Recommend me obscure comic books and manga!

ninjaRiv

Aug 25, 2010
The Lyre said:
Rather obvious from my avatar. Everyone seems to know that Constantine is a comic book character, but compared to DC's frontrunners, very few people seem to have read anything from Hellblazer.
This is what I was going to say. Hellblazer's my jam.

Clearly you've already read that, though... And you've read a lot of stuff. How about 51 Serif or Jack the Lantern? I think it's time you began looking at back issues, to be honest.

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
Sir Christopher McFarlane said:
Queen Michael, are you checking every title in these lists?
Not right away, but I will be taking a look at about two a day, except for the ones that I can't find.

homerbert

Jun 24, 2009
Nelson

40 of the best and Brightest UK comics creators each do a short story about a girl, each in one day in her life a year apart. So like the book One Day, but with tons of different styles ranging for cutesy cartoony to obtuse art comic and everywhere in between. You'll know a few of the creators, like Philip Bond, but most of them are obscure. All really talented though and for something that's clearly 40 different personal short stories, it's a remarkably fluid and cohesive life story. Superb stuff.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Nelson-Rob-Davis/dp/1906653232

Eoin

Queen Michael

Jun 9, 2009
homerbert said:
Nelson

40 of the best and Brightest UK comics creators each do a short story about a girl, each in one day in her life a year apart. So like the book One Day, but with tons of different styles ranging for cutesy cartoony to obtuse art comic and everywhere in between. You'll know a few of the creators, like Philip Bond, but most of them are obscure. All really talented though and for something that's clearly 40 different personal short stories, it's a remarkably fluid and cohesive life story. Superb stuff.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Nelson-Rob-Davis/dp/1906653232

Eoin
First of all, I agree. I bought it this year, at the end of February, and it was really good. But I'm also a tad confused -- What do you mean with "Eoin?"

EDIT: Ah, I get it... It's your signature. Sorry, I'm a bit slow sometimes.

ninjapenguin1414

Jun 16, 2011
DarklordKyo said:
I've heard Irredeemable is pretty good. It's billed as a realistic take on Superman (moreso than Man of Steel apparently).
Irredeemable is indeed really good but the idea isn't that its a realistic Superman title more so just "what if Superman decided to kill everyone and rule the world" It's around 800 pages and I read it in two days. It's a really good read for anyone whose a fan of superhero comics and even if you don't like superhero's it's good.

quantumsoul

Jun 10, 2010
Eden: It's and Endless World. A Post-post apocalyptic cyberpunk story. It's can get pretty dark at times but nothing felt gratuitous to me. It's pretty rare but if you like cyber-punk stuff you'll like this.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eden:_It%27s_an_Endless_World!

These two not as obscure.

Priest. It's a Korean comic about a half-possessed priest killing zombies and fallen angels in the old west. Nothing at all like the movie. It's worth it for the artwork alone.

Monster. It's about a Japanese surgeon living in Germany trying to kill a serial killer he's somewhat responsible for. While being on the run himself. Saying more would spoil the first volume too much. The story has a good mix of light and dark. What I like is how genuinely good a person the main character was without realizing it.

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
Hmm. That's hard.

The most "obscure" thing I can think of (in that I've never heard anyone else mention it without actively looking for discussion) is this Manga called... well the name seems to change a lot. It's either O-Parts Hunter or 666 Satan. Been a while since I read it but it's a fairly silly shonen-esque thing about this kid with a mad ass boomerang that changes its perceived size based on how evil the person looking at it is. Or something. I think he was raised by a wolf or something too and from what I can recall there's this completely flat girl who after the obligatory timeskip gets fucking giant titties or something.

It's been a while.But I remember liking it.

Queen Michael

Jun 9, 2009
quantumsoul said:
Eden: It's and Endless World. A Post-post apocalyptic cyberpunk story. It's can get pretty dark at times but nothing felt gratuitous to me. It's pretty rare but if you like cyber-punk stuff you'll like this.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eden:_It%27s_an_Endless_World!

These two not as obscure.

Priest. It's a Korean comic about a half-possessed priest killing zombies and fallen angels in the old west. Nothing at all like the movie. It's worth it for the artwork alone.

Monster. It's about a Japanese surgeon living in Germany trying to kill a serial killer he's somewhat responsible for. While being on the run himself. Saying more would spoil the first volume too much. The story has a good mix of light and dark. What I like is how genuinely good a person the main character was without realizing it.
I've tried each of these, and all of them were good. Right now I'm working on Monster, and when I'm done with that I'll be moving on to Eden.
Hm... Moving on to Eden... Good name for a novel.

Queen Michael

Jun 9, 2009
TizzytheTormentor said:
Parasyte, I found it randomly and thought "why not, I can burn a few hours" I read some chapters and was hooked, it really drags you into the story.
[...]
I really do recommend it, I know you have so many already, but this is something that really did surprise me.
Thanks, but I've already read it. I finished it three years ago. :) And in case you were wondering, the answer is yes, it does stay as good for the entire series.

Marik2

Phone Poster
Nov 10, 2009
Queen Michael said:
Maybe a manga called Otoyomegatari might be up your alley? It is about the daily lives of people in 19th century Central Asia and has really beautiful detailed clothes and artifacts.

And theres some manga out there about the journey of Buddha and Pre-Islamic Arabs, but the names escape me....

V8 Ninja

May 15, 2010
Alright, let me take a crack at this; Chikyu Misaki. The plot revolves around a teenage girl finding a strange cousin of the Loch Ness Monster that can transform into a small boy. While that sounds like the premise of a light-hearted comedy/feel-good manga, there's lots of other actions occurring in the series, from criminal activities to potential love affairs. It's also a relatively short read, only rounding to three manga books worth of content. I recommend it very much so.

Queen Michael

Jun 9, 2009
Marik2 said:
Queen Michael said:
Maybe a manga called Otoyomegatari might be up your alley? It is about the daily lives of people in 19th century Central Asia and has really beautiful detailed clothes and artifacts.

And theres some manga out there about the journey of Buddha and Pre-Islamic Arabs, but the names escape me....
I love Otoyomegatari. And the other manga you're talking about might be Buddha by Osamu Tezuka.

Marik2

Phone Poster
Nov 10, 2009
Queen Michael said:
Marik2 said:
Queen Michael said:

I love Otoyomegatari. And the other manga you're talking about might be Buddha by Osamu Tezuka.
Bingo that is the one, now I need to remember the Arab manga that was on my library the other day. And yeah Otoyomegatari is beautiful and do wonder if things will go bad later on for the people there.

Queen Michael

Jun 9, 2009
TizzytheTormentor said:
Queen Michael said:
TizzytheTormentor said:
Parasyte, I found it randomly and thought "why not, I can burn a few hours" I read some chapters and was hooked, it really drags you into the story.
[...]
I really do recommend it, I know you have so many already, but this is something that really did surprise me.
Thanks, but I've already read it. I finished it three years ago. :) And in case you were wondering, the answer is yes, it does stay as good for the entire series.
Sweet, I plan to read more soon! Glad to see it keeps being good!

Lets see, there is the original Yu-Gi-Oh manga, one which had almost nothing to do with card games until half way through, it involves people being set on fire and even murder, pretty intense for something that I thought would be harmless card game action(I know Yu-Gi-Oh is popular, but the original manga is somewhat obscure)

You can read it here [http://www.mangahere.com/manga/yu_gi_oh/v01/c001/]!
Thanks for the recommendation, but once again you've chosen a manga that I finished years ago. :)

Queen Michael

Jun 9, 2009
TizzytheTormentor said:
Queen Michael said:
TizzytheTormentor said:
Queen Michael said:
TizzytheTormentor said:
[...]
Sweet, I plan to read more soon! Glad to see it keeps being good!

Lets see, there is the original Yu-Gi-Oh manga, one which had almost nothing to do with card games until half way through, it involves people being set on fire and even murder, pretty intense for something that I thought would be harmless card game action(I know Yu-Gi-Oh is popular, but the original manga is somewhat obscure)

You can read it here [http://www.mangahere.com/manga/yu_gi_oh/v01/c001/]!
Thanks for the recommendation, but once again you've chosen a manga that I finished years ago. :)
Gettin real tired of your genre savvy-ness Queen Michael...

Can't think of anything else particularly obscure I have read...

My sis recommends Pandora Hearts and Deadman Wonderland which are supposed to be pretty good.
Oooh, you're improving. Those, I've only read two books each of.

pyrosaw

Mar 18, 2010
1.Love and Rockets, both the "Locas" stories, and the "Palomar" stories. Also, if you can, try and find the original issues. There's a lot of really cool science fiction stuff they don't include in the compalations, like Errata Stigmata, Twitch City, or the "Bang" stories.

2.I also recommend graphic novel "Alias the Cat" by Kim Deitch. While I'm not all to sure about Kim Deitch's other work, this book is freakin great, featuring a complex story set in the 1910's and a present day cartoonist.

3. A lot of Alan Moore's more underrated work. While Watchmen and V For Vendetta were great, Promethea and Top Ten are so overlooked when they are sooooooo freakin good.

4. The Baltimore series, by Mike Mignola and Christopher Golden. It's steampunk, splatterpunk, alternate future, vampire fiction, gothic, Poe's Red Death GOODNESS!!