Recommend me good "Medieval Era" movies?

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
I love he Medieval Era of Europes History, it just facsinates me to no end. I enjoy watching Kingdom of Heaven and Braveheart despite their flaws, but I am also sad that there is not many movies that take place during this era, but then again I could be wrong.

So I am just asking anyone knows any good Medieval Movies?

Smygskytt

May 18, 2015
It depends on what kind of movies you are looking for. If you can stand something more slow-paced, you should check out Ingmar Bergman's two medieval masterpieces: The Virgin Spring and The Seventh Seal. It may seem pretentious, but he is celebrated for a reason and few movie makers have captured the religious aspect that was central to the middle ages as well as him. Just watch this scene:

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
the December King said:
IronClad (2010) was pretty cool, I reckon... And Black Death (2011) with Sean Bean.
Do take care not to treat either movie that seriously. Ironclad is basically the Magnificent Seven/Seven Samurai in a medieval context.

the December King

Legacy
Mar 3, 2010
Soviet Heavy said:
the December King said:
IronClad (2010) was pretty cool, I reckon... And Black Death (2011) with Sean Bean.
Do take care not to treat either movie that seriously. Ironclad is basically the Magnificent Seven/Seven Samurai in a medieval context.
That's an interesting take on Ironclad - one I hadn't considered, actually.

I'd also recommend Hamlet (1990) - despite Mel's personal life, he's a great entertainer.

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
There's a Scandinavian film called "Arn" that follows a Swedish crusader's life. It's a lot better than Kingdom of Heaven, despite the lower budget.

I will also always recommend Robin Hood (2010). The trick is to not think of it as Robin Hood and suddenly you'll appreciate it a lot more.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
the December King said:
Soviet Heavy said:
the December King said:
That's an interesting take on Ironclad - one I hadn't considered, actually.
Think about it: The bishop hires two crusaders to defend a small town, so they go and rustle up a motley crew of warriors to help the castle guard (townsfolk) face off against a band of thugs harassing the villagers. Tell me that's not Magnificent Seven.

The movie also goes into a weird alternate history near the end where King John dies and the french take over England.

Paddy the Second

Apr 9, 2011
"Hard to be a God" the 2013 one not the 80s one. Not strictly Medieval because it's on another planet but I doubt any other movie has as much mud and guts as those times actually had.

Chanticoblues

Apr 6, 2016
If you don't mind movies about middle age mythos, check out Excalibur. That movie's beautiful and also pretty strange.

Otherwise I think a lot of the good films set in the middle ages are either going to be Shakespearean (Chimes at Midnight is awesome), about Joan of Arc (Rivette, Bresson and Dreyer all made great films about her), or made in Eastern Europe (Marketa Lazarova, Andrei Rublev, Valley of the Bees, Witchhammer, Alexander Nevsky).

bartholen_v1legacy

A dyslexic man walks into a bra.
Jan 24, 2009
Kingdom of Heaven. Make sure you watch the Director's Cut. The screenplay is a bit stiff at times and by jove Orlando Bloom cannot act, but it's one of the most spectacular looking medieval films made in the 2000s.

There's also the most recent adaptation of MacBeth with Michael Fassbender. It's got spectacular cinematography, powerhouse performances all around, and tons of grim atmosphere. I really, really liked it.
Paddy the Second said:
"Hard to be a God" the 2013 one not the 80s one. Not strictly Medieval because it's on another planet but I doubt any other movie has as much mud and guts as those times actually had.
Ever since I saw a review of this film, I've been intrigued by it. Do you know where I could watch it? It's not the kind of thing I expect to hit Netflix any time soon.

Smygskytt

May 18, 2015
Ezekiel said:
I recently watched The Seventh Seal, a philosophical Swedish movie from the 50s set during the Black Death. It was pretty good. I'll probably seek out some of the director's other films.
Then I recomend The Virgin Spring by the same director. I'd actually say that it is even slightly better than tss.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Watch Robert Bresson's 1974 Lancelot du Lac for an unabashedly grim, bloody take on Arthurian legend.

JUMBO PALACE

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 17, 2009
Country
USA
King Arthur with Clive Owen isn't the best movie ever made but I remember having fun with it

A Knight's Tale is a medieval jousting comedy with Heath Ledger if that sounds interesting to you

Not the right time period but Gladiator is a classic for some sword and shield fun

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
bartholen said:
Kingdom of Heaven. Make sure you watch the Director's Cut. The screenplay is a bit stiff at times and by jove Orlando Bloom cannot act, but it's one of the most spectacular looking medieval films made in the 2000s.

There's also the most recent adaptation of MacBeth with Michael Fassbender. It's got spectacular cinematography, powerhouse performances all around, and tons of grim atmosphere. I really, really liked it.
Paddy the Second said:
Ever since I saw a review of this film, I've been intrigued by it. Do you know where I could watch it? It's not the kind of thing I expect to hit Netflix any time soon.
ORLANDO BLOOM CAN'T ACT!!??

I found this movie to be the best movie of his career, scenes like this convinced me that he is no wooden actor:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8wj-v1Jdyc

Yes I did watch the Director's Cut and can I just say that this movie has the best portreyal of a siege battle against a walled castle/city/fortress?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r871wV78q4E

I go as far as to say its better then Helm's Deep.

bartholen_v1legacy

A dyslexic man walks into a bra.
Jan 24, 2009
Samtemdo8 said:
I didn't even read the OP... *facepalms*

Ehh, okay, "cannot act" might be a tad too far, but he can't carry the film to save his life. It's thanks to actors like Edward Norton, Liam Neeson and Brendan Gleeson around him that manage to mask how one-note his performance is. I haven't watched the film in a few years, but I remember him having like 3-4 expressions in the entire movie. Also, I find it peculiar that you were convinced of his acting ability by an action scene of all things. I enjoy the movie as well, but it never fully convinced me on how Balian, a blacksmith from the armpit of the world, ends up somehow becoming an expert fighter and master tactician defending an entire city.

Frission

Until I get thrown out.
May 16, 2011
The "Name of the Rose" by Umberto Eco was a great book, and I think the movie should be good. Not to mention that they have Sean Connery in it!

09philj

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 31, 2015
Samtemdo8 said:
bartholen said:

Paddy the Second said:
ORLANDO BLOOM CAN'T ACT!!??

I found this movie to be the best movie of his career, scenes like this convinced me that he is no wooden actor:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8wj-v1Jdyc

Yes I did watch the Director's Cut and can I just say that this movie has the best portreyal of a siege battle against a walled castle/city/fortress?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r871wV78q4E

I go as far as to say its better then Helm's Deep.
What, Orloondo Bland the charisma vacuum? I mean, he's no Shia LaBouef but still.

Paddy the Second

Apr 9, 2011
bartholen said:
I'm pretty sure it's actually on US netflix, i'm in the UK tho so don't quote me on it. It's one of the greatest films i've ever seen.