Recommend Me Some Good Books

Sammisaurus

Jun 10, 2011
CandideWolf said:
A book about WWII with humor seems challenging but Kurt Vonnegut pulled it off amazingly with
Slaughterhouse Five.
This. I loved Slaughterhouse Five. But my favorites are the Sherlock Holmes stories; the original ones, by Arthur Conan Doyle. There are other authors that use the characters, but I haven't read any of those yet. I also like the Lost World, by Doyle also.

danielns13

May 21, 2011
"Can I Keep my Jersey?" -Paul Shirley

It's an autobiography of the worst play to ever make to the NBA. Shirley is a VERY entertaining writer and I would highly recommend the book

sean360h

Jun 2, 2010
BlueRawen said:
I very much enjoy the "Ranger's Apprentice" series.
Also Artemis Fowl and Alex Rider series.
I used to read Alex rider I think in the last one I read he went into space but I lost
interest in that series after that thanks for the suggestions anyway

SentryGun

Mar 15, 2010
I would suggest either the Gaunt's Ghosts series, the Ciaphas Cain series or the Horus Heresy series

what, I dont like warhammer 40k _> *flees*

Red Albatross

Jun 11, 2009
Half Life, by Hal Clement (no relation to the Valve game).
Some of the Dean Koontz books, like False Memory and Velocity are pretty decent.
It's probably been said, but Frank Herbert's Dune is always worth a read, although it's entirely up to you if you want to get into the rest of the series, it's quite...strange.

darkstarangel

Jun 27, 2008
Anything from Neil Gaiman, that guy is a literary genius.

My personal favourites that I highly recomend are Neverwhere & American gods.

sean360h

Jun 2, 2010
Mrrrgggrlllrrrg said:
Метро 2033 (Metro 2033) by Dmitry Glukhovsky

It's a good book.
Oh thanks i just finished reading that the last day that's a great book the game did it no justice (i better add that to the list )

w00tage

Feb 8, 2010
Vakz said:
Stoike said:
The Entire 'Wheel of Time' Series
While it's somewhat hard to determine what books you're after (the books in OP are very broad), but if you're into High Fantasy, Wheel of Time is a series that will probably change the way you look at books forever. Ever since I started reading them, my problem has been to find another book I like, because nothing is just ever good enough, once you've read them. It's like going on stage with your band made up of a few friends, of which only half can actually play any instruments, after Iron Maiden and Metallica just had a joint concert. No matter how well you try, well, it'll just never be good enough to compare what you just saw.
I'll see your Wheel of Time series and raise you Barbara Hambly's Darwath Trilogy and Lois McMaster Bujold's Vorkosigan series.

TheUnseen666

Mar 29, 2010
The Spellsinger series by Alan Dean Foster.

Love these books, always end up reading them at least once a year.

sean360h

Jun 2, 2010
Link XL1 said:
band of brothers is good non-fiction

R A Salvatore's Legend of Drizzt series is a classic dnd fantasy thats still going today
Brent Weeks' Night Angel Trilogy is another good medieval fantasy
dragonlance series (only the ones by margret wies and tracy hickman though, dont bother with the others)
the Eragon books are also good

for science fiction stuff, the halo books are good (especially the ones by eric nylund)
Is band of brothers based off the TV show/Documentary because I love that
Also fail i forgot to mention some of the books I have I already finished all the halo books
looking for the gears of war books cant find them any where

spartan231490

Jan 14, 2010
Inheritance cycle Christopher Paolini
Fifth Ring trilogy Mitchel Graham
Sword of Truth series Terry Goodkind
Wheel of Time Series Robert Jordan
Atticus Kodiak series Greg Rucka
Kingkiller Chronicals trilogy I forget, I just read it recently and it isn't finished yet but it is really really well written

Zorak the Mantis

Oct 17, 2007
The Dies the Fire series by S.M. Sterling is fantastic. Also If you are into Star Wars, I recommend the Thrawn Trilogy by Tim Zahn, Xwing Series By Michael Stackpole and Aaron Allston, and I Jedi also by Stackpole.

SirDeadly

Feb 22, 2009
The Rangers Apprentice series

The Chronicles of Siala

The Night Angel Trilogy

The Black Prism

All of these are fantastic books to read.

Rule Britannia

Apr 20, 2011
The Recruit by Robert Muchamore
There's a whole series of this known as the CHERUB series and it's a really good read. It works like Harry Potter by that I the further into the series you get the older the characters get.

cleric of the order

Sep 13, 2010
Glen Cook's The Black Company series is good, so is darkwar, the case of charles dexter ward (if your looking for horror of the lovecraftain bend)

Gulleko

Mar 30, 2011
From the books you posted, I would recommend;
Any book by Raymond Khoury or David Gibbins (similar to Dan Brown).
Robyn Young's Brethren Trilogy.
I, Robot by Isaac Asimov

And since I just love their books, even if you wouldn't;
Clive Cussler's Dirk Pitt novels.
Anything by Clive Barker.
The Zombie Survival Guide by Max Brooks.

Thamian

Sep 3, 2008
If you're up for a bit of space opera, I very highly reccommend the Honor Harrington books by David Weber. First one in the series is 'On Basilisk Station'. And we so far have 12 in the main sequence, 2 in the Wages of Sin Sequence and 2 in the Saganami Island sequence. Oh and about 5 anthologies of short stories.

Yeah I may have just ripped through main sequence 11 and 12 in the last two days....