Recommend me a Let's Player.

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
I need someone new to watch. My personal favourites are supergreatfriend and Swordless Link. Supergreatfriend I like because he generally plays lesser known games that have something unique about them and Swordless Link does glitch playthroughs that are completely alien to the way that I play games. Both have a more subtle sense of humour than other let's players.

To codify my criteria:
-Solo let's player. I find that if there is more than one person things tend to lose focus and I just don't enjoy it.
-No blind players. I want someone who knows the games they play and knows how to show them off.
-Nobody that focuses on a couple games exclusively. Some let's players out there have thousands of videos on a single game, I want variety.
-Nobody obnoxious or shrieky like Pewdiwpie or Game Grumps. I like a more subtle sense of humour.
-Absolutely no face cam. I don't have any desire to see their face all the time.
-Preferably a pleasant voice. I know it's probably subjective, but still, I am going to be listening to them talk for a while.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
So no one?

Just watch walkthroughs. If you want someone who knows the game, is alone, and has no face cam, that basically leaves people who make guides.

I dont really fault most of your points individually, but its alot of qualifiers at once that really limit your pool.

Drathnoxis

Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Saelune said:
So no one?

Just watch walkthroughs. If you want someone who knows the game, is alone, and has no face cam, that basically leaves people who make guides.

I dont really fault most of your points individually, but its alot of qualifiers at once that really limit your pool.
Basically I just want another supergreatfriend, because just one of him isn't enough.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Drathnoxis said:
Saelune said:
So no one?

Basically I just want another supergreatfriend, because just one of him isn't enough.
Well, I hope someone recommends you someone you like, but I prefer multiple people LP channels, and I dont look so hard either, with most of the channels I do watch mostly being Polaris bred. (Game Grumps, Jesse Cox, Beard Bros, etc).

MrRaggaedeman

Nov 18, 2009
The only one I can think of the top of my head, that fits all of your criteria is Helloween4545.
Granted, he does mostly horror-related stuff and switches between blind and not blind but he fits most of your criteria.
Fun guy, with a passion for gaming.

Nuuu

Jan 28, 2011
Well ChuggaConroy always deserves a mention in these threads.
All though he doesn't fit the "lesser known games" category since he only does Nintendo games.
He never goes in blind, and usually even throws in a lot of facts and statistics you normally wouldn't know. His Pikmin videos are a joy to watch. Be wary, he enjoys bad puns.
(Though you'd want to skip his Mario Party Series).

Thats all I know, unfortunately. You'd probably be better off just looking up walkthroughs for specific games rather than an LPer that does this for all games.

Diablo2000

Tiger Robocop
Aug 29, 2010
Do you mind watching mostly old school PC games?

If not, then there's Kikoskia, he fits all your criterias, usually anyway...
There's one video or another with guests (Although they are rare and far in between if you don't count his RP sessions which are not really "Videogames") and he usually stick to games he already played before. (There are exceptions to that rule however, like his current Eye of the Beholder LP)

I think he's one worth checking out at least.

WhiteFangofWhoa

Jan 11, 2008
Seconding Kikoskia and recommending NintendoCapriSun, but honestly I feel like Blind runs are the funniest part of an LP and avoiding them really narrows your field.

Raddra

Trashpanda
Jan 5, 2010
The majority of Necroscope86's back catalogue fits your bill. He has more recently done a bit with his girlfriend + facecam but you can just ignore those. He's mostly left youtube though due to personal reasons. He's got a huge back catalogue though and deserves 10x as many subs as he's got.

There's also Cryaotic but a lot of his stuff is blind, but he's a super nice person and has a wonderful voice, so I will still recommend him regardless of the no blind plays want.

Drathnoxis

Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Nuuu said:
Thats all I know, unfortunately. You'd probably be better off just looking up walkthroughs for specific games rather than an LPer that does this for all games.
I don't get why people are suggesting this. I don't want a clinical walkthrough, I just want someone who knows what they are doing and won't be floundering around trying to figure out what they are doing or where they are going.

-------------------------------------------------

Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

By the way, does anybody else really hate those autoplaying videos on the home section of Youtube channels?

Avnger

Trash Goblin
Legacy
Apr 1, 2016
Country
United States
One could never go wrong with Jim Fucking Sterling, Son. He fulfills most of your criteria.

AngronIsAngry

Sep 28, 2011
Let me echo Kiokoskia [https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_ADhkBQFudvyhdpsBJJvYw] as recommendation.
Veriax [https://www.youtube.com/user/veriax/playlists?view=1&sort=dd&shelf_id=0] is doing a lot of lengthy RPGs, while often going in "blind" into a field he is very experienced with. Tons of solid content, in my view.
Arumba [https://www.youtube.com/user/arumba07/playlists?spfreload=10] A very meticoulous and data driven guy, who does mostly anything published by Paradox.
MetalCanyon [https://www.youtube.com/user/MetalCanyon/playlists?spfreload=10] He plays what he likes and enjoys and he isnt doing the screechy thing. Particularly recommend his Papers, Please [https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLIhNUXJ4tecczqOyP-O1RkJ6ZpMrPygYk] lp.

JohnnyDelRay

Jul 29, 2010
You might want to indicate what genres you like to watch as well? I don't seem to mind the somewhat energetic lets players, the most famous ones always seem to be right up in the camera and extremely tiring to watch. The only one who I watch who kind of fits this bill is the Slap Train, for his driving/drifting vids, but then there's also a lot more obscure ones to choose from than him.

For the "quiet, thoughtful" LP's (as self-described) I quite like Zemalf. He plays a bit more strategy games and RPGs, and talks out his thoughts in a very clear manner, very chill. His accent is awesome but takes a little getting used to, but overall he's probably my favorite for the types of games he plays.

Other than that, maybe just check out some of the speedruns, I've found a lot of unusual players who really dig up insane strategies and glitches through their normal play.

[Edited to include link]

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
Maybe many a true nerd, he checked most of your box, the game he play really well are fallout 3 and new vegas which he sometime play by his own rule set.

Chessrook44

Legacy
Feb 11, 2009
Country
United States
Okay I know it's frowned upon for doing it but.... me? [https://www.youtube.com/user/Chessrook44]

My playthroughs have primarily been of games by Spiderweb Software, an indie dev who's been around for a couple decades now, with uploading one vid a day every day. As for each of your criteria...

-Solo let's player. I find that if there is more than one person things tend to lose focus and I just don't enjoy it.
Aye, I've done mostly solo. I've done a few short diversions of multi-person for fun, but mostly it's single-player.

-No blind players. I want someone who knows the games they play and knows how to show them off.
This is mixed. My earlier games I had previously played so I knew the plot, story, and so on, while later ones were a bit more blind. Fortunately though, mechanics are similar across games, so I wasn't really flailing around. The exception to this was my recent Obduction playthrough, which was a puzzle game and... well if you're not doing it blind, you're doing a walkthrough guide.

-Nobody that focuses on a couple games exclusively. Some let's players out there have thousands of videos on a single game, I want variety.
This... is unfortunately due to the style of games I tend to do. Spiderweb's games are mostly RPGs that last a couple dozen hours, with lots of story, and I play them to completion. So yes each game lasts about 80-100 videos, but almost nothing gets repeated. There's a few short exceptions I've done though.

-Nobody obnoxious or shrieky like Pewdiwpie or Game Grumps. I like a more subtle sense of humour.
Nah, don't worry, I don't get shrieky. Well unless something is really annoying and frustrating I yell a bit, but for the most part, no.

-Absolutely no face cam. I don't have any desire to see their face all the time.
Criteria met.

-Preferably a pleasant voice. I know it's probably subjective, but still, I am going to be listening to them talk for a while.
This... hoo boy. Okay, so the thing I've considered my "Grab" is that I don't just read the dialog... I READ the dialog. I act out the lines, I do voices for characters, I perform. And I try to go appropriate a fair bit. Never claiming to be good though, so it can go either way. As for my actual voice? That's entirely up to you, I can't say there.

Forumites, please don't burn me alive for this blatant self-promotion.

Elvis Starburst

Unprofessional Rant Artist
Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
Nuuu said:
Well ChuggaConroy always deserves a mention in these threads.
He's certainly good, I will agree. Good quality video, audio, he does a ton of research so he isn't floundering much, etc. Though I stopped watching cause I kinda got sick of his voice, and of course... his lame jokes and puns. And the very sudden and loud "WHAAAAAAAT?!" and "OOOOOOOHHH MY GOD!" moments.

Honestly, I'm sure plenty of people would have suggestions for you if not for the criteria of the LPer being very familiar the game. I mean... I get it? It's a way to show you the game, not stumble through it. It just seems a tiny bit of a strong requirement. Half the fun is watching people experience the game. That's why people keep suggesting walkthroughs.

I dunno if he meets all of your criteria, but I liked NintendoCapriSun quite a bit. I'm sure you'd hate the floundering and stuff that side-tracks from the game itself, but I know I watch Vinny from Vinesauce for some more grounded gameplay, or Joel from Vinesauce if you want a bit of crazy in there. Vinny has a huge back log on YouTube, and he plays a ton of stuff. He is a streamer though, and you'd have to get used to him not knowing the game inside out, as well as him getting distracted with tangents and stuff he wants to show the stream (Though I admit, a lot of it is quite funny). He doesn't go point by point with the game though, he just plays it, and maaaaaaaybe 100%'s the game if he feels like it. I dunno, I'm watching him right now, thought I'd throw it out there. Bleh.

(In fact, after making this suggestion, I'm editing this in cause I realized he doesn't fit your criteria at all and it was a bad idea. But I'm leaving both of them in there cause I love Vinny and Joel's content and I think you might get a kick out of it for some background video when doing stuff like playing a game)

I'm clearly lacking suggestions. But hopefully the few I mentioned here might help a tiny bit.

Side note: Download "Magic Actions." It has a ton of features you might be interested in

Oct 22, 2011
Have you met dunkey?

He's quite popular, so i wouldn't be surprised if already know him, but he's the only one i semi-regularly watch and he fits your criteria.

Elvis Starburst

Unprofessional Rant Artist
Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
BaldursGateTemple said:
That sounds a lot like DSPgaming. I thought you were describing him.
Can't tell if I should be insulted that anyone could think someone else would ever seriously enjoy that dipshit, haha. At least for his content and not the hilarious "How not to play" videos people make

sageoftruth

Jan 29, 2010
How about no voice at all. "World of Longplays" meets most of your criteria, but there's no commentary at all.