Recommend me a good fighting game

Baron_Rouge

Oct 30, 2009
So, I went round to my friend's house the other day and we played a bit of Tekken 6, first fighting game I've played in ages. It was great fun, and when I went home, I really felt like playing a fighting game, but this genre is curiously absent from my games collection. My first video game for the PS2 was a fighter (Tekken Tag Tournament), and I used to be really into them, but then I got tired of the increasing online focus and basically just stopped playing them.

So, long story short, I need a new fighting game for my PS3. It has to have a decent amount of single player content, and so long as the local multiplayer is fun I don't really care about online. Ideally, it should also be accessible, as I'm not really a very good player in most fighting games, competitively, and I remember being turned off of Guilty Gear because of its steep learning curve. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated :)

Baralak

Dec 9, 2009
Skullgirls is kinda limited in its single playerness, currently really only having an arcade mode, but you can download it for $15 off the Playstation Network. Really fun, IMO

There's the classic Super Street Fighter IV: Arcade Edition, which is really good, although I played myself out on it.

If you want a more 3d fighter, look into the Soul Calibur games. V is the latest, but have nothing for single player, not even a survival mode. It's got the tightest gameplay, though, and a really great create a character system. IV has more single player stuff, but the gameplay isn't as good, IMO, but you get Starkiller, Yoda, and Darth Vader as playable characters, while V only gives you Ezio from Assassin's Creed.

You played Tekken 6 yourself, which is just fantastic. Tekken Hybrid is also out, which has an HD remake of Tekken Tag Tournament.

If you wanna keep things semi-simple, but highly unique, look into the anime fighters, such as Dragonball Raging Blast 2 or Naruto: Ultimate Ninja Storm Generations. Both are less "fighter" and more anime combat simulators, taking an over-the-shoulder approach to 1 on 1 fighting, but always deliver with a ton of single player content.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
BlazBlue is a personal favorite of mine. The character roster's diversity and the music are two of the best things about it.

TheFinish

Grand Admiral
May 17, 2010
I agree, whichever is the newest version of BlazBlue out, get it. Won't disappoint.

I'd recommend Def Jam New York, but it's last gen so..

Baralak

Dec 9, 2009
Fappy said:
BlazBlue is a personal favorite of mine. The character roster's diversity and the music are two of the best things about it.
TheFinish said:
I agree, whichever is the newest version of BlazBlue out, get it. Won't disappoint.

Why would you recommend BlazBlue, when Guilty Gear had too steep a learning curve for him? Same reason I didn't mention Persona 4 Arena.

I do agree about the new Mortal Kombat, though, it was pretty excellent.

krazykidd

Mar 22, 2008
I'll say blazblue continuum ahift extens if you want a lot of single player content . There is even a story mode that ressembles a visual novel . The online is good . But the players online are AMAZING.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
kyosai7 said:
Fappy said:
TheFinish said:

Why would you recommend BlazBlue, when Guilty Gear had too steep a learning curve for him? Same reason I didn't mention Persona 4 Arena.

I do agree about the new Mortal Kombat, though, it was pretty excellent.
I know they're developed by the same guys, but as far as 2D fighters go BB isn't insanely difficult to grasp really. The basics are pretty damn simple (gogo drive button) and the challenge for new players comes from learning a character, which is a fun challenge imo.

hoboman29

Jul 5, 2011
Blazblue has really good single player and is really fun to play.
Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3 is good if you can get some friends to play with you.
You seem to like 3d fighters so try soulcaliber its alot like tekken.
Lastly Tekken Tag Tournament 2 is coming out soon.

Ruzinus

May 20, 2010
Baron_Rouge said:
I remember being turned off of Guilty Gear because of its steep learning curve.
Honestly you'll probably want to avoid traditional 2D fighters entirely then.

So as much I'd like to recommend BlazBlue, which is just all kinds of crazy fun, I'll suggest Smash Bros and whatever number Soul Calibur is up to now (5, I believe?).

LiquidGrape

Sep 10, 2008
Bought Super Street Fighter IV: Arcade Edition the other day. First fighting game I've played since Soul Calibur III, and it's loads of fun.

The singleplayer Arcade mode has a clever feature which allows other people to 'challenge' you as you play, which will bring you into an online lobby for the match and then return you to your singleplayer game after it finishes. Excellent way of passing the time if you're in want of PvP play but unwilling to spend time looking for matches.

Lord Beautiful

Aug 13, 2008
Tekken 6 has a reasonable amount of single-player content.

If you're also open to 2D fighters, Mortal Kombat is a fantastic choice. It has loads of good single player content (including the best story mode I've seen in a fighter to date), great local multiplayer options, and a simple yet engaging fighting system.

Next to Smash Bros., you'd be hard-pressed to find a more noob-friendly fighting game, especially one that keeps from rewarding bullshit tactics instead of skill.

dimensional

Jun 13, 2011
Ill just go over a few I have played recently and put a few rough pointers on them:-

[b/]SSFIV:AE[/b] - really nice game you can jump straight in but there is a lot to learn, single player isnt that great though mainly due to Seth being such a crappy annoying boss. That said it keeps drawing me back as its technically quite challenging but is also accessible for those with a little knowledge of 2d fighters.

[b/]KoF XIII[/b] - damn this game is good and quite a nice single player as well not great but not bad however this game is tight as hell and is seriously tricky I really struggle with it the links / chains whatever I just cannot get down but for me its the highpoint of 2d fighters so imposing and beautiful and so great once you begin to crack it but bloody hell that shell is hard.

[b/]Mortal Kombat Komplete[/b] - great single player I really enjoyed the story mode and the challenge mode but sadly the fighting while definitely serviceable is not great and I lost interest after finishing all the single player stuff but it is the best Mortal Kombat ever IMO.

[b/]Blazblue CSEX[/b] - Great game with fun single player and lots to do probably more than any other on this list its not as tricky as some others but its not easy either however you can make progress easier in this than a lot of others (Its not got the shell of KoF for instance) I would say overall a great game but you have to work at it combos are king here.

[b/]UMVC3[/b] - pretty poor single player although Heroes and Heralds as free DLC helps make it better the combo timings here are very lenient and the curve isnt that hard but this is another game where combos are king and it can get a bit insane the pace is very fast even more so than Blazblue which gives it charm but can also be annoying its balls to the wall all the time which can get tiresome.

[b/]Soul Calibur V[/b] - IMO the best fighting of a SC game since the first single player is lacking unfortunately though with just fights against A.I bots some easy others definitely not and an arcade mode (and a shitty story mode and cheating super hard A.I mode) but it does have character customisation and a damn good one at that which I found great fun seriously I have spent 30 hours on that alone which gives it legs. SC is also more about spacing and less about combos links than the others so in that regard its easier but it still has a lot of depth.

[b/]Skullgirls[/b] - really nice game but has a few problems mainly lack of content the game itself though is great fun its just not got hardly anything for the lone player.

Online wise I have only tried a few but Blazblue and SCV were really really solid in the netcode hardly any lag ever.

Ones to look out for are [b/]Persona 4 Arena[/b] - made by Blazblue/Guilty Gear guys so expect similar stuff but apparently it features easier inputs ala Skullgirls so execution of moves should be easier its also touted to have a lengthy story mode.

[b/]Dead or Alive 5[/b] - If its anything like the others it will be very easy to just pick up and play it also teaches you to read moves very effectively via the counter system, these games are usually just about fun rather than massive depth (although they are not technically shallow games, except the first maybe) so tend to be quite flashy, I am not sure on single player content though odds are it will be minimal.

Baralak

Dec 9, 2009
The last Dead or Alive game I played was 2 on the Xbox, which had a ton of single player content, from collectibles that would drop in survival mode, to HAVING a Survival mode, and each time you beat a character's Arcade mode, you'd get a new costume, although it was really varied. Some characters only had 3 or 4 costumes, which a lot of the women was 15+ costumes.

MetallicaRulez0

Aug 27, 2008
UMVC3 is the best available right now, but it has a very high skill ceiling and it takes quite a lot of effort to really get to an acceptable level. Combos are very long and complex, though timing is lenient so it isn't too bad. I wouldn't recommend the online portion, the speed of the game really amplifies the effects of online lag.

Mortal Kombat is probably the best 'simple' or 'casual' fighter. There isn't a ton of depth to it, but it's a fun game if you're just looking to mash with your friends.

SF4AE is probably the most demanding game, skill-wise. I personally don't really find it appealing. Too many timing inputs and links as opposed to simple chain combos makes it very difficult to just pick up and play.

I've heard very good things about KOF13, but haven't played it yet.

Razentsu

Jun 21, 2011
Even though you say you were turned off by Guilty Gear, I think BlazBlue: Continuum Shift Extend is still a good fit for your description. BlazBlue is super easy to learn compared to Guilty Gear. It's one less button, FRC-less (a timing to cancel moves at a discount meter cost), and the match-ups are much less abstract. Best of all, you won't need to study weight class combos. XD

BlazBlue's also got plenty of single player content. It's got a story mode which runs like a visual novel, a board game sort of mode, score attack, and some other goodies. It's even got a tutorial mode for fighting game newbies. If you ever want to head online, BlazBlue's netcode shouldn't disappoint. It's one of the best out there.

The first BlazBlue was the game to get me into fighting games.

A good second choice would be Mortal Kombat. I personally don't like the game, but I acknowledge it has some great single-player content. It's also easier to pick up than BlazBlue.

And I always want to recommend MELTY BLOOD Actress Again Current Code. However, it definitely does not fit your description, as there's not a lot of single-player content at all, it's more difficult to grasp than BlazBlue, and there's also no PS3 version; the most recent version is on PC. But if I were to recommend a game based largely on straight up goodness, MBAACC is what I would recommend. It's something for later if you find you really enjoy the genre. I feel it's the most free-form fighting game in existence. XD

Fwee

Sep 23, 2009
Wow. No Virtua Fighter fans? I'm crushed. Although I must admit the Final Showdown they just released is the best VF version in the series, it feels soulless without Quest Mode. But that's just my opinion.
Ultimate Marvel Vs. Capcom 3 would be another good choice.
Would you count the UFC games as fighters? Those are good too.

MacLeRoy

Jan 13, 2011
SoulCalibur is a FANTASTIC for pick up and play, Tekken is great for pick up and play also. Blazeblue can be fun but in the Arcade mode the difficulty can ramp up same with Marvel Vs Capcom 3. Street Fighter (I found) has a fairly simple combo system but (Again I found) when I started playing there was really no help in game as far as mastering it. The question is also how do you like to play fighting games? You like it heavier on the joystick or button? If joystick (analogue stick, whatever) then street fighter is up your alley. Based on what you said about Tekken it looks like buttons though. Also another thing you may want to look at is Virtua Fighter. I can't tell you anything about Mortal Kombat because I dont like it but hey, its popular for a reason right?

As far as single player goes, fighter are notorious for being minimal in this department. Most that I have played had just an Arcade/Story mode, a few have a story mode outside Arcade Mode, and a modified arcade mode where certain conditions are placed on you or the difficulty is increased. The ones that had the most in single player mode was BlazBlue and Mortal Kombat as far as I know.

Perhaps single player wise you may want to look into beat em ups. (Bayonetta, Lollipop Chainsaw, Devil May Cry, God of War, etc)

To be honest we could recommend all the fighting games in the world but you are going to be the only one who knows what best fits you so I say compile a list of the games mentioned in this forum and start renting them out to see which you like the most.

ThePenguinKnight

Mar 30, 2012
The newest Mortal Kombat is one of the easiest fighting games to learn but still has plenty of room to master and is loaded with RIDICULOUS amounts of content.

Edit:
I'd like to note that a lot of the fighting games currently running right now are rather imbalanced and/or lacking content such as Soul Calibur and Marvel Vs Capcom 3, I recommend against getting them.

Roofstone

May 13, 2010
Street Fighter X Tekken I'd say is the best one, though I am a bit bias. I've always played Street Fighter games.