Recommend me an underrated album.

lowkey_jotunn

Feb 23, 2011
Not so much underrated as unheard of, but if you're in a rock and roll mood, you'd do well with either of the Karnivool Albums (well, 3 if you can find Persona, but good freaking luck)

"Themata" for more straight up rock

"Sound Awake" for a bit softer with a touch of Prog. Abstract time signatures, key changes, you name it, these guys will rock it.

(caveat, neither album falls fully into the categories listed, or any definable category except "Awesome")

arsenicCatnip

Jan 2, 2010
One Day It Will Please Us to Remember Even This and 'Cause I Sez So by the New York Dolls. David Johansen doesn't have the prettiest voice in the world, but the Dolls are an incredible band with some amazing new talent combed from other punk bands (since, sadly, 90% of the original members are dead now). They've been around in one form or another since the late '70s, and David Jo's been the lead singer since then. Fun fact: David Jo also performed under the name 'Buster Poindexter', and did the song Hot Hot Hot. You know the one.

This is the first single from One Day, entitled Dance Like a Monkey

Tucker154

Jul 20, 2009
Hymn of A Broken Man, by Times of Grace, is an amazing ablum that not alot of people seem to know.

Tucker154

Jul 20, 2009
Hymn of A Broken Man, by Times of Grace, is an amazing ablum that not alot of people seem to know.

Zinaxos

Feb 9, 2009
My Name is Skrillex... Just kidding. :p
"The Flying Club Cup" by Beirut. I don't think it's underrated, but Beirut isn't a band that many people have heard of where I'm from.

RRilef

Dangerfield Newby
Jan 5, 2009
I don't really have a grasp on whats really obscure/forgotten, so I'll just go with stuff I like but people I know have never heard of.

Aimee Mann: Pavlov's Bell (from Lost in Space)

Destroyer: Streethawk I (from Streethawk: A Seduction)
Now, personally, I love Dan Bejar's voice, but many people who I've gotten to listen to him can't stand it.

The Lodger: Good Ol Days (from Life Is Sweet)

Bobbety

May 16, 2011
If you say you can enjoy anything I'd suggest "Buck Fever" by Estradasphere, the songs do a lot of genre bending and have (what I feel is) a ton of variety.

6unn3r

Aug 12, 2008
http://open.spotify.com/album/05Hu2upmXcnye5TKXzUZpQ

Or you dont have spotify (why the hell not?):

VincentMm

Feb 13, 2009
Wouldn't say Grace is exactly a forgotten album but...

Reef - Replenish for some epic Indie/Surfer rock.
Baby D -Deliverance for some classic smooth DnB with a BEAUTIFUL female vocal.

Mar 28, 2011
Everybody knows Tool but everyone seems to forget about A Perfect Circle possibly my favourite band in the world. Thirteenth Step in itself is an amazing album and the cover art sticks with me as the original reason i bought it.

zehydra

Oct 25, 2009
Nadlice said:
It sounds like you would really enjoy Buck 65. I recommend the compilation "This Right Here is Buck 65".

No country or rap here, no sir.
zehydra said:
Mat Turner said:
Breaker deGodot said:
I can enjoy anything except for Country and Rap.
Then let me recommend some country and rap, you horribly average closed-minded turd.

Busdriver, like Twista but a thousand times sharper and with great production. Also a master of wordplay.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HpP-8tJ-9Js

The Old 97's, the kings of alt-country.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=is83WB7Ue1Y&feature=related

Don't shut out whole genres because you heard somebody say "HUR I LIKE ERTHANG BUT RAP AND COUNTRY". They're usually morons who only listen to Top 40.
Um, except I also hate those genres because I don't like the kind of sound they're based on. I love prog rock, grunge rock psychedelic stuff, and I'm by no means the kind of person that just listens to the top 40.

In fact, a lot of people who are music enthusiasts don't like rap or country
I really don't know anybody I'd call a music enthusiast who claims to dislike entire genres as large as country and rap.

On the off chance you've actually listened to artists representing most of the different forms of the genres, what was it that turned you off?
For rap anyway, what turns me off is the lead vocals not being sung.

Snake Plissken

Jul 30, 2010
Mat Turner said:
While I would give that title to Lucero and not the Old 97s, I appreciate finding fellow alt.country lovers. Thanks for supporting a genre that should be more recognized than it is.

Riccan

Oct 11, 2009
Don't know if this is what you are looking for, but here:
*cough*
*cough*

EDIT: Just realized that you asked for albums, so here are the albums in the same order:
Age of Silence - Trilogy of Intricacy EP
Winds - The Imaginary Direction of Time
Okkervil River - Black Sheep Boy
Demilich - Nespithe
Dan Swano - Moontower
Edge of Sanity - Crimson
Edge of Sanity - Twilight Afterglow
At the Gates - The Red in the Sky is Ours
Burden of Grief - Haunting Requiems
The Residents - Animal Lover

Nadlice

Jun 3, 2009
zehydra said:
Nadlice said:
It sounds like you would really enjoy Buck 65. I recommend the compilation "This Right Here is Buck 65".

No country or rap here, no sir.
zehydra said:
Mat Turner said:
Breaker deGodot said:
I can enjoy anything except for Country and Rap.
Then let me recommend some country and rap, you horribly average closed-minded turd.

Busdriver, like Twista but a thousand times sharper and with great production. Also a master of wordplay.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HpP-8tJ-9Js

Don't shut out whole genres because you heard somebody say "HUR I LIKE ERTHANG BUT RAP AND COUNTRY". They're usually morons who only listen to Top 40.
Um, except I also hate those genres because I don't like the kind of sound they're based on. I love prog rock, grunge rock psychedelic stuff, and I'm by no means the kind of person that just listens to the top 40.

In fact, a lot of people who are music enthusiasts don't like rap or country
I really don't know anybody I'd call a music enthusiast who claims to dislike entire genres as large as country and rap.

On the off chance you've actually listened to artists representing most of the different forms of the genres, what was it that turned you off?
For rap anyway, what turns me off is the lead vocals not being sung.
Is it fair to assume you tend to focus more on melody then lyrics then?

Do you feel you'd enjoy the atmosphere of some of the music were it not for vocal style?