC with a decent amount of action and ammo expenditure that perhaps had a unique mechanic or two... that wasn't one of the following that I've already played or have no interest in.

all Half-Lifes
all Bioshocks
all Mass Effects
all Serious Sams (LOTS of fun hardcore shooting, but I've done it up and it's not anything more than mindless carnage)
all GTAs
all Saints Rows
all Red Factions
all Far Crys
both Borderlands
both Monday Night Combats
Both Left 4 Deads
Global Agenda
Planetsides
Star Wars Battlefronts
Metro 2033

Or any shooter/tower defense hybrid.

I'm not adverse to resource management, story, or some things that require patience

So if you could recommend a first or third person shooter for PC, preferably obtainable for the cheap that fits this criteria and explain why, you would be most helpful, thanks! I'm probably not going to announce a winner though, so be prepared for the possibility that I might not instantly worship you for divine guidance.

Or construct an essay on the importance of independent thinking, but I can't promise I'll be thankful.

Aeshi

Dec 22, 2009
Loadout might be worth a look-sie, it's a bit like TF2, only you build your own weapons (I'm working on a Gatling Gun that fires Laser-Guided balls of Lightning atm)

Warframe does have a fair bit of melee combat, but it's still more than possible to play it like an TPS if you want.

Firefall is still kinda in Beta, but I found it fairly good fun (though I admit it didn't keep me absorbed for too long) so you might want to give it a look. It's a bit like Global Agenda, but more open-world.

And lastly, while I don't think its devs are supporting it patch-wise anymore, Tribes: Ascend might be worth a little look, though like Firefall I found it can get a little dull after the first few-dozen hours or so.

And the best part? All of these are F2P!

EDIT:On the more oldschool side of things, the Unreal Tournament series is old but gold, especially UT2004, too bad most of the Sites for mods,maps & other add-ons are gone now :(

I'll also second that recommendation for Killing Floor

Ratty

Jan 21, 2014
Can't go wrong with Doom/Doom 2 or Heretic. Especially if you use a modern source port with mouselook, and consider that once you have Doom 2 you can play literally thousands of free and legal maps and mods, including tons of mapsets that replace the entire original game. I'm also quite fond of Killing Floor as far as co-op games go.

Vkmies

Oct 8, 2009
Go old school. Old school shooters rule. Doom, Doom 2, Wolfenstein 3D (and Return to Castle for a more modern look), Quake and Quake 2, Rise of the Triad, Shadow Warrior, Blood 1 and 2. Retro games kick ass and collecting them, finding them, getting them to work and playing them on original machinery is the most fun you can have with video games! Or if your'e boring, you can just emulate them and play them through GOG and Steam too. ;)

iseko

Dec 4, 2008
Dunno bout single player (impressive list man) but if you want you can try planetside 2. Its free to play and not pay to win. Its large and from tiime to time youre even playing 180vs180. Tends to clog older pcs or people with slow internet sometimes but still: good fun. Prepare to die aLOT tho as a new player. But after a few days you get the hang of and some cheap upgrades( they do a lot)

Ps writing on smartphone so srr bout the spelling.

Edit: woops srr. Seem to have glanced over planetside in your list. Ignore :)

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
MHR said:
Or construct an essay on the importance of independent thinking, but I can't promise I'll be thankful.
Tribes: Ascend is free and hilariously hardcore, no hitscans and jetpacks for all.

Regardless of EA's shenanigans Bad Company 2 and Battlefield 3 remain ace, hardcore conquest and Domination are favourites of mine. BC2 is on Steam but you can buy the retail version for under $10 now, tracer darting an enemy helicopter is worth $10 by itself. BF3 is great but dependant on your willingness to have Origin on your PC.

Hell Battlefield 2 still has a ton of servers and the expansions are all free nowadays too, there's a game with a skill ceiling somewhere up in space.

Quake Live is free and is... Quake.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
Shadow Warrior. Buy it, play it, love it, live it. Let it consume your life because it's probably better than life. It's the most fun single player PC shooter that I've EVER played if I'm being totally honest. And it's quite long for a shooter. Especially these days. It took me 13h to finish it on Normal difficulty. And it's so good I played through it 3 times already. It has a New Game + mode and a Survival Mode.
Don't even bother checking it out before you buy it. Go in without any knowledge of what it's like. That will make it even better.

Also, Call of Juarez: Gunslinger is a fun shooter if you like westerns. It's not very long though, about 6 hours maybe. But it's highly replayable and there's a challenge mode and a New Game + mode.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
Two suggestions:
Shadow Warrior (the new remake was excellent).
Rise of the Triad (the new remake was also excellent).

BloodRed Pixel

Jul 16, 2009
SIN Gold - funny / sick story , imaginative levels and game designs - classic!
Just Cause 2 - open world destruction mayhem very Far Cry 1 like but the JC2 story is just an excuse to cause major destruction.
Hard Reset - take down BIG ROBOTS
Binary Domain - take down BIG ROBOTS with an AI-team in Tokyo - more tactical.
Lost Planet 1 LCE-Edition - very nice settings, good fighting
Max Payne 1/2 but 1 especially and NOT 3 - the game that INVENTED Bullet Time - classic!
Sanctum / 2 - Tower defense/ FPS hybrid. 1 and 2 have different aporaches though and not everybody likes both.
F.E.A.R. 1 - great emeny AI, level design and athomsphere but can get stale after a while, for it's total linearity and lack of enemy variation.

deathbydeath

Jun 28, 2010
FEAR 1, Painkiller, the Max Paynes, and Deus Ex 1 + The Nameless Mod if you're looking for old-school shooters.

Dr Hammer

Aug 26, 2011
You could try Natural Selection 2. It's an online multiplayer RTS/FPS hybrid with some unique mechanics. It's an indie too, so not as expensive as a AAA. It does have quite a steep learning curve, but if you're looking for something 'new' it's worth a go.

Dyan

Nov 27, 2009
Don't know if it's exactly what you're looking for OP, but Just Cause 2 is the biggest barrel of fun I've had in a long while. Pretty much a huge open sandbox with destruct-o-physics and a fun grappling hook mechanic. Pretty much just mindless insane fun.

guitarsniper

Mar 5, 2011
have you played CoD 4: Modern Warfare? If not, do so. It's quite excellent, unlike most subsequent games.

I also highly recommend Warframe: F2P done well, guns are interesting, fun mobility mechanics.

Sniper: Ghost Warrior is pretty good as well.

Synthetica

Jul 10, 2013
You might want to teak a look at:
Xonotic: a open source quake-style fps
TF2 Highlander: Waaaaay more fun than your avarage pub.

qazcake

Oct 28, 2009
Postal 2 is halarious and is very decent.
If you can find it soldier of fortune its a more viloent disememberment system that fallout and very satisfying to blow someones limbs off with the shotgun.

puff ball

Mar 14, 2011
killing floor you should try killing floor. its a class based horde mode, fun with a decent community behind it you should give it a shoot.

AT God

Dec 24, 2008
The new remade Shadow Warrior is pretty fun, its more like Serious Sam except you get an awesome sword that makes you want to refrain from guns, although it does have some guns which are fun as well.

If you enjoyed Metro 2033, Last Light is a good continuation, they made the guns more arcade style and the AI is a lot more forgiving on stealth, but when detected everyone hides immediately and it becomes a tough cover shooter. The DLC packs, especially Tower and Developer have some good straight shooting modes where enemies just flood in and you try and take them on, I found them extremely hard so they might be worth getting. The big problem is that they follow the Serious Sam style of flooding you with enemies but you don't get the mobility or weapons for dealing with hordes of enemies.

Painkiller is also a good Serious Sam-esq game, lots of bunnyhopping, secret hunting, and waves of baddies.