Recommend me an anime(that isn't about kids in high school.)

Hazy

Jun 29, 2008
Darker than Black and its OVA DtB: Gaiden are great if you really like character-driven shows.

Baccano! will give you that Prohibition-era gangsters fix.

And Psycho Pass is a noir cyberpunk adventure about mental instability and guns that make people explode. If you didn't cream your pants reading that sentence I think you need to consult a doctor.

Yuuki

Mar 19, 2013
Liam Guzzo said:
What are you doing not watching Gurren Lagann right now. Watch it, Watch it right now. Already watched it ? Watch it again, then watch Kill la Kill !
Eh, Kill La Kill is 4 episodes in and still revolving around hichschool/academics...even though it's completely batshit insane and hilarious. I foresee the rest of the show not really moving on from that setting since the good ol' "you must defeat all the mini-bosses then beat the final boss" seems to be in play.

Definitely recommend Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann though, not a single school in sight except that 1 episode where Yoko is a teacher :p

Zak757

Oct 12, 2013
Nikolaz72 said:
Spice and Wolf. (Medieval, Romance, Economics.)
Fate Zero. (Grimdark, Grimdark, Grimdark)
Daily Lives of Highschool Boys (lol)
"Grimdark" implies extreme/darkness done to such an over-the-top and juvenile degree that it loses all of it's emotional impact and becomes either tiresome or hilarious, like Warhammer 40k. Fate/Zero isn't that, it's well done in every sense of the word.
Yuuki said:
Liam Guzzo said:
What are you doing not watching Gurren Lagann right now. Watch it, Watch it right now. Already watched it ? Watch it again, then watch Kill la Kill !
Eh, Kill La Kill is 4 episodes in and still revolving around hichschool/academics...even though it's completely batshit insane and hilarious. I foresee the rest of the show not really moving on from that setting since the good ol' "you must defeat all the mini-bosses then beat the final boss" seems to be in play.

Definitely recommend Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann though, not a single school in sight except that 1 episode where Yoko is a teacher :p
Episode 5 suggested that the mini-boss-of-the-week isn't going to happen and not everything is going to take place in Honnouji Academy.

Kill la Kill is so far devorced from your typical high school anime that I'm going to recommend it to the OP anyway. I know a lot of people say to "turn your brain off", but I appreciate it more when I left it on. Because like all Hiroyuki Imaishi works, it appears dumb but has some substance under the surface. Here, the substance is a commentary about the Japanese schooling system, mainly there uniforms and what they represent. The fanservice is a little annoying but it hasn't stopped me from watching it, because I can always scroll down during transformation sequences.

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
Baccano!
Armored Trooper VOTOMS
Samurai Champloo
Eureka 7
Scrapped Princess
Mobile Police Patlabor
Black Lagoon
Gun X Sword
Turn A Gundam
Pumpkin Scissors
Darker Than Black
Gurren Lagann
Vision of Escaflowne
Guin Saga
Ghost In The Shell Stand Alone Complex
Rideback (takes place at a University but has no school life elements)
Speedgrapher
Attack on Titan
Gargantia on the Verdurous Planet
Combat Mecha Xabungle
Heavy Metal L. Gaim
Aura Battler Dunbine
Space Runaway Ideon

Tons of stuff...