Recommend Me Some Good Books

Necator15

Jan 1, 2010
I cannot recommend The Magicians by Lev Grossman enough. It's a little bit like Harry Potter on the surface, but is significantly more mature. It's an excellent book. There's one scene that's a bit... Off... But other than that, go for it, you won't regret it.

CATB320

Jan 30, 2011
Starship Troopers by Robert Heinlein
It's nothing like the movie. It is about this kid, Juan "Johnnie" Rico who enlists in the Mobile Infantry and fights aliens; But I've always felt the book was about the ideals behind-the-scenes. (Man's "right" to live and conquer, ethics of war, citizenship and civic duty, etc.)
In short, it's a straightforwad action/adventure novel with a philosophical backdrop.

EDIT: Then again, that book is kind of controversial. Also from Heinlein, I'd recommend The Moon is a Harsh Mistress. It's about the revolution of citizens on the moon (Luna), led by an aging professor, a fiery female political agitator, a computer technician, and their BFF, "Mike" -- a childish supercomputer. It's fun and witty and full of freedom and sci fi.

derek.of.flummox

Feb 12, 2011
Vakz said:
Stoike said:
The Entire 'Wheel of Time' Series
While it's somewhat hard to determine what books you're after (the books in OP are very broad), but if you're into High Fantasy, Wheel of Time is a series that will probably change the way you look at books forever. Ever since I started reading them, my problem has been to find another book I like, because nothing is just ever good enough, once you've read them. It's like going on stage with your band made up of a few friends, of which only half can actually play any instruments, after Iron Maiden and Metallica just had a joint concert. No matter how well you try, well, it'll just never be good enough to compare what you just saw.
Additionally, as someone further up suggested, the Wheel of Time books by Robert Jordan and the Game of Thrones series by George R.R. Martin, the Chronicles of the Necromancer series by Gail Z. Martin, and The Malazan Book of the Fallen series by Steven Erickson (with side novels by Ian C. Esslemont) are fantastic fantasy books. (Although, I whole-heartedly recommend the Erickson/Esslemont books...I love the Wheel of Time series, but this one is substantially more epic in scope and character development. Just be warned that the very first book is a bit of a tough read.)

SilentCom

Mar 14, 2011
For a moment, I thought the topic was "recommend me some good bacon" =D

Guess you know what I was thinking about...

OT: I was going to recommend The DaVinci Code, having just finished it for a second time myself, but then I realized it was already on your list.

cleric of the order

Sep 13, 2010
SentryGun said:
I would suggest either the Gaunt's Ghosts series
dan adAbnett makes everything better and larkin is one of my favourite characters ever

and since we've one a warhammer sujestion it's now safe to sujest others
thank you sentry gun, here have some metal

anyway the malus darkblade series is one of my favourite, lord or the night, the angels of darkness and the slayer series great warhammer based novels

Booze Zombie

Dec 8, 2007
"A Classical Education" by caroline Taggart, it's a great way to make sure you know the basics about... well, classical education.

sean360h

Jun 2, 2010
this isnt my name said:
sean360h said:
Recent I looked at the amount of books I own (about 10-20) not including school related books so I was wondering if you escapists know any good books I should read
I have been reading
Animal Farm
The Chronicles of Narnia
The Da Vinci Code
Harry Potter ( used to be a big fan)
Metro 2033
The Halo Books

That's all I can think of right now
(EDIT)
Books I want to read
mogworld
The lord of the rings
mein kampf (English translation)
the rest of Dan Brown's books and George Orwell's books
How is Metro 2033 ?
I considered reading it, but was put off becuase apparently it was translated badly.
aside from them saying something that made no sense or really bad grammar the odd time I felt the book was a enjoyable read (the translation wasn't bad but it wasn't the greatest either) and I was worried to pick up the book after playing metro (the game) for a bit but it was really worth it
you should read it but try to ignore it when the translation doesn't make any sense

nekroskoma

Jun 2, 2011
Stranger in a Strange Land [http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/StrangerInAStrangeLand]

sean360h

Jun 2, 2010
CATB320 said:
Starship Troopers by Robert Heinlein
It's nothing like the movie. It is about this kid, Juan "Johnnie" Rico who enlists in the Mobile Infantry and fights aliens; But I've always felt the book was about the ideals behind-the-scenes. (Man's "right" to live and conquer, ethics of war, citizenship and civic duty, etc.)
In short, it's a straightforwad action/adventure novel with a philosophical backdrop.

EDIT: Then again, that book is kind of controversial. Also from Heinlein, I'd recommend The Moon is a Harsh Mistress. It's about the revolution of citizens on the moon (Luna), led by an aging professor, a fiery female political agitator, a computer technician, and their BFF, "Mike" -- a childish supercomputer. It's fun and witty and full of freedom and sci fi.
I never seen the movie and I try not to compare a book to a film anyway because the book is always better its just that it always looses something when a 1000 page book is condensed into a two hour movie

The Gatherer

Jul 7, 2011
The Jack Reacher series by Lee Child, anything by Simon Kernick, Filth by Irvine Welsh, The Holy Blood And The Holy Grail, The Assassins Creed series by Oliver Bowden, The Darkwing Omnibus by Alan Gibbons, Lamb by Christopher Moore, The Dexter series by Jeff Lindsey and anythig by Jeffrey Archer. All Classics and make for a stomping good read

Aerowaves

Sep 10, 2009
Don't read Mein Kampf. Horribly written, excruciatingly dull, and the romance scene lacks that intimate touch one looks for in such things.

Machiavelli's 'The Prince' is a more interesting politically-driven work. Carlo Ginzburg's 'The Cheese and the Worms' is a very good historical narrative focussed on a rather curious person.

Fiction-wise,

Sci-Fi:

Asimov's Foundation series, as well as I, Robot and his short stories.
Iain Banks' Culture novels (his more contemporary fiction is very good too).
Douglas Adams' Hitch-Hikers' trilogy of five (Colfer's sixth isn't actually that bad though).
Grant Naylor's Red Dwarf (even if you've watched the television show).
Philip Reeve's Mortal Engines series.

Fantasy:
David Gemmell's Drenai, Rigante and Troy series.
Terry Goodkind's Sword of Truth series.
George R.R. Martin's Song of Ice and Fire series.
Garth Nix's Abhorsen trilogy.
William Nicholson's Wind on Fire trilogy.

Some of these are a bit teeny but I enjoyed them immensely and highly recommend them. If you're looking for great literary (canonical) fiction, I tend to find them rather depressing (and, indeed, that seems to be their purpose for the most part) so I haven't included any.

Mrrrgggrlllrrrg

Jun 21, 2010
sean360h said:
Mrrrgggrlllrrrg said:
Метро 2033 (Metro 2033) by Dmitry Glukhovsky

It's a good book.
Oh thanks i just finished reading that the last day that's a great book the game did it no justice (i better add that to the list )
Well in that case then may I suggest some books based on the original.

Метро 2033 Ниже ада (Metro 2033 Hell Below) by Andrew Grebenshchikov

Метро 2033 Увидеть солнце (Metro 2033 See the Sun) by Sergei Moskvin

I rather like them but then again I like post-apocalyptic universes.

sean360h

Jun 2, 2010
this isnt my name said:
sean360h said:
this isnt my name said:
sean360h said:
Recent I looked at the amount of books I own (about 10-20) not including school related books so I was wondering if you escapists know any good books I should read
I have been reading
Animal Farm
The Chronicles of Narnia
The Da Vinci Code
Harry Potter ( used to be a big fan)
Metro 2033
The Halo Books

That's all I can think of right now
(EDIT)
Books I want to read
mogworld
The lord of the rings
mein kampf (English translation)
the rest of Dan Brown's books and George Orwell's books
How is Metro 2033 ?
I considered reading it, but was put off becuase apparently it was translated badly.
aside from them saying something that made no sense or really bad grammar the odd time I felt the book was a enjoyable read (the translation wasn't bad but it wasn't the greatest either) and I was worried to pick up the book after playing metro (the game) for a bit but it was really worth it
you should read it but try to ignore it when the translation doesn't make any sense
I played mero 2033 recently, its an amazing game. I especially liked ghosts/anomaly the only missions I enjoy where I didnt really use my gun much.
I know the ook differs at parts, like the ending. I know how the book ends and it sounds more emotional than the game. I was worried about the tanslation, someone described it as though it was dont on google translate. How bad is he translation ? Is its constant or just a few parts ?

Im taking a book back to the ibrary on the 23rd, will have to ask about Metro 2033 then, if I like it (I assume I will, I loved the game) I will look at metro 2034, you couldpick that up if you havent already.
its different from the game he only really killed like 4 people in the book
its alot better than the game because you can see what artom is thinking as apposed to the strong silent thing he has going on in the game and it portrays him as really just a kid stepping into the unknown also i didn't like the voice actor he had in the game so reading his lines was much better
It isn't all that bad its a good translation when you compare it to Google translate
I can't find a English version anywhere (metro 2034) i really want to read it

BodomBeachChild

Nov 12, 2009
For Whom the Bell Tolls is pretty good. All of Alan Folsoms books are really, really good. The two Witcher books in English are OK, the translations are just iffy at times. Vampire Hunter D is a great series

thelastone

Nov 4, 2010
The Unbearable Lightness Of Being by Milan Kundera (better upon the second read for me.)
The Mouse and His Child by Russel Hoban
Coraline by Neil Gaiman (MUCH better than the film.)
Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West by Gregory Maguire. (Also better on the second read.)