Recommend me an insanely long book

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
maninahat said:
Queen Michael said:
I'm just about to start In Search of Lost Time. Any good?
Oh yes. The second best book I've ever read. Only THe Journey to the West was better. Nothing else can beat it.
KaosuHamoni said:
Maaaaaaan. I was going to say La Comte de Monte Cristo... My favourite book.

Fine! More Dumas! The Three Musketeers.

Edit: Or try The Picture of Dorian Gray. Those are my three favourite books.
I've read them all, and I liked them all.

Clive Howlitzer

Jan 27, 2011
I don't know if it counts as fantasy or not but Romance of Three Kingdoms unabridged is quite long(over a thousand pages) and quite good. I have read it several times.

Queen Michael

Jun 9, 2009
Tanakh said:
I love Julio Cortazar's Hodgepodge, re reading it atm. If that doesn't suit you, maybe some Haruki Murakami? Dunno man, with your rules almost every novel in history is fair game. Can you be more specific in what are you looking for?
Hodgepodge? I googled it but couldn't find it. Do you mean Hopscotch? I read that one back in 2006, and it was amazingly fantastic. And I also love Haruki Murakami.

Feb 22, 2009
I don't know if you'd call it a novel exactly, but 1001 Nights is extremely interesting. Also, War and Peace, like others have been saying. Ulysses, Middlemarch, Moby Dick, all pretty great.

Aaaaaand pretty much any other suggestions I had are either already on the list or - you guessed it - fantasy. Book of the New Sun I can heartily recommend to anyone who does like fantasy and long books though.

Kudos on finishing In Search of Lost Time, I'm still halfway through the second volume, but someday... I read Crime and Punishment too, great book. I still need to read the rest of Dostoevsky's work - which would make a good suggestion for this thread actually - read Devils/Demons/whateverthefuckit'scalledinyouredition, The Idiot, and The Brothers Karamazov (and Notes from Underground too, though it's actually very short).

Also, since you didn't actually specify fiction, I often find just reading massive books about history to be interesting - Norman Davies' Europe: A History, for example. Probably not what you were looking for though.

Oh and if you happened to be interested in poetry, The Maximus Poems by Olson are an excellent, and very very long, series of poems.

octafish said:
Stop fucking about with this little stuff. Remembrance of Things Past AKA In Search of Lost Time. Marcel Proust. Get back to us when you finish that. One Novel. Seven Volumes. You can read the English translation if you like.
Maybe read the OP next time.

Queen Michael

Jun 9, 2009
octafish said:
Stop fucking about with this little stuff. Remembrance of Things Past AKA In Search of Lost Time. Marcel Proust. Get back to us when you finish that. One Novel. Seven Volumes. You can read the English translation if you like.
I mentioned it in the OP, mate. Finished it a couple of weeks ago.
Bedla said:
Another great (though somewhat unorthodox) read is Sandman from Neil Gaiman. Although it may have started as a series, it kinda grew from there. The last parts don't make much sense without all before them.
Read it all several times. A masterpiece.
Hawkeye21 said:
"American Gods" by Neil Gaiman. It's like a modern mythos, very entertaining and devilishly long.
Almost done with my rereading; though considering that I read the original version in 2008 and am reading the Author's Preferred Text version right now I'm not sure if you can say "rereading" when it's not the same text.
Captain Billy said:
Axolotl said:
Infinite Jest by David Foster Wallace.
A thousand times, yes. I don't think I've ever laughed as hard.

As for my personal recommendations, I've got a couple for you. These are actually my two favorite books, and while they're not necessarily super-long in terms of pages, if you invest the necessary time, they're plenty "insanely long."

The Divine Comedy by Dante Alighieri- [snipped for length]
House of Leaves by Mark Danielewski-
Considering how many are recommending Infinite Jest, I guess I'll go ahead and check it out.

I've already read and loved The Divine Comedy in Ingvar Björkesson's excellent translation, and I started House of Leaves a while ago but after reading about 40% I had to return it to the library, so now I'm in the unfortunate situation of having to either read on without understanding everything, or rereading a lot of the book.
spartan231490 said:
Really, why so against series if you like long reads?
I don't mind series; I'm in the process of reading the latest Discworld book since I've already read all the other over forty books in the series. The reason I don't want any series now, though, is because I want one long story, not several long story that start where the last one finished. Even if you count The Lord of the Rings as a series of three novels, instead of one novel in three volumes, you have to admit that it reads liike one novel and when it's published in one book you can't tell where one volume ends and another one begins. But if you were to publish, say, A Series of Unfortunate Events or the Narnia series (both of which I love) in one big volume, then even if they removed all the chapter numbers and so on you'd be able to tell exactly where one novel ended and the next one began. I don't want several connected stories right now, I want one long story.

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
Spambot 3000 said:
Try reading 'The Very Hungry Caterpillar', I mean, that's just unbelievable how much he ends up eating, you think he'd be satisfied after three whole meals but NO the greedy little shit just keeps on going.
Haha, I completely forgot about that book. I loved it when I was a kid. He does get pretty long so I guess that counts.

trooper6

Jul 26, 2008
My favorite Dickens is Bleak House...which is quite long...one of his longest I think. And it is awesome.

smearyllama

May 9, 2010
Cryptonomicon by Neal Stephenson is hella long. Around 1100 pages, I think, and it's pretty great. It's set both during World War II and the early 21st century (as seen from the mid-nineties). It's all about code-breaking and the emerging internet, but the depictions of technology (which were highly accurate when it was written) are a little outdated now.

Overall, it's pretty darn good.

Dfskelleton

Apr 6, 2010
Captain Billy said:
The Divine Comedy by Dante Alighieri- It's commonly regarded as one of, if not the, greatest poem ever written, and that's not without good reason. By turns a theological and metaphysical discourse, traditional epic, political commentary, love story, and slasher film, it's nothing if not diverse, but never schizophrenic. If you can stomach an unrelentingly graphic torture scene (read: the entirety of Inferno), you'll be rewarded with the best and arguably most influential journey story ever written. Its beauty ranges from perverse to serene, but it never loses the central contrapasso elements that make the story a cohesive and arresting whole.
Thank God; I was a little wary about reccomending the Divine Comedy, but now that I see someone else has done the same, I'll throw in my vote, too.
A truly unforgettable work, probably one of my favorites. The language is fluid and clever, the imagery is astonishing, and it's just damn good.

dystopiaINC

Aug 13, 2010
Under the Dome. Stephen King epic, long, and I never put it down for a week. over 1000 pg long and could stop a damn bullet

kmccarron739

Sep 10, 2008
Witty Name Here said:
Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand is one of the longest english-language books around and promotes her insane philosophical ideas. If you're ever in prison for a long enough time, you can spend your sentence reading it I suppose.
Approval from me.

I was actually surprised as I didn't see a mention of Atlas Shrugged (a novel which is ~40% longer then the Lord of the Rings trilogy in terms of word count and is also crazy dense due to the philosophical ideas behind it) until quite late (at time of writing) in the thread.

I finished it about a month ago, after going through it on and off for about a year, and I really enjoyed it. Sure, it's unlikely you'll agree with everything in it but worth the read, methinks. I mean, the concept must be at least half compelling and well written if Rapture was essentially based on Ayn Rand's idealisms.

Baneat

Jul 18, 2008
Axolotl said:
Infinite Jest by David Foster Wallace. It's one of the funniest books ever written, it's widely considered to be one of the great masterpieces of 20th century literature and if you're looking for something huge it's one of those novels you could club people to death with.
As many thumbs as I have up for Infinite Jest, it's legitimately incredible. Rand's bloody awful give her doorstoppers a pass.

loc978

Sep 18, 2010
Queen Michael said:
Here is what I've read already:

The Lord of the Rings

A couple of rules:

2. No fantasy.
3. No series.
I don't even...
Nevermind.

I'm not 100% sure you'd consider it not fantasy, not a series, or long enough... but The Ultimate Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy it a hilarious, relatively thought-provoking read at just shy of a thousand pages. It's also quite light-hearted. Not trying to judge too harshly, but... maybe you could use that.

Zombie Sodomy

Feb 14, 2013
I'd suggest Pillars of The Earth, World Without End, and Shogun. They're all historical fiction. The first two are a series, but are not actually connected to each other. They include events like the 100 years war, and the plague. Shogun is also part of a series, but it isn't really connected to the other books. Each is around 1000 pages.

TKretts3

Jul 20, 2010
Atlas Shrugged has near to 1090 pages, and there's even ~70 pages wherein one character makes a long (3 hour, apparently) speech). Les Miserables was mentioned, it's quite thick - ~1500 pages.

Evan Halfmann

Mar 18, 2012
I've been reading "Something Happened" by Joseph Heller. It's certainly not INSANELY long but it isn't short either. It's quite dark and often existential.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Les Miserables. A really good novel, very epic and occasionally goes off into tangents. I will say that it has perhaps the most interesting description of the 19th century Paris Sewer system ever written.

Againest the Day by Thomas Pychon. Spans 30 years, loads of characters, has about 4 major plotlines and a ton of minor ones, mostly comprehensible(which is more then you can say about Gravity's Rainbow). I enjoyed it a lot, despite being really unable to actually sum it up.

Queen Michael

Jun 9, 2009
dystopiaINC said:
Under the Dome. Stephen King epic, long, and I never put it down for a week. over 1000 pg long and could stop a damn bullet
Tried it. He's written better, but he's written worse, too.
loc978 said:
I'm not 100% sure you'd consider it not fantasy, not a series, or long enough... but The Ultimate Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy it a hilarious, relatively thought-provoking read at just shy of a thousand pages. It's also quite light-hearted. Not trying to judge too harshly, but... maybe you could use that.
CriticalMiss said:
Not sure if you count omnibuses (omnibi?) as a series, but the Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy omnibus is amazing, required reading for nerds and fairly long when all four books are squished together.
Heh. You know, there was this old forum I was a member of in my pre-Escapist days. It's gone now. Anyway, now and then someone would ask for book recommendations there, and at least one person always recommended The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. I've read it, but thanks.
Dfskelleton said:
Thank God; I was a little wary about reccomending the Divine Comedy, but now that I see someone else has done the same, I'll throw in my vote, too.
A truly unforgettable work, probably one of my favorites. The language is fluid and clever, the imagery is astonishing, and it's just damn good.
Been there, read that.