Recommend Me Some Good Books

tzimize

Mar 1, 2010
I recently read Mistborn. A trilogy by Brandon Sanderson. One of the best reads I've ever had. Great stuff on all fronts and instantly one of my favorite series off all time.

If you feel a bit depressive the Chronicles of Thomas Covenant is also quite good.

sheic99

Oct 15, 2008
erikpurne said:
Four parts? What about 'Mostly Harmless'?

EDIT: Why doesn't replying work?
You need to hit the quote button. We've all made that mistake before.

I can't really remember anything at the moment though.

MurderousToaster

Aug 9, 2008
erikpurne said:
Four parts? What about 'Mostly Harmless'?

EDIT: Why doesn't replying work?
Use "Quote" instead of reply. Reply just does a normal post.

On topic: Flashman! It's about a 19th century officer in the British army. However, he is also a drunkard, an arsehole, a serial shagger and a massive coward. It's great.

Koroviev

Oct 3, 2010
Requiem for a Dream by Hubert Selby, Jr.
I originally dismissed this book. The idiosyncratic grammar coupled with the lack of dialog breaks made is seem not worth the trouble. However, having seen the movie and, more importantly, having finished the book, I can now say that this book is definitely worth your time. The book is perhaps best described as four personal accounts of Hell and how they relate to and influence one another. Be patient. The first half is necessary, but the second half is where it all falls apart.

Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? by Philip K. Dick
I purchased this at the same time as Requiem for a Dream. If you're at all interested in artificial intelligence from an ethical perspective, then this is a must-read. The pacing is quick and the overall length is fairly brief. More than worth your time.

Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoevsky
Now, I realize that this probably seems like some boring old tome advocated for by the old guard in the foreign literature department. However, allow me to reassure you that such is not the case. On the contrary, this is a classic that is anything but dated, providing a panoramic view of late 19th-century St. Petersburg and the lively, troubled individuals who inhabit it. In order to ensure the best experience, I'd advise shelling out the few extra dollars for an updated translation. The original Garnett translation from 1914 is looking a little long in the tooth.

Confessions of a Mask by Yukio Mishima
This is a very intimate look at the life of a homosexual young man trying to blend in with polite post-war Japan. His anguish is palpable throughout and the imagery, simple and poetic, is unforgettable.

The Master and Margarita by Mikhail Bulgakov
A classic Soviet satire continuously written and revised by a disturbed intellectual up until his death. In brief, Satan visits Soviet-era Moscow and takes the atheists for a ride. Need I say more? (In the event that you say yes, think: cats wielding pistols, the 4 horsemen of the apocalypse, vampires and yes, this was really written in 1940!)

As a side note, I'd like to again suggest a modern translation and, moreover, one that includes annotations, as this is really a novel that is best understood in light of the context amidst which it was written. I recommend the one by Diana Burgin and Katherine Tiernan O'Connor.

Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov
Despite the author's name and, indeed, his origin, this book was originally published in English in 1955 and has been the subject of much controversy ever since. But then, what does one expect from a novel written from the perspective of an emigre pedophile? Although the subject matter is heinous by most any standard, the real appeal is in the writing. Looking for near-perfect prose? Look no further. I've honestly never read a book that reads this eloquently (which is not to say that it doesn't feel a little much at times, but that's a criticism more easily directed at Nabokov's autobiography, Speak, Memory).

cryogeist

Apr 16, 2010
May i suggest the entire Redwall series?
yes all the characters are some type of woodland animal with each having some sort of funny accent but it's VERY well written

Vakz

Crafting Stars
Nov 22, 2010
Stoike said:
The Entire 'Wheel of Time' Series
While it's somewhat hard to determine what books you're after (the books in OP are very broad), but if you're into High Fantasy, Wheel of Time is a series that will probably change the way you look at books forever. Ever since I started reading them, my problem has been to find another book I like, because nothing is just ever good enough, once you've read them. It's like going on stage with your band made up of a few friends, of which only half can actually play any instruments, after Iron Maiden and Metallica just had a joint concert. No matter how well you try, well, it'll just never be good enough to compare what you just saw.

Fleischer

Jan 8, 2011
The Road by Cormac McCarthy is a beautiful, if horribly depressing, book. Keep a bottle of anti-depressants as you read this masterpiece.

Bluesman by Andre Dubus is a good read for someone your age.

DaysBefore

Dec 7, 2010
Red Storm Rising By Tom Clancy, perhaps the single best Cold War WWIII novel I have read to date.

Or, World War Z by Max Brooks, the best Zombie novel that has ever even been thought about.

Xaio30

Nov 24, 2010
I'm not suprised if someone already said it, but:
A Song of Ice and Fire

Dingo John

Mar 26, 2011
Conn Iggulden !! Best historical/biographic novels EVER !!

The "Emperor" series (4 fat books) is about Gaius Julius Caesar.

The "Conqueror" series (3/4 fat books) is about Ghenghis Khan.

Both of the series are extremely detailed, exciting, well-written and with a great amount of interesting angles if you are interested at all in history.

Personally I enjoyed the Conqueror series the most, but they are all fantastic. He is an incredible author IMHO.

The Becker

Jul 17, 2011
At the Mountains of Madness by H.P Lovecraft or any book by H.P Lovecraft he is my favorite author

Eggbert

Jun 9, 2010
I'm going to toss another vote for A Song of Ice And Fire (starts with Game of Thrones) if you're into dark, dark, dark fantasy. If happier, more comedic fantasy's your thing, another vote for Discworld (starts with Colour of Magic, but TvTropes is your friend for getting into this series). Jim Butcher's Dresden Files (starts with Storm Front) builds a consistent urban fantasy world, with wizard Harry Dresden regularly performing crowning moments of awesome. If you want more traditional fantasy with crowning moments of awesome, Butcher's Codex Alera (starts with Furies of Calderon) is finished, and pretty awesome. House of Leaves by Mark Z. Danielewski is meta, Lovecraftian, and spectacular, if you can stomach unusual formatting. Neil Gaiman's an excellent author with a style that flows, solid plots, and the occasional twist, so I'll recommend American Gods and Neverwhere. Gaiman collaborated with Terry Pratchett (the Discworld author), and produced Good Omens, which is worth a read just to see comedic writing and gloomy dark writing come together so smoothly. And cripes do I feel like a nerd now.