Recommend me a good TURN-BASED RPG

MeatMachine

Dr. Stan Gray
May 31, 2011
Like I said, I need a good TURN-BASED RPG to keep me busy. I already have:

-Damn near everything from the Super Nintendo era (Earthbound, Chrono Trigger, etc)
-Hero Academy, all races
-Every Pokemon game
-All the Fallout games, including Tactics, 3 and New Vegas
-Every Final Fantasy that I care about (Dimensions, Tactics, 1-6)
-Every English-version of Fire Emblem
-Penny Arcade's Rainslick Precipice of Darkness 3/4
-Cthulhu Saves the World & Breath of Death VII
-Even C. Kane, a shitty little demo-length RPG on Andriod

...but I'm craving more. I don't want to delve into the mess that is the overinflated Kemka Games for mobile devices; they are poorly controlled and way too cookiecutter. Surely, though, there are other gems that I haven't discovered yet? Whatever system they are on, it doesn't matter, though I'd really like to know about great games for Steam and Android specifically

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
Well, in the vein of the Fallout games, there's Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura. It lets you choose real-time or turn-based combat and is set in a fantasy steampunk world, as you might be able to guess from the name.

I notice Fire Emblem, Pokemon, and Final Fantasy, so it might be worth your time to check out the Shin Megami Tensei franchise. The main series games (Nocturne and SMT IV are the most modern ones) and the Persona spin-offs in particular are turn-based, while the other spin-offs have varying systems. Devil Survivor and its sequel are similar to Fire Emblem, for instance. Many of them can be found on the 3DS right now, which I would assume you have if you've got Pokemon and Fire Emblem. Most of the older ones that are not horribly dated can be found on the PS2, and Persona 3 and Persona 4 are on the PS Vita as well as the PS2 (P3 via the PSP port, P4 because of the Persona 4 Golden re-release).

Also like Fire Emblem, there's Jagged Alliance 2, though a more relevant comparison to the direct gameplay would probably be X-COM. But it has the characterization of Fire Emblem, which is what makes the difference to me.

Oh, and the Disgaea games. Three of the four main titles can currently be found on the PS Vita, the fourth is on the PS3 and coming to the Vita soon I believe, though I don't know if the Vita release will be worldwide. Otherwise the first two are on the PS2 and the third and fourth are on the PS3. They're also tactical JRPGs with a lot of wacky characters, though they're a bit more grind-heavy than the likes of Fire Emblem.

Catfood220

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 21, 2010
The Fire Emblem games on the GameCube, Wii and 3DS are good fun, but are more strategy RPGs than stuff like Final Fantasy type RPGs.

And you really should play Valkyria Chronicles on the PS3, you can probably get it pretty cheap now, but is one of best games available for the console.

The Madman

Dec 7, 2007
I can think of tons of them on the PC, especially if you also don't mind real-time with pause ala Baldur's Gate or Planescape: Torment which are technically turn based but play out for the most part in real time.

For strictly turn-based though check out the Avadon series by Spiderweb Software if you want a solid ye-olden style PC rpg featuring tactical turn-based combat. They don't look like much but all of Spiderweb's rpg are absolutely huge in scale and length.

And if it's the combat you're after because you just enjoy the strategy and planning that goes into a turn-based rpg, you have to try Temple of Elemental Evil. In terms of story ToEE isn't very good, but in terms of combat it is easily and without doubt the best interpretation of D&D combat in a game to date. Extremely good combat that more than makes up for the otherwise threadbare story elements.

TehCookie

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2008
I've only heard terrible things about it but Agarest: Generations of War is a turn based strategy game on Steam for people starved of the genre and don't own other platforms.

As for consoles/handhelds...

Persona 3 and 4 (PS2, PS3, PSP, Vita) are great if you haven't heard of them already.
Disgaea series (PS2, PS3, DS, PSP, Vita) is also a fun zany strategy games that has amazing simple yet deep gameplay. You can beat the story and callit good or grind to level 9999. 1-4 can be played in any order, you'll only miss a few cameos and with 4 being the newest it has the most refined gameplay.
Nocturne (PS2) is one of the hardest turn based JRPGs to date, or if you want something newer Shin Megami Tensei IV was released a little bit ago on the 3DS.

You can always try PS1 classics too, I got Grandia and it's awesome.

WhiteFangofWhoa

Jan 11, 2008
Breath of Fire 3, and apparently 4 is pretty good too.
Wild Arms 3, one of my all-time faves.
Paper Mario, either of the first ones but especially Thousand-Year Door.
Any Mario & Luigi game.
Shin Megami Tensei 4 (Warning: Extremely difficult for newcomers to the series).

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
Time for me to recommend one of the best turn-based JRPGs of all time.
It was on a console ahead of it's time, but was sadly cut short. The game was later improved and later ported over to the Nintendo GameCube.
Ladies and gentleman, the one, the only:

A wonderful story, varied worlds, great characters, and fun gameplay. This game was released in a time in which Final Fantasy still dominated, but this gem managed to score near-perfect to perfect scores across the board!

krazykidd

Mar 22, 2008
I recommend everything SMT. From persona to devil survivor to norcturn. They are all amazing.

If you have a Ds/3DS, i recommend Etrian Oddesey. Amazing game!

madwarper

Mar 17, 2011
I second the Etrian Odyssey series; 1-3 on the DS, 4 & Untold on the 3DS.

Also, there Lost Odyssey on the 360.

Objectable

Oct 31, 2013
Dragon Ball Z: Attack of the Saiyans.
No, really.
Dis shit is GOOOOODDD
http://static2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100728151007/dragonball/images/0/08/Dragon_ball_z_attack_of_the_saiyans_7.jpg

Bara_no_Hime

Sep 15, 2010
MeatMachine said:
Like I said, I need a good TURN-BASED RPG to keep me busy.
Surely, though, there are other gems that I haven't discovered yet? Whatever system they are on, it doesn't matter, though I'd really like to know about great games for Steam and Android specifically
Xenogears (for the Playstaion 1). Seriously, why is Xenogears, one of the best turn-based JRPGs ever made, not on your list already?!

Xenosaga 1-3 (for the Playstation 2). Not as good as Xenogears, but great stories and turn-based combat.

Persona 3 (preferably the PSP version, Persona 3 Portable for better party control).

Persona 4 (any version).

Jeanne d'Arc (for the PSP, technically a tactics game, but it is turn based and plays very classic JRPG esque)

There you go. Those should keep you busy for a while.

But WAIT, there's more!

Grandia 2 (for Dreamcast or PS2).
Grandia 3 (for PS3)

AVOID Grandia 1 and Grandia X at all costs. There is no connection between Grandia 1 and 2, so there's no reason for you to suffer through Grandia 1 to play the good Grandia games.

Eric the Orange

Gone Gonzo
Apr 29, 2008
MeatMachine said:
-Penny Arcade's Rainslick Precipice of Darkness 3/4
-Cthulhu Saves the World & Breath of Death VII
Well as you seem to be a fan of Zeboyd Games You can look forward to Cosmic Star Heroin.

Well the Obvious choice would be Games By Atlus in the Shin Megami Tensei Universe. Persona, Devil Survivor, Digital Devil Saga ext.

Blue Dragon was a pretty cool call back to the old school with more modernized graphics.

But There are a TON of gooduns on the DS and 3DS. The Etrian Odessy games. The Dragon Quest remakes. and a lot more.

Special shout out goes to Radiant Historia, Described as "the Best Super Nintendo game never made". Which I agree with. It really does feel like if it was released back then it would have stood among the classics like Crono Trigger and FF6.

Unfortunately when it come to Steam there are not much of the tradition turn based style RPGs. The japanese scene is really more into handhelds these days.

As someone with no smart phone I can't really comment on the Android market.

And if your really desperate and don't mind wading through the shit that is amateur games hobbyists you can occasionally find half way decent RPGs made with RPG maker.

Coakle

Nov 21, 2013
TehCookie said:
I've only heard terrible things about it but Agarest: Generations of War is a turn based strategy game on Steam for people starved of the genre and don't own other platforms.

Agarest: Generations of War should be avoided at all cost. It's the kind of game you play if Time murdered your whole family and you're out for revenge.

I thought The Last Remnant was seen as the typical last resort for turn-based strategy games if you only got Steam.

Eric the Orange

Gone Gonzo
Apr 29, 2008
Objectable said:
Dragon Ball Z: Attack of the Saiyans.
No, really.
Dis shit is GOOOOODDD
http://static2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100728151007/dragonball/images/0/08/Dragon_ball_z_attack_of_the_saiyans_7.jpg
Surprisingly so for a Licensed Game. Shame that the stigma of that probably held back sales, and there is no sequel in the works.

Objectable

Oct 31, 2013
MarsAtlas said:
Recommendation huh? Here's mine:

Jump to 11:26.

The Persona games if you couldn't catch on to that. All the SMT games are great, all of which turn-based strategy games of various sorts.

I hear The Last Story for the Nintendo Wii is great, but it has problems running on older Wiis.
That is the greatest thing I have ever seen.
Thank you.

Exhuminator

Oct 14, 2013
Here a few turn based SRPGs that I enjoyed quite a lot:

Review: http://www.rpgfan.com/reviews/frontmission-ds/index.html
Really the entire Front Mission series is fantastic:
http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/frontmission/frontmission.htm

Review: http://rpgfan.com/reviews/Valkyria_Chronicles_2/
Super duper fun combat system. Hit 'n' miss plot.

That's the Japanese cover but it did get English releases.
Review: http://www.defunctgames.com/review/861/faselei
Really cool combat system where you preprogram your mechs per round.
Kind of like Carnage Heart except you don't need a PHD.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Have you played Geneforge and/or Avernum yet?

No?

WHY HAVE YOU NOT PLAYED GENEFORGE AND/OR AVERNUM YET?

http://www.spiderwebsoftware.com/products.html

They all have huge demos. Try them. Geneforge is one of my absolute favourite series.

Artemis923

Dec 25, 2008
Heroes of Might and Magic III. You can get it on GoG for dirt cheap, and it's easily one of the greatest TBS games of all time. It's a bit dated, but I've been playing it at least weekly for the last 14 years, and it's still a blast. It'd be a disservice to the genre to not at least try it.