Recommend me some anime.

deathbydeath

Jun 28, 2010
Loop Stricken said:
deathbydeath said:
EDIT: oh, and claymore, ghost in the shell, and death note (haven't finished the manga or seen the anime, but i'd still give it a look)
Death Note should've ended after the first season. Just saying.
What happens then? I haven't seen the anime version.

Auron225

Oct 26, 2009
Definitely FMA: Brotherhood and DeathNote. They are awesome. Soul Eater is awesome as well but went a little downhill towards the end. Still worth watching though - it has my favourite anime fight-scene of all time =) Black Star vs Mifune round 2... oh man, it was magical.

EDIT: For this sub-conversation about FMA and Brotherhood. To clear up any confusion:

The manga started way back when and the original FMA series began a little while after it did but it caught up. Rather than going to fillers, the anime went its own direction which became VERY different from the manga. Very few people were really happy with the ending of the anime. Then, later on they made Brotherhood which vowed to follow the manga to a t, which it did. And it was incredible! The only downside to Brotherhood is the first few episodes are confusing to those that havent seen the original since it starts again from the beginning but blitzes through to the point where the original anime went off on its own, so it could be a bit confusing to those that havent read the manga or seen the original.

My advice: Watch the original until around episode 10-15, then leave it and watch Brotherhood all the way through. Watch all of the original if you want but it would be a crime against yourself to not see Brotherhood as well.

Zetatrain

Sep 8, 2010
Country
United States
Hixy said:
Palademon said:
necromanzer52 said:
Regnes said:
Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood is easily the best recent anime produced, it's been my number one recommended anime for 3 years now.

Even if you consider brotherhood to be better (which I don't), Wouldn't you agree that you should watch the 2003 one first?
I (sorry that I'm not the person you asked) would recommend at least watching the first 25 or so episodes of the original series first since Brotherhood wanted to get those episodes out of the way as fast as possible. Watching all of 03 depends on how much you like it.
My only problem with Brotherhood other than that is that it doesn't seem as dark.
I have seen the original series before brotherhood, is there enough difference between the shows to make it worth watching brotherhood? I really liked the original series though.
Yes, there is. While the first 15 or so episodes of Brotherhood are very much like the ones in the original anime it quickly diverges from the plot of the original around ep.15. There's a different main villian, new characters, and the overall scope or scale of plot is much bigger.

soes757

Jan 24, 2011
FLCL!
Go watch it. 3 hours long, and one of the best things ever. After you finish it, go watch it again, and again, and again.

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
MajorTomServo said:
It's sunday night, Im bored, my homework is done, and I dont have class until 4pm tomorrow. I've been wanting to watch some new anime lately, and I figure you guys know what's what. I havent seen much in the line of grown-up anime, mostly just toonami from when I was little. So far, I've only really seen Cowboy Bebop (which was awesome), a few episodes of Trigun (which was... okay), and High School of the Dead (which I really liked, even though it was a little too... boob-tacular for my tastes.)

Bonus points if it's on netflix!
The ones I've seen and liked.

Full Metal Alchemist (51 episodes)
Full Metal Panic (Mechas with awesome battles and humor, 40 min episodes about 17 eps)
Samurai Champloo (20 something episodes)
07 Ghost (great but the anime stopepd at 20 and after that, about a year, they made 5 more to seal the series, haven't seen teh 5 last)

But the top 3 are good ones to start with.

Macgyvercas

Spice & Wolf Restored!
Feb 19, 2009
*ahem*

I heartily reccommend Spice & Wolf. It's set in what I would describe as psuedo-medieval Europe, and follows the story of Kraft Lawrence,a travelling merchant just trying to make a living and save up to buy a shop, who chances to meet Holo, a deity of the harvest. She wishes to return home, and makes an agreement with Lawrence to get her there, as she has been bound to the region for some time, and wants to see how the world has changed.

Personally, I love everything about this series. The story, the animation, the soundtrack (medieval type music), the banter between the main characters...everything. And yes, it's on netflix, and the dub doesn't suck. That said, I understand that not everyone will appriciate a fantasy about economics and trading instead of sword and sorcery. I suggest you watch five episodes. If you don't like it after that, odds are you aren't going to.

/soapbox

Xanthious

Dec 25, 2008
Well I'm not a huge anime guy but the couple of anime series I have been able to get into have been Berserk and Record of Lodoss War. Although recently after catching some episodes on TV I've been getting into Dragonball and Dragonball Z too.

ZehMadScientist

Oct 29, 2010
deathbydeath said:
Loop Stricken said:
deathbydeath said:
EDIT: oh, and claymore, ghost in the shell, and death note (haven't finished the manga or seen the anime, but i'd still give it a look)
Death Note should've ended after the first season. Just saying.
What happens then? I haven't seen the anime version.
The anime should have ended when L died. Everything with Mello and Near was just rubbish.

OT: My obligatory recommendation is Steins;Gate, a sci-fi thriller about time travel with a commendable plot and likable characters. It also happens to be my favorite anime/Visual Novel.

Other good choices are:

Bakemonogatari/Nisemonogatari

Mushishi

Clannad (Afterstory)

Monster

I've got tons more of recommendations, but I would go on forever otherwise so I'll just stop here :D

Flamezdudes

Aug 27, 2009
Neon Genesis Evangelion
Welcome to the NHK
Clannad and Clannad: After Story (these will make you cry and laugh like a *****.)
Angel Beats
Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood
Ergo Proxy
Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magika (It may look like a little girl anime at first but it gets REALLY fucked up and awesome.)
Mobile Suit Gundam 00
Spice and Wolf

So... Yeah. They're all awesome.

Johnnydillinger

Aug 16, 2011
Crenelate said:
Johnnydillinger said:
Seems like noone mentioned it, so I'd recommend When They Cry. Uh, lemme look up the original title... here: Higurashi No Naku Koro Ni.

It's pretty much like Twin Peaks meets Groundhog Day; I simply couldn't stop watching it after watching the first story arc, and it can even be quite scary sometimes. Yeah, scary; never thought that would work in an anime series.
Please tell me you didn't watch it dubbed? I'm not a subtitle snob, but I've seen some clips of the english dub of higurashi and it sounded absolutely awful. I recommend it as well (I will say it's among my top ten favorite tv shows period) but definitely watch it with subtitles.
I second this. I watched the whole first season dubbed and it was... awkward. I have heard worse dubs than that, and it may not actually ruin the quality of the show that much, but yeah, stick with the subtitles. And for me, it pretty much is THE favourite anime show :D

MajorTomServo

Jan 31, 2011
Caramel Frappe said:
MajorTomServo said:
It's sunday night, Im bored, my homework is done, and I dont have class until 4pm tomorrow. I've been wanting to watch some new anime lately, and I figure you guys know what's what. I havent seen much in the line of grown-up anime, mostly just toonami from when I was little. So far, I've only really seen Cowboy Bebop (which was awesome), a few episodes of Trigun (which was... okay), and High School of the Dead (which I really liked, even though it was a little too... boob-tacular for my tastes.)

Bonus points if it's on netflix!
Sure shows and movies are great indeed (which they really are) but.. how about something new even for Anime standards? I would like to present you a game where you can download for free.. and that will possibly make an impact on your life even if it's not a major one. Take a look before you decide to download.

Disabled Girl Dating Sim Katawa Shoujo [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/115047-Disabled-Girl-Dating-Sim-Katawa-Shoujo-Finally-Available]

User Review on Katawa Shoujo [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/326.339076-Red-Pyramid-Thing-Reviews-Katawa-Shoujo-Visual-Novel]

Please do give it a chance. I was like most people at first- very hesitant because you know.. it's a Dating Sims game thus it's about dating disabled girls. Nothing wrong with dating real life girls who are disabled but this is an Anime thus probably has some odd crap. Well, let me relieve you that it's actually realistic thus if you're not a fan of adult themes (cause it does have sex scenes) then you can turn it off in the options menu. So have a go at it my friend, see if it'll suit you in the mean time. Let me know what you think after, i'd love to hear your feedback overall! :}

Click Here to Download Katawa Shoujo [http://katawa-shoujo.com/download.php]
This is pretty good, I like it more than I thought it would. Thanks for showing me!

And I like that you can turn off the adult content. That's important in a japanese dating sim. ;]

Saltarius

Aug 30, 2011
If you don't mind the stereotypes and slight racism, Axis Powers Hetalia's actually pretty damn funny.

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
Look up Yoko Kanno:
Any anime she's helped do music for is gonna be at least 'decent', most are outstanding.

Imre Csete

Original Character, Do Not Steal
Jul 8, 2010
Baccano!

Prohibition Era US, bootleggers, gangs, immortal alchemists, all throw on a train for an epic showdown. Made in a flashback format told from different perspectives.

It's relatively short, but fun and has so much characters/plots/details for you to keep in check it's mind blowing.