Recommend me a Sci-Fi RPG

DoPo

"You're not cleared for that."
Jan 30, 2012
dangoball said:
If no RPGs come to mind, some action adventure (whatever that is) could serve it's purpose. I kinda enjoyed Warhammer 40k: Space Marine.
If you can get your hands on Oni, I think you'd like it. It's anime-styled game about a cyborg police officer in the future. Third person with some shooting[footnote]you can get weapons off enemies, but they aren't usually that many nor is there that much ammo[footnote] but more fighting. I think the combat system was rather good, even if it was slightly...dunno how to call it "anime-ish", is correct, I guess - some attacks include shouting the name of the attack ("Double. Spin. Kick.") and there are, like, swirls around. Still, it's not annoying, it does fit in.

The game is...well, let's say "heavily inspired" by Ghost in the Shell, if that's any help. It was also created by Bungie of Halo (and more recently Destiny) fame.

Other than that, there is Remember Me - in a lot of ways it does remind me a lot of Oni, personally. But it's set in a cyberpunk feature. Overall, I did like it, myself, but I felt it didn't quite explore as much as it could have or it should have of the world. It was pretty linear. Also, the memory alteration mechanic shows up very few times, and it was indeed interesting. If worse comes to worse, it's not a really long game - I think I did it in about a couple of days, which would put it around 10 hours or something. I'd suggest getting it when it's on sale, if you're interested.

I can also recommend Alpha Protocol - it's slightly on the futuristic side with some tech being a bit more advanced, but not that much. Let's say, it's set between now and Deus Ex: HR. It is a good RPG, if you ask me, and it's made by Obsidian. So if you liked the first Fallouts and New Vegas, it could be down your alley.

Speaking of Fallouts, I'll go ahead and suggest Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura. It is one of my favourite RPGs made ever. And I only played it first in 2012 - way after it was released. At any rate, it bears a lot of similarities to Fallout 1/2 and it is not surprising - it was made by Troika games[footnote]If you don't know them - think Obsidian. They were together in Black Isle when Fallout was made, long story short, after Black Isle got closed, it continued living in Troika and Obsidian. Nowadays, it's Obsidian only.[/spoiler]. At any rate, it's not actually sci-fi, but I think you may be interested - the setting is, more or less, D&D going through the industrial revolution. It's steampunk and it explores the clash created by the changing of times (as well as saving the world). I think it's a really interesting setting and it has some ideas explored that I still marvel at. Also, it has robots and necromancers inhabiting the same world.

Finally, I don't think I see Wasteland on your list - have you considered it? I've not actually played it myself yet but it's supposed to be close to Fallout, in that it's a post-apocalyptic future world, at least.

aozgolo

Mar 15, 2011
Well there's XCOM Enemy Unknown, it's kind of a tactical RPG military vs. aliens sort of deal.

Starbound is a side-scroller sandbox/survival/crafting game that's in progress, it isn't a true RPG but has many elements of it, exploration, inventory, NPCs, towns, dungeons, etc. Definitely worth checking out.

Finally, try a game called "Consortium", it's a first person narrative driven RPG that has some similarities to Telltale Adventure games and really makes you kinda feel like you're in a Star Trek episode, worth checking out.

Mister K

This is our story.
Apr 25, 2011
GundamSentinel said:
Mister K said:
GundamSentinel said:
How about the Final Fantasy series?

Many of them have good stories and fun characters and several of them have come to PC over the past years.
Yeah, but none of them are Sci-Fi. FFVII is a magical steampunk, VIII and X are kind of a mix between fantasy and sci-fi. IMO, the closest thing FF has to Sci-Fi is XIII, but I'll never ever recommend it to anyone.

OT: I too am looking for good Sci-Fi RPG's, but OP already mentioned those that I know. Bookmarking for further use.
Well, OP stated he wasn't too strict about the actual 'sci-fi-ness', and since most Final Fantasy games have more than a little sci-fi added for flavour, why not?
... Yeah, why the hell not. Hey Dangoball! Check out FFVII. it may not have aged well and the story is not as good as people tend to say, but the game is still really nice.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
SoreWristed said:
It is quite a niche genre you are asking for though...
It's surprising to me just how rare a combination it is.

I mean, sci-fi themes are very common in games, and RPGs aren't exactly rare beasts considering that the genre includes everything from Diablo clones to roguelikes to action-RPGs.

You'd think more developers would think to combine the two. But nope, more elves and mages for everybody.

Lazule

Oct 11, 2013
Do you tolerate J-RPGs OP?

PS1 Emulator and Xenogears or some good Star Ocean. I fear it might be too Japan for your tastes through... Xenogears story is bretty gud imo.

SoreWristed

Dec 26, 2014
DoPo said:
If you can get your hands on Oni, I think you'd like it. It's anime-styled game about a cyborg police officer in the future. Third person with some shooting[footnote]you can get weapons off enemies, but they aren't usually that many nor is there that much ammo[footnote] but more fighting. I think the combat system was rather good, even if it was slightly...dunno how to call it "anime-ish", is correct, I guess - some attacks include shouting the name of the attack ("Double. Spin. Kick.") and there are, like, swirls around. Still, it's not annoying, it does fit in.

The game is...well, let's say "heavily inspired" by Ghost in the Shell, if that's any help. It was also created by Bungie of Halo (and more recently Destiny) fame.
Seconded. In fact, the Ghost in the Shell game that came out 4 years after Oni is practically the same game. I have trouble telling the two apart from my memory of them. The cover is pretty similar even.
[http://www.dumpt.com/img/viewer.php?file=35mqy0z8ccl55ipz1own.jpg]

Both i'd recommend if you find on or the other interesting. Storywise they are sadly quite similar aswell, but that means both have a decent story at the least, Oni being the slightly more interesting of the two. Oni has some more interesting weapons, like the sniper rifle that shot frozen quicksilver, but both games have a focus on melee combat.

optimusjamie

Jul 14, 2012
Star Control II. It's not really a traditional RPG, being based around a Spacewar!-esque shoot-em-up with equipment-based progression, but it is great fun. Also, it's free, which basically means you have no excuse not to at least try it.

http://sc2.sourceforge.net/

Ihateregistering1

Mar 30, 2011
I never played it, but I've heard really good things about "Anachronox". It's an older game (it's on GOG I think) but it's definitely a sci-fi RPG (it's even billed as a "Epic sci-fi RPG adventure".

Katherine Kerensky

Why, or Why Not?
Mar 27, 2009
Well, E.Y.E. Divine Cybermancy is a sort of sci-fi/cyberpunk RPG. Kinda interesting, has some fun and/or hard moments. Has co-op campaign as well, and multiplayer.
Not too sure about the story, though. It can be a bit confusing, and easy to miss at points. Like, you can skip most of the story by just killing everyone and everything.

spartandude

Nov 24, 2009
Ihateregistering1 said:
I never played it, but I've heard really good things about "Anachronox". It's an older game (it's on GOG I think) but it's definitely a sci-fi RPG (it's even billed as a "Epic sci-fi RPG adventure".
Anachronox is definitely at the top of my list of recommendations.

If you're fine with action rpgs i would also recommend Alpha Protocol as well has maybe the last two Jedi Knight games.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
I'd recommend Binary Domain. It's not exactly an RPG to be honest, but there is some level of upgrading over time. You spend money you earn fighting the robots, to upgrade your teams primary weapon. So in a way there is some leveling to it. The story is pretty good, the voice acting is quite excellent, and some of the characters are just damn awesome. It's pretty cheap on Steam too, so I'd say check it out. The combat is pretty fast paced, and very diverse. It's all cover based shooting yes, but the environment changes a great deal, and the method by which you have to do that fight changes a lot too. Overall, it was an enjoyable game with a very sci-fi-ish theme to it.

Going off the RPG element though, I would also suggest the Wing Commander series, Freelancer, Freespace series, and Tachyon, the Fringe. All space flight games, with a fun theme to them.

Other than that, yeah I can't really think of any RPG specific games that are sci fi in nature, that you haven't already listed.