Recommend me some anime.

BamWam

Jun 29, 2011
Angel Beats is a wonderful anime that starts off ridiculous and ends sad. I recommend that.

Dr.Susse

Lv.1 NPC
Apr 17, 2009
Feel like something different?

Try Mushi-shi. It is with out a doubt the most relaxed anime I've ever had the pleasure of watching.

A seriously good anime and each episode is self contained and on youtube in full.

Smertnik

Apr 5, 2010
Oh hey, it's this thread again. I'd say go to a Japanese animation database (such as Anime Planet) and look at the highest rated stuff first. And if you find something to your liking search for similar works. It's somewhat more efficient than wading through various favourites lists of other people.

bakan said:
The only animes I didn't watch, which are in this collection, are Tatami Galaxy and Kemonozume.
If you liked Mind Game you should consider checking out Kemonozume, it's made by the same studio.

Death Carr

Less Than 3D
Mar 30, 2011
Torrasque said:
Fucking Evangelion... I don't want to turn this into a flame war thread, but Evangelion is not a great anime. It is not a good anime. I'd rather watch DBZ for the plot and character development, than watch Evangelion for anything.
Just looking at my DP you can see I immensely enjoyed Evangelion, that being said could you give some constructive crtiticism as to why you didn't like Evangelion?

OT:

Chuck another vote up for Gurren Lagann, crisp animation, likable characters, crazy, weird fun.

Also, Evangelion, The story is hard to understand unless you devote your entire attention to it, but apart from that I like it, I would recommend you start with the anime, rather than dive straight into the sub-par remakes.

OniaPL

Nov 9, 2010
Hmm... I hope you don't mind me using your thread for my own nefarious purposes. Don't want to make a new thread just for a single question.

Anyways... Does anyone know a manga like Vagabond, Shamo, Gantz? Or Berserk before the series went to shit?

Torrasque

Aug 6, 2010
Darth Carr said:
Torrasque said:
Fucking Evangelion... I don't want to turn this into a flame war thread, but Evangelion is not a great anime. It is not a good anime. I'd rather watch DBZ for the plot and character development, than watch Evangelion for anything.
Just looking at my DP you can see I immensely enjoyed Evangelion, that being said could you give some constructive crtiticism as to why you didn't like Evangelion?

OT:

Chuck another vote up for Gurren Lagann, crisp animation, likable characters, crazy, weird fun.

Also, Evangelion, The story is hard to understand unless you devote your entire attention to it, but apart from that I like it, I would recommend you start with the anime, rather than dive straight into the sub-par remakes.
<spoiler=I'll spoilerify this so only those who want to read about my issues with Evangelion can choose to read it>To be brief, every thing that Evangelion is known for, everything that Evangelion tries to do, is not done that well, and is done by other anime better.

The plot starts as a "oh noes, an alien race is out to kill humanity" but then shifts to be about three kids with a focus on the relationship between the main kid and his father, with sub plots involving members of the organization. None of the sub plots matter at all for the main plot, they kind of go their own direction and fizzle off into nothingness. The main plot however tries to address the first "aliens out to fuck our shit up" plot as well as the issues with the kid. Near the end of the anime, the entire plot shifts from a "this kid is important" to a "this kid is the only important thing about the anime, everything else doesn't matter". That is fine, I have seen it done before. However, in anime I have seen that done, the main character has a strong character or will be "ok, lets do this" and they get things done. The main kid in Evangelion is made to look like a fucking pussy the entire fucking anime. He can't make up his mind, changes it regularly, is afraid to fight, is afraid to do anything, etc. etc. At first, I was able to forgive this because I mean... Being thrown into a giant mech and fighting aliens for the sake of humanity, is pretty damn scary. Even though the kid is a naturally good pilot *cough*Gundam Wing much?*cough* without any training *cough*Macross*cough* the kid still feels everything that his mech feels. That was a good touch since there are few anime that include that little detail (Escaflowne does it, and does it better) and it is important to the anime. So this kid has all this shit to deal with and he's just a kid! I mean, I'd be afraid in his situation too. The only thing that kept me interested in the plot after all his being an indecisive pussy, was the fact that it seemed real. But after people started to die and shit started to get worse, he didn't have that "ok, I mind as well do my best and fix this all" or "deal with it" phase that you tend to see when people realize they have their back against the wall.
He felt the wall at his back, and started climbing it in an effort to escape...

Then there are the "little" details:
They complain about the costs to repair the Eva's after every engagement, yet they still seem to fix them super quick unless it is a plot device "Oh noez! We're being attacked and we don't have enough Eva's to fight!". Ignoring the fact that the Evas are fucking biological weapons that are being restrained at every moment, I find it ridiculous that they have the resources to fix them so quickly.
The city gets absolutely fucked many times, but seems to be perfectly fine for the next episode... Continuity issues like that annoy the hell out of me in an anime that is trying to be as serious as Eva is.
The philosophical issues that are brought up and addressed in Evangelion are very simple and easy to deal with, but Evangelion's explanation falls horribly short. It might be because I like a lot of philosophy and have watched all Ghost in the Shell many times, but Evangelion's explanation was super confusing and left me saying "well... is that it? that didn't even answer anything!". I was able to understand Innocence the first go, and understand it more and more as I watch it again and again, but Evangelion just doesn't click with me. A friend told me "you just don't get it", but considering he watches Ghost in the Shell with a glazed look over his eyes, I'm assuming he has no idea what the fuck he's talking about either.
The sub plots... UGH. In any anime I watch (any good one), the characters are developed, their concerns and personalities grow, the plot develops and by the end of the anime, you see any character that has any kind of importance, have an important role in the anime. It doesn't matter if that sub plot is just them kissing at the end, or them dying, at least they do something that has meaning. Evangelion's minor characters kind of just fall to the background more than any other minor character should.

And here's a pretty big one: the hype.
Evangelion gets more hype than Mass Effect 3 and Skyrim do. Evangelion seems to be in a category of anime that is just expected to be good, that people will always go "woah woah woah... what did you just say about Evangelion?". I love Ghost in the Shell, but I'll accept criticism about it and address it. Most Eva fans I have talked to will not be able to listen to my issues with Evangelion because they'll just say "you just need to watch it again" or "you don't know what you're talking about".
That gets annoying after the 4th time -_-
And its only Evangelion fans that do that to me.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
If you love Cowboy Bebop then you will love this anime Samurai Champloo since it is done by the same guy who did Cowboy Bebop.

Darby

Jul 21, 2010
I liked Ouran High School Host club. You can download every episode here (English Dubbed). http://forum.nihonomaru.com/full-series/125519-%5Be-d%5D-ouran-high-school-host-club-ep-01-26-complete-series.html
I also enjoy Ranma 1/2, but you might find that a little "boob-tacular"...

DeltaEdge

May 21, 2010
I recommend:
To aru majutsu no index seasons 1 and 2 (A light novel series converted into an anime: Highly recommended. Hell, you can find the translated novels with at http://www.baka-tsuki.org/project/index.php?title=Toaru_Majutsu_no_Index so I recommend reading them if you wanna get ahead on the story after the anime ends.)
Persona 4 the animation A great game that was made into an anime which is also great. One of the few game to cartoon transitions where they didn't butcher the speechless main character (see Legend of Zelda cartoon for example of what's bad)
History's strongest Disciple Kenichi A great anime about a wimpy kid who learns martial arts and this description doesn't do it much justice, but it's a pretty damn good anime. (contains some ecchi) And an OVA just came out for it like last week.

These are all anime a recommend at the moment. Oh, and also To aru Kagaku no Railgun (maybe, but definitely not until after you watch the first season of To aru Majutsu no Index)(it focuses more on the science side of the anime than the magic side you won't get to see any magicians in railgun sadly.)

Crenelate

May 27, 2010
Johnnydillinger said:
Seems like noone mentioned it, so I'd recommend When They Cry. Uh, lemme look up the original title... here: Higurashi No Naku Koro Ni.

It's pretty much like Twin Peaks meets Groundhog Day; I simply couldn't stop watching it after watching the first story arc, and it can even be quite scary sometimes. Yeah, scary; never thought that would work in an anime series.
Please tell me you didn't watch it dubbed? I'm not a subtitle snob, but I've seen some clips of the english dub of higurashi and it sounded absolutely awful. I recommend it as well (I will say it's among my top ten favorite tv shows period) but definitely watch it with subtitles.

F'Angus

Nov 18, 2009
I've always like Fullmetal Alchemist, both the original and Brotherhood are great so I'd recommend either of those.

I'm also watching D.Gray-Man right now, which is pretty good, it takes quite a few breaks from the story so it stays interesting.

And if you want something quite complex I suggest Darker than Black.. The first season is fairly straight forward, the second season gets more difficult..but there's a couple of OVAs that fit between the seasons which explain a lot.

Lastly I recommend Rurouni Kenshin/Samurai X... Story of Battousai the Manslayer trying to continue a life without killing anyone. It has a great plot, and brilliant battles.

flying_whimsy

Dec 2, 2009
Viper1265 said:
Here is the chart of Essentials. Read the descriptions and choose what you like. Have fun.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/18286588/1319008691061.jpg

Personally I recommend Planetes and Monster, both are fantastic.
Oh man, I am so glad to see a list that has Kaiba on it; to this day I've only ever known one other person who has seen it and I was the one that had him watch it. Everyone else just thinks I'm mispronouncing Kiba and assumes I'm talking about the show about that little white jungle cat.

OT: That image is a good place to start, though I would be remiss in neglecting Full Metal Panic, Robot Carnival, or Nodame Cantabile (though I found the live action version of nodame to be vastly superior, but your experience may vary).

deathbydeath

Jun 28, 2010
bonus points for netflix you say?

Rin: daughters of mnemosyne (very interesting and smart supernatural drama/detective thingy. and it's pretty intelligent)
Speed Grapher (also very smart, about a former war photographer that's trying to bring down a corrupt city, also very supernatural, but it can work well in this case)

EDIT: oh, and claymore, ghost in the shell, and death note (haven't finished the manga or seen the anime, but i'd still give it a look)

Loop Stricken

Covered in bees!
Jun 17, 2009
deathbydeath said:
EDIT: oh, and claymore, ghost in the shell, and death note (haven't finished the manga or seen the anime, but i'd still give it a look)
Death Note should've ended after the first season. Just saying.

CrazyGirl17

I am a banana!
Sep 11, 2009
My recommendations: Fullmetal Alchemist/Brotherhood, Code Geass, Death Note... and that's all I can think of right now...

EDIT: A few more- Mushi-Shi, Axis Powers Hetalia, Tenga Toppen Gurren Lagann, Baccano and Outlaw Star. I also recommend Puella Magi Modoka Magica for a... different take on Magical Girl animes. Also, I hear Tiger and Bunny is really good...