Recommend me a good console RTS

Drummie666

Jan 1, 2011
Okay, this is going to be my first RTS, so I don't have any idea where to begin. So, I'm looking for an RTS that will properly introduce me to the genre, that will guide me through the bare bones basics, but won't just leave me at that and will let me go much farther.

Pre-"why the fuck are you asking for a CONSOLE RTS and not a PC one? Don't you know that a mouse works waaaayyy better to control an RTS than a controller?"
Yeah, I've heard that, but I don't have even a quarterly decent computer. Hell, mine can't run Minecraft on normal distance rendering without obscene lag.
Oh, and BTW, I'm on PS3 ONLY and NOT the 360. Just in case you were thinking of recommending an exclusive but didn't know if I could get it... well, there you go.

Also, I'm not really interested an online multiplayer component, I'd prefer an expansive single player one.

Miles000

is most likly drunk righyt noiw!
Apr 18, 2010
To get started, I would recommend Halo Wars. It gets a lot of shit I know, but my mates and I still always go back to it when I want to play a console RTS.

If/when you are looking for something a little more in depth. Red Alert 3 is a good choice, and it still plays well, and is easy to understand/control on the 360.

dsmops2003

Sep 23, 2009
Command and Conquer Red Alert for your old PC. A fast pc will run the game too fast anyway lol. For your PS3 Command & Conquer: Red Alert 3 will do.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
Sober Thal said:
'Halo Wars' and 'Battle for Middle Earth 2' are the only ones I've ever good things about.
Miles000 said:
To get started, I would recommend Halo Wars. It gets a lot of shit I know, but my mates and I still always go back to it when I want to play a console RTS.

If/when you are looking for something a little more in depth. Red Alert 3 is a good choice, and it still plays well, and is easy to understand/control on the 360.
He's on PS3, not 360.

OT: I don't typically play RTS', but I do believe that there was one released for the PS3 that RTS fans universally agree is the best implementation of RTS into a console that could have happened...now if I could only remember what it's called...maybe Tom Clancy's EndWar? I'm not sure.

EDIT: Most RTS' do have relatively low system requirements, though. My laptop with a dual-core processor and an integrated Intel graphics chip could technically run Sins of a Solar Empire. And as far as older games go, I always enjoyed the Age of Empires series, which should be able to run on almost any computer by now if you could find them.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
well allot of people bitched about brutal legend having rts elements to it, I would suggest getting that, I loved it and it does rts in really the only way that works pretty well on a console

really tho if you want to play a rts game you need a pc since real rts games dont really work on consoles

Miles000

is most likly drunk righyt noiw!
Apr 18, 2010
shrekfan246 said:
Sober Thal said:
'Halo Wars' and 'Battle for Middle Earth 2' are the only ones I've ever good things about.
Miles000 said:

He's on PS3, not 360.

OT: I don't typically play RTS', but I do believe that there was one released for the PS3 that RTS fans universally agree is the best implementation of RTS into a console that could have happened...now if I could only remember what it's called...maybe Tom Clancy's EndWar? I'm not sure.
I missed the not part.

Still, Red Alert 3 is just as good on the PS3 as far as I know.

End War is more of a real time tactical game. But it is still a good choice and I would recommend it. The voice command gameplay makes you feel awesome.

"All artillery, attack hostile 7"

He he.

Grey_Focks

Jan 12, 2010
You know, I was gonna recommend Halo Wars and BFME2, then I saw PS3...and now I've got nothing. And expansive single player, since you don't care about multi player? Ohhhhh boy, you are out of luck in literally every way.

Seriously, I've got nothing. Brutal legend has RTS...elements to it, though it's also a good chunk hack n slash, so that might turn you off if you're just looking for pure strategy. I say start saving up for either a half-decent PC and get older RTS games like Warcraft 3 and Dawn of War, or get an Xbox and halo wars, easily the best console RTS I've ever played.

Giest4life

The Saucepan Man
Feb 13, 2010
LoTR BFME2 is the only consoe RtS I've played, and it is surprisingly good. Buy a used one for like 10 dollars or something--it's definitely worth it.

Tsaba

reconnoiter
Oct 6, 2009
well, can't help you, but, if you had a N64,

you could play the best console RTS out to date.

Cogwheel

Apr 3, 2010
I could suggest a few RTS games that would run on a fairly low-end laptop (such as mine), if you like.

Other than that, quite aside from quality, there's the matter of quantity. Can't say I've even heard of any console RTS I can think of, off the top of my head. I was getting ready to suggest Pikmin, but I suppose that's not an option. Sorry.

Drummie666

Jan 1, 2011
Tsaba said:

Actually. I do have an N64....

Maybe I'll take a look at that too.

PatSilverFox

Apr 2, 2011
:/
I don't believe you can enjoy an rts on a console, at least enjoy it AS much as on a pc.
I wouldn't try it on a console first, it might ruin your entire experience.

Pseudoboss

Apr 17, 2011
I really can't imagine a good Starcraft-esque RTS working, not enough buttons, no mouse, the usual, Brutal Legend had some elements, but that wasn't a real RTS, I remember it feeling closer to a minigame, but I didn't play much of that (I was at my brother's at the time, wasn't able to beat it.). I would recommend older titles, Battle.net has Warcraft and Starcraft 1 for cheap, I think that Starcraft+Brood War was 8 bucks or so. And those would be a good starter, till you get your new computer. They may not be the newest but they're still damn good games.

Tsaba

reconnoiter
Oct 6, 2009
Drummie666 said:
Tsaba said:

Actually. I do have an N64....

Maybe I'll take a look at that too.
Get it, seriously, you will thank me later, hands down the BEST RTS TO COME OUT ON CONSOLE, and I'm quite serious when I say nothing out there competes with it. It's a RPG/RTS, and they haven't made a game with that style of play since.

You'll love it.

voetballeeuw

May 3, 2010
Tom Clancy's End War? There's no real resource gathering, but you can order your troops through voice commands.

Gaiseric

Sep 21, 2008
EndWar was okay. The voice commands worked well enough(mostly). I did experience some problems with it freezing. And then there was the problem on how I beat the game without completing either of the victory requirements. If you do go with it make sure you understand that it is very rock paper scissors and that you have a headset.

mohit9206

Oct 13, 2012
i just bought Spartan Total Warrior and Great Battles of Rome. both are RTS games for console (ps2) but am not sure how good they are..you could try those