Recommend me some DS games.

Poetic Nova

Pulvis Et Umbra Sumus
Jan 24, 2012
A friend of my gifted me a Nintendo DS with some games, that being: 'Final Fantasy Chrystal Chronicles: Ring of Fates' 'Pokemon White', 'Mario Kart DS', 'Super Mario 64 DS' and 'Professor Layton and the Curious Village'. And I was wondering, fellow escapists, which would you recommend?

My taste in gaming would be games that have unique gameplay or are rather atmospheric, I won't mind story heavy ones aswell.

Launcelot111

Jan 19, 2012
The World Ends With You is a neat game, great presentation and unique gameplay (RPGish with all touch controls and gesture based battles)

999 is heavy on atmosphere, it's a puzzle/choose your own adventure with a great story

Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor is a turn based strategy RPG where Tokyo is the site of the forces of hell breaking loose, has a good story and lots of different endings

Beyond those, Final Fantasy A2, Radiant Historia, or any Castlevania game are solid choices.

Fractral

Tentacle God
Feb 28, 2012
The devil survivor games are very good, if a little hard at times. You might also find them rare/expensive, but it's worth it, especially the second one. They do the biblical apocalypse thing very well, and have good stories and surprisingly deep gameplay.
You might also want to try The world ends with you, which has a pretty unique gameplay system and story. Short, but fun.
You've already got pokemon white, so if you like it I'd advise picking up White 2, which has more features, as well as platinum.
Do you have a GBA slot? If so, there's a whole bunch of good GBA games out there. I'd recommend Final Fantasy 4-6, among others. I think FF4 also had a DS remake, though opinions on it seem to be mixed.
And you may as well get Animal Crossing. Just beware, as it could well swallow up your life.

McMarbles

May 7, 2009
If you liked Professor Layton, there's three more on the DS.

The Ace Attorney games might appeal to you as well. There's five of those.

Poetic Nova

Pulvis Et Umbra Sumus
Jan 24, 2012
McMarbles said:
If you liked Professor Layton, there's three more on the DS.

The Ace Attorney games might appeal to you as well. There's five of those.
Will be looking for the rest aswell if Professor Layton keeps me interested in it. And Ace Attorney is noted, will check it out.

Fractral said:
The devil survivor games are very good, if a little hard at times. You might also find them rare/expensive, but it's worth it, especially the second one. They do the biblical apocalypse thing very well, and have good stories and surprisingly deep gameplay.
You might also want to try The world ends with you, which has a pretty unique gameplay system and story. Short, but fun.
You've already got pokemon white, so if you like it I'd advise picking up White 2, which has more features, as well as platinum.
Do you have a GBA slot? If so, there's a whole bunch of good GBA games out there. I'd recommend Final Fantasy 4-6, among others. I think FF4 also had a DS remake, though opinions on it seem to be mixed.
And you may as well get Animal Crossing. Just beware, as it could well swallow up your life.
It has a GBA slot, yes. Was thinking about Platinum. These recommendations are noted :)

Launcelot111 said:
The World Ends With You is a neat game, great presentation and unique gameplay (RPGish with all touch controls and gesture based battles)

999 is heavy on atmosphere, it's a puzzle/choose your own adventure with a great story

Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor is a turn based strategy RPG where Tokyo is the site of the forces of hell breaking loose, has a good story and lots of different endings

Beyond those, Final Fantasy A2, Radiant Historia, or any Castlevania game are solid choices.
I've heard of '999' before, will check it out aswell as the rest you are recommending.

Thank you very much guys :D
These, Okamiden and Hotel Dusk: Room 215 are on my list to check out.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
Here's a good one: Jump Ultimate Stars. You'll have to import it, but it'll work on the DS and 3DS just fine.
Basically think Super Smash Brothers for the DS, only instead of Nintendo characters it is full of Shonen anime characters.

Nothing is more fun that having Goku, Naruto, and Ichigo battling against each other, and then kick all of their asses with Bobobo-Bo-Bo-Bobo characters. The game has a ton of content that to this day I'm still unlocking.

There is a prequel to the game, Jump Super Stars Ultra that is also on the DS, but Ultimate Stars is better.

Poetic Nova

Pulvis Et Umbra Sumus
Jan 24, 2012
Neronium said:
Here's a good one: Jump Ultimate Stars. You'll have to import it, but it'll work on the DS and 3DS just fine.
Basically think Super Smash Brothers for the DS, only instead of Nintendo characters it is full of Shonen anime characters.

Nothing is more fun that having Goku, Naruto, and Ichigo battling against each other, and then kick all of their asses with Bobobo-Bo-Bo-Bobo characters. The game has a ton of content that to this day I'm still unlocking.

There is a prequel to the game, Jump Super Stars Ultra that is also on the DS, but Ultimate Stars is better.
Noted aswell, sounds like a game I surely would enjoy.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
0takuMetalhead said:
Noted aswell, sounds like a game I surely would enjoy.
If you like anime then I'm sure you'll like it. Thing is that it's in Japanese only, but there are translation guides online.
The most powerful characters, they have 8-block komas, are Luffy, Ichigo, Sasuke, and Goku. 7-block is the second highest on in Ultimate Stars, but it's the highest one in Super Star Ultra.
Really it's a fun game in general and I don't regret buying it.

wintercoat

Nov 26, 2011
I'll break out the list! Those with an asterisk come with extra super special recommendations.

Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney, Trials and Tribulations, Justice for All
Apolo Justice: Ace Attorney

Atelier Annie: Alchemist of Sera Island

Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow, Order of Acclesia*, Portrait of Ruin

Dragon Quest 4, 5, and 6

Etrian Oddyssey 1, 2, and 3.

Final Fantasy Tactics: A2

Ghost Trick*

Infinite Space

Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days, and ReCoded

Luminous Arc 1+2

Magical Starsign

Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor 1 and 2

Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey*

Pokempon Black/White, Black/White 2

Pokemon Conquest

Pokemon HeartGold/SoulSilver

Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Sky

Professor Layton and the Curious Village; and the Diabolical Box; and the Unwound Future*(Unwound Future gets an asterisk because of dem feels); and the Last Specter

Radiant Historia*

Rune Factory 1, 2, 3

Sands of Destruction

The Dark Spire

Exius Xavarus

Casually hardcore. :}
May 19, 2010
GBA:

Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow - Action Adventure
Dragonball Z: Legacy of Goku - Action Adventure
Dragonball Z: Legacy of Goku 2 - Action Adventure
Dragonball Z: Buu's Fury - Action Adventure
Golden Sun - JRPG
Golden Sun: The Lost Age - JRPG
Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga - JRPG
Megaman Battle Network - JRPG
Megaman Battle Network 2 - JRPG
Megaman Battle Network 3 White/Blue - JRPG
Megaman Battle Network 4 Red Sun/Blue Moon - JRPG
Megaman Battle Network 5 Team Colonel/Team Protoman(or Double Team for DS) - JRPG
Megaman Battle Network 6 Cybeast Gregar/Cybeast Falzar - JRPG

DS:

Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow - Action Adventure
Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin - Action Adventure
Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia - Action Adventure
Chrono Trigger - JRPG
Hotel Dusk: Room 215 - Point & Click Adventure
Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney - Investigative Adventure & Courtroom Battle
Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney: Justice for All - Investigative Adventure & Courtroom Battle
Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney: Trials and Tribulations - Investigative Adventure & Courtroom Battle
Apollo Justice Ace Attorney - Investigative Adventure & Courtroom Battle
Ace Attorney Investigations: Miles Edgeworth - Investigative Adventure & Detective Battle
Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time - JRPG
Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story - JRPG
Megaman Battle Network 5: Double Team - JRPG
Megaman Zero Collection - Action Platformer
999: 9 Hours, 9 Persons, 9 Doors - Point & Click Adventure

If any of the games I listed have already been said, take it to mean I second, third or fourth that suggestion.

Exhuminator

Oct 14, 2013
0takuMetalhead said:
My taste in gaming would be games that have unique gameplay or are rather atmospheric, I won't mind story heavy ones as well.

If you're getting Hotel Dusk (good choice, it's the best DS game ever made IMO), don't miss its sequel, Last Window.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Last_Window:_The_Secret_of_Cape_West

Other stuff you might like based on your criteria...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ghost_Trick:_Phantom_Detective

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theresia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_Hollow

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unsolved_Crimes
This game got "meh" reviews. I found it to be quite fun though. Nice atmosphere and unique puzzles.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Another_Code:_Two_Memories

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trauma_Center:_Under_the_Knife

And... that's just a small sample of what the DS has to offer in adventure games alone (let alone other genres). The DS has a mammoth library, truly.

Sakurazaki1023

Feb 15, 2010
Castlevania (any of the 3 DS ones)
9 Persons, 9 Hours, 9 Doors
Advanced Wars (either DS one)
Ghost Trick
Devil Survivor 1&2
Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey (Only if you like old-school dungeon crawlers)

Everything mentioned above is excellent as well.

Poetic Nova

Pulvis Et Umbra Sumus
Jan 24, 2012
So many amazing recommendations, thank you all very much!

The list of games this far I do want are:
Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey
Another Code
Theresia
Ghost Trick: Pahntom Detective
Hotel Dusk
Last Window
all Castlevania games
Phoenix Wright series
Pokemon White 2 and Platinum
Radiant Historia
The Dark Spire
The other Professor Layton games
Jump Ultimate Stars
The World Ends With You
Okamiden

So many awesome games, thx again fellow escapists!

CazTheGamerGuy

Sep 6, 2013
Seeing how you've already mentioned you want to try The World Ends With You and Radiant Historia, two of my highest recommendations for the system, I thought i'd recommend Monster Tale and Henry Hatsworth, two wonderful platformers with their own twist, one involving pet simulation, the other puzzle solving and the finest tea powered robot known to Great Britain. Both can be found fairly cheap and are definitely worth your time.

Elvis Starburst

Unprofessional Rant Artist
Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
Ghost Trick
Trauma Center: Under the Knife 2
Suikoden Teirkreis
Lufia: Curse of the Sinistrals
Nanostray 1 &2
Nostalgia

Some of my fave games for the system, EVER

jebara

Nov 19, 2009
Ace Attorney series and Ghost Trick, everything else is secondary.

Start from the first.

madwarper

Mar 17, 2011
The Etrian Odyssey series; I, II and III are on the DS. IV and Untold are available on the 3DS.

Also, the Rune Factory series; I, II and III are on the DS. IV was just released on the 3DS.

Lieju

Jan 4, 2009
jebara said:
Ace Attorney series and Ghost Trick, everything else is secondary.

Start from the first.
This, so much.

Make sure to play the Ace Attorney-games in order:
Phoenix Wright, Ace Attorney
Justice for All
Trials and Tribulations
Apollo Justice

Then there's the Ace Attorney investigations, which you're probably best off playing after Apollo Justice.

Ghost Trick is a totally stand-alone game.

AuronFtw

Nov 29, 2010
Oh jesus, DS had one of the hugest libraries ever, especially given the easy access to GBA stuff.

All the pokemons - most notably Heart Gold and Soul Silver, which are quite a bit better than BW/BW2... although, if you have a 3ds, skip this step because XY is the best gen to date

Scribblenauts and Super Scribblenauts - puzzle games where you conjure up any item you can think of to solve each level

Brain Age/Brain Age 2 simple arithmetic, counting and word puzzles to keep your mind sharp

Multiple mediocre Castlevanias - Dawn of Sorrows, Portrait of Ruin, Order of Ecclesia - worth a play if you're super into castlevania, nothing to write home about if not (although the GBA title Aria of Sorrows is commonly lauded as the second best castlevania game, so you can give that a shot if you want)

Etrian Odyssey - REALLY FUCKING HARD roguelikes where you draw your own map as you go along, definitely not for everyone

The incredible 3d remakes of Final Fantasy 3 and 4 (seriously, do not miss these)

Chrono Trigger (remake, obv)

Super Mario 64 DS - definitely a solid title, offers play as multiple characters instead of just mario

Phoenix Wright - humorous pseudo-court franchise in the style of older adventure games

Zelda: Spirit Tracks (skip phantom hourglass, it was terrible) - very very smooth stylus controls, great dungeons, kinda tedious map travel (you have to drive your train everywhere, which gets old as soon as you get bored of having a cannon mounted on your train)

Final Fantasy Tactics A2 (DS game, following FFTA1 on GBA - both are pretty solid Turn Based Strategy with lots of optional content)

Kirby Squeak Squad, Kirby Super Star Ultra, etc (if you're into that sort of thing)

And my personal favorite... Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan!

Ouendan was a japanese rhythm game that spawned the slightly inferior, westernized version called Elite Beat Agents, but the original japanese game was full of some pretty great jpop/jrock. It's literally all in japanese, but you can figure out the menus without too much hassle, and the gameplay is all stylus controlled, hitting areas of the screen in sync with the music. Very addicting, very fun. Ouendan was followed up by Elite Beat Agents, and then Ouendan 2, but the true gem (imo) is still the first game. Well worth a try.

Have fun with your DS mate!