Recommend me anything Noir.

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
Lately I've discovered a love for Noir and I desperately want to get closer. However, I'm a bit stumped as to what I should read/watch/listen so that's where you guys come in! Recommend me anything noir, whether it be a film, a t.v. show or even a musical album or painting. If it branches off into other genres, that's great. I also don't mind when it was made as long as it is Noir :).

Thank you!

Rastien

Pro Misinformationalist
Jun 22, 2011
You could re-create your own noir scene, go home close the curtains just enough so the moonlight comes through a break in the fabric, crank up the Judy Garland get really drunk and lie on your sofa in a drunken gloomey room haze to the sweet melodys of some Judy.

Oh and for good measure grab a cat on the way home, i hear they are pretty noir these days. You could call this scene the disgruntled detective comes home from a long day at work.

Sorry man i'm just yankin your chain, noir these days is kinda nieché but if your into that kind of things just look up various detective films and the like from the era. Personally i'm not a big fan and one of my friends is into it is a tad douchy with it :p so excuse the sarcasm above.

Nerexor

Mar 23, 2009
I'm assuming you mean the film noire genre? So do you mean strictly hard boiled detective style noire? If it's the latter then you have to go with the classics.

Authors:
Dashiell Hammett: The Maltese Falcon, The Thin Man, Red Harvest, and any of his short stories. Hammett actually worked in the detective business in that era, so he knows his stuff, and he's a fantastic writer as well. He's the father of the american hard boiled detective style, and the influence of his work was worldwide in his own lifetime. Hell, he inspired some of the scenes and story of Kurosawa's film Yojimbo, which in a weird bit of cultural cross-pollination, ended up coming back to the west when it was remade as "A Fistful of Dollars."

Raymond Chandler: You know the noire detective narration you hear in every reference to film noire? Chandler invented and perfected it. He's got a zillion short stories and a few novels. The Long Goodbye, and The Big Sleep are particularly famous

Mickey Spillane: This guy is basically the pulp version of Chandler. Tends to be heavier on the sex and violence, but still excellent hard boiled noir detective stuff. Just look up the Mike Hammer novels and you'll see the list of his stuff.

Movies: Anything based on the works of Hammett and Chandler. Notable works being "The Long Goodbye" "The Big Sleep" and "The Maltese Falcon"

For a more modern take...

The movie Brick takes the noire setting and applies it rigorously to high school. Not just a high school detective movie, but also the general society that noire films and novels take place in. It's a fantastic movie, and if you like noire you'll like it a lot.

For other noire stuff... Just look around for older films and you can find tons of stuff. Use the google to find out which ones are good.

ToastiestZombie

Don't worry. Be happy!
Mar 21, 2011
LA Noire with black and white on is pretty noir. That's the only thing I could think off, sorry.

Spacelord

May 7, 2008
Recently read China Miéville's The City & The City, which can be considered a 'weird fantasy noir detective' novel. It's critically acclaimed, and I thought it was pretty damn good too.

Vkmies

Oct 8, 2009
Double Indemnity is pretty much the biggest classic when it comes to Noire Movies. That and I guess you could consider Chinatown a Noire Film.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0036775/
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0071315/

Thomas Rembrandt

Feb 17, 2010
I can recommend two great adventure games: Grim Fandango and Discworld Noir. Great dialogue, awesome noir atmosphere and full of film references.
However, before playing, watch at least the movies Casablanca, The Maltese Falcon and The Big Sleep to understand those.

Additional: The first "Watch"- novel from the Discworld books (Guards!Guards!) is relatively noir, actually all Watch novels (look it up) are more or less hard boilded detective stories (of course with Terry Pratchett's homour).

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Max Payne 2, its about as noir as games can get.

Sexy Devil

Jul 12, 2010
If you have somehow managed to make it this far into the 21st century without seeing a bunch of Chris Nolan stuff then his films (excluding Inception and The Prestige) all fit into the noir genre. Following in particular is a big callback to classic noir.

Aside from that I don't really watch noir stuff, sorry.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
WEll if you got an DS then I recommend the game Hotel Dusk since it is Noir like.

ElPatron

Jul 18, 2011
Get a trenchcoat, a gun, pepper spray and see if the place you live in allows bounty-hunters so that you can being some dirtbags downtown.

Then get hammered and sleep 'till 14:00.

Ruedyn

Jun 29, 2011
Try looking up Humphrey Bogart. I think most of his movies are noir-ish.

Launcelot111

Jan 19, 2012
Dashiell Hammett, Raymond Chandler, and the guys who wrote The Galton Case and Devil in a Blue Dress (I forgot their names). Aside from the film adaptations of those authors, Chinatown is excellent as well. For something offbeat, watch the first season of Veronica Mars, which is a high school drama but Veronica is very much along the lines of a hardboiled detective and the show is pretty dark.

=y

May 11, 2012

Go ahead and google more! :D