Recommend me a good console RTS

Thoughtful_Salt

Mar 29, 2012
Halo Wars is indeed the only console RTS to really nail down some of the trickier aspects, but it is less complex than a pc RTS. It might have gotten a lot of flak, but it's actually pretty decent. Supreme commander and command and conquer just sucked.

Hargrimm

Jan 1, 2010
Drummie666 said:
Okay, this is going to be my first RTS, so I don't have any idea where to begin. So, I'm looking for an RTS that will properly introduce me to the genre, that will guide me through the bare bones basics, but won't just leave me at that and will let me go much farther.

Pre-"why the fuck are you asking for a CONSOLE RTS and not a PC one? Don't you know that a mouse works waaaayyy better to control an RTS than a controller?"
Yeah, I've heard that, but I don't have even a quarterly decent computer. Hell, mine can't run Minecraft on normal distance rendering without obscene lag.
Oh, and BTW, I'm on PS3 ONLY and NOT the 360. Just in case you were thinking of recommending an exclusive but didn't know if I could get it... well, there you go.

Also, I'm not really interested an online multiplayer component, I'd prefer an expansive single player one.
You don't have to play recent strategy games you know.
http://www.homeoftheunderdogs.net/
Moore's law pretty much guarantees that if you got your computer somewhere in the last decade, you can play pretty much any RTS made before that.
I recommend Dune 2, Warhammer: Shadow of the Horned Rat and Z. M.A.X. is supposedly pretty good too.

You won't find any decent RTS on consoles.

krazykidd

Mar 22, 2008
Yo wanna a beginners RTS ? How bout Growlansers generation ? On the ps2 . It's a Really good game . Kinda short , but it remedies that by having 2 games in one . Growlansers 2 and 3 .

frpzxvaa

Mar 4, 2013
I would suggest getting that, I loved it and it does rts in really the only way that works pretty well on a console

Auron

Mar 28, 2009
Give up on console rts being rewarding or even playable.

Yeah, I've heard that, but I don't have even a quarterly decent computer. Hell, mine can't run Minecraft on normal distance rendering without obscene lag.
Play an older game then, there's a shitload of awesome ones like every Command & Conquer, Dune, Age of Empires I, II and III, Warcraft 2 and 3, Starcraft and so on.

Realistically nowadays only one RTS has a decently sized community and that's Starcraft II, mostly everything else was swallowed by it and the other developer's fear of competing with it. Funnily enough it has a shitload of flaws but people overlook them because Starcraft.

Worgen said:
well allot of people bitched about brutal legend having rts elements to it, I would suggest getting that, I loved it and it does rts in really the only way that works pretty well on a console

really tho if you want to play a rts game you need a pc since real rts games dont really work on consoles
I'm finally playing it on the computer and it's not really RTS more like leading your glorious metal army to victory in the field and it has really simple mechanics. Gotta say it works pretty well and is totally completely awesome though.

PS - the best console RTS ever was Universe at War, it actually had cross-play features with the PC crowd, xbox people were generally unfavoured as you can imagine. The game was completely brillant but SEGA's less than stellar everything as a publisher and gfwl's early(it was one of the first games to use it and no one knew it sucked back then.) draconian rules and extortion practices killed it.

Mikejames

Jan 26, 2012
Auron said:
Worgen said:
well allot of people bitched about brutal legend having rts elements to it, I would suggest getting that, I loved it and it does rts in really the only way that works pretty well on a console

really tho if you want to play a rts game you need a pc since real rts games dont really work on consoles
I'm finally playing it on the computer and it's not really RTS more like leading your glorious metal army to victory in the field and it has really simple mechanics. Gotta say it works pretty well and is totally completely awesome though.
Yeah, I enjoyed Brutal Legend and liked the concept of jumping in and out of the actual fighting, but I probably wouldn't recommend it on the tactical aspects alone.

Doom972

Dec 25, 2008
Get Starcraft. I'm sure that your PC can run it. It's a game from 1998, but runs well on new systems too, since it's still supported by Blizzard. It's the best example of this genre in my opinion. It also has a demo if you're worried about spending money on it and finding out you don't like it.