Recommend Me Some Good Horror - WITHOUT CHILDREN!

Realitycrash

Dec 12, 2010
I'm really, really, REALLY sick of horrormovies which use children as a cheap way of attempting to pull my heart-strings.
"Oh no, my child is possessed" - I don't care.
"Oh no, a ghost is communicating through my child/my child can see ghosts" - Please, stop.
"Oh no, the serial-killer/ghost is going after children, and now it is coming after mine!" - Please-oh-please-lord-mighty-will-you-stop?
"Oh no, we just moved into a new house, and the children are complaining about strange noises, but I don't believe them because they are just children" - Realistic, but overdone. No, please, no more.

And so on, and so forth. I'm not a parent, and I largely find children annoying. They also tend to be poor actors, and have to play cliched roles. So, can you help me out with some movies?
I think old Hill House/Rose Red was rather decent movies, and Cube did a nice job too, just to name some that worked without children.

(Also, no slashers. I don't consider them horror).

Pink Gregory

Jul 30, 2008
Are you more concerned about children, or rather the parent-child relationship being cheaply exploited?

beamofarael

Sep 29, 2013
Hmmm... The Audition(1999), Don't Look Now (1973), Vertigo (1958),and Old Boy (2003) just off the top of my head. Children appear on the screen in some of these, but aren't the focus. (Children tend to annoy me in horror flicks too!)

Jamieson 90

Mar 29, 2010
The Mist is a decent horror movie, the main character has a son but I wouldn't exactly say it's exploitative ... apart from the ending ... maybe ...

Realitycrash

Dec 12, 2010
Pink Gregory said:
Are you more concerned about children, or rather the parent-child relationship being cheaply exploited?
I'd say both, but then again, I know movies like "It" are good and they are basically about children (growing up).
So perhaps it is more the latter.

Marter

Elite Member
Legacy
Oct 27, 2009
Creep (2004) The Descent (2005) Daybreakers (2010) The Strangers (2008) Bug (2007), Eden Lake (2008) Martyrs (2008) Vacancy (2007).

Oh, and just because I think you should see it in spite of the children, I also vote for these two, one of which has a strong child actor in the lead, while the other should just be "fun" for you.

Orphan (2009) and The Children (2008)

Obviously you can ignore those if you really think you'll hate them. They're just suggestions. :)

Have fun.

Realitycrash

Dec 12, 2010
beamofarael said:
Hmmm... The Audition(1999), Don't Look Now (1973), Vertigo (1958),and Old Boy (2003) just off the top of my head. Children appear on the screen in some of these, but aren't the focus. (Children tend to annoy me in horror flicks too!)
Don't Look Now: "John and Laura Baxter are in Venice when they meet a pair of elderly sisters, one of whom claims to be psychic. She insists that she sees the spirit of the Baxters' daughter, who recently drowned. Laura is intrigued, but John resists the idea. He, however, seems to have his own psychic flashes, seeing their daughter walk the streets in her red cloak, as well as Laura and the sisters on a funeral gondola" IMDB.

..That's your idea of 'without children'? Having the movie revolve around the death of a child? And then see ghostly flahbacks?

beamofarael

Sep 29, 2013
Realitycrash said:
beamofarael said:
Don't Look Now: "John and Laura Baxter are in Venice when they meet a pair of elderly sisters, one of whom claims to be psychic. She insists that she sees the spirit of the Baxters' daughter, who recently drowned. Laura is intrigued, but John resists the idea. He, however, seems to have his own psychic flashes, seeing their daughter walk the streets in her red cloak, as well as Laura and the sisters on a funeral gondola" IMDB.

..That's your idea of 'without children'? Having the movie revolve around the death of a child? And then see ghostly flahbacks?
It's a weird one, the death of a child is the drive of the story, but is more so centered around the father's trauma. I'll just say it kind of tricks you into thinking that it would be all the things you hate. But eh, the choice is your's.

Oh, should have made a note that I hope you don't mind subtitles.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Some of the aforementioned movies are pretty good so here're my three cents.

1976 - The Tenant
1982 - The Thing
2001 - Session 9

Soundwave

Sep 2, 2012
There's a movie on netflix that was a kickstarter that was really good called "Absentia", it did technically have a child in it, in that one of the characters was a pregnant lady, but that wasn't the focus at all.

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
Realitycrash said:
I'm really, really, REALLY sick of horrormovies which use children as a cheap way of attempting to pull my heart-strings.
"Oh no, my child is possessed" - I don't care.
"Oh no, a ghost is communicating through my child/my child can see ghosts" - Please, stop.
"Oh no, the serial-killer/ghost is going after children, and now it is coming after mine!" - Please-oh-please-lord-mighty-will-you-stop?
"Oh no, we just moved into a new house, and the children are complaining about strange noises, but I don't believe them because they are just children" - Realistic, but overdone. No, please, no more.

And so on, and so forth. I'm not a parent, and I largely find children annoying. They also tend to be poor actors, and have to play cliched roles. So, can you help me out with some movies?
I think old Hill House/Rose Red was rather decent movies, and Cube did a nice job too, just to name some that worked without children.

(Also, no slashers. I don't consider them horror).
But...but... the greatest horror story of all time has nothing BUT children! Go read Lord of the Flies.

Anyway, The Thing is the clear winner hear. One of the best horror titles ever produced.

The Birds is a classic film, if you somehow haven't seen it yet.

The Shining is fantastic.

Clockwork Orange is horrifying.

Santas Slay may have been the greatest film of all time, it got snubbed at the Oscars.