Recommend me some Lovecraft?

Nudu

Jun 1, 2011
I thought Mountains of Madness was pretty good. I also liked A Shadow Over Innsmouth, Call of Cthulhu and Rats in the Wall. Personally I'm not an enormous Lovecraft fan, though. Guess I'm not that good at existential angst.

ANImaniac89

Apr 21, 2009
Just get this book:
http://www.amazon.com/Necronomicon-Weird-Tales-Lovecraft-Commemorative/dp/0575081570/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1325517541&sr=8-2

It has almost every story including the full Cthulhu mythos.

CATB320

Jan 30, 2011
I had a book of short stories by him (The Doom that Came to Sarnath), and I really liked The Walls of Eryx (guy trapped in an invisible maze on Venus, surprisingly eerie), and The Quest of Iranon.

Versuvius

Apr 30, 2008
At the Mountains of Madness is a must...The Reanimator is great too.

Anything in the Necronomicon collection

Engarde

Jul 24, 2010
Herbert West : Reanimator is my absolute favourite. I would have to recommend that if you are at all interested in lovecraft.

userwhoquitthesite

Jul 23, 2009
WhyBotherToTry said:
I'm looking to read some Lovecraft but I'm not really sure where to start. Are there any stories of his in particular that are better to read for getting into his work than others?
everyone else is wrong.

Start with Rats in the Walls.

Veldrenor

Jan 5, 2010
BreakfastMan said:
Generally, just stay away from his "Dream-cycle" (re: blatant rippoff of Dunsany) and his stuff that rips of Poe, and you should be good.
Considering that Lord Dunsany and E.A. Poe were two of Lovecraft's biggest heroes and influences, this advice amounts to "don't read Lovecraft."

OT: "The Rats in the Walls." Fairly short, but the language and pacing build a fantastic sense of impending doom. It was the only story of his that actually creeped me out.

d1rtbag

Dec 29, 2008
"The Dunwich Horror" is a great story as well, with an oppressive feeling of doom hanging over everything.

mwpher

Jul 1, 2011
Definitely the Mountains of Madness, for starters.

There's also the Case of Charles Dexter Ward (controversial, but a great book, not counting the unnecessary historical passages at the beginning. The story and plot twists make up for a lot), and I have a weakness for the Dream-Quest of Unknown Kadath (if you're interested in Lucid dreaming you'll like this. But keep in mind, the storyline plays second fiddle to fleshing out the land and culture of the dreamworld; it's kind of an acid trip in book form).

imnot

Apr 23, 2010
Mountains of madness is good, so is the colour out of space. I like Lovecraf thes pretty good, a little long winded though.

Necron_warrior

OPPORTUNISTIC ANARCHIST
Mar 30, 2011
8-Bit_Jack said:
WhyBotherToTry said:
I'm looking to read some Lovecraft but I'm not really sure where to start. Are there any stories of his in particular that are better to read for getting into his work than others?
everyone else is wrong.

Start with Rats in the Walls.
Veldrenor said:
BreakfastMan said:
Generally, just stay away from his "Dream-cycle" (re: blatant rippoff of Dunsany) and his stuff that rips of Poe, and you should be good.
Considering that Lord Dunsany and E.A. Poe were two of Lovecraft's biggest heroes and influences, this advice amounts to "don't read Lovecraft."

OT: "The Rats in the Walls." Fairly short, but the language and pacing build a fantastic sense of impending doom. It was the only story of his that actually creeped me out.
^These

I have the Necronomicon everyone's linking you to, and rats in the walls actually freaked me out. The ending...it just came out of nowhere for me.

Sangreal Gothcraft

Feb 28, 2011
hm... Rats in the wall, Call of Cthulu, Shadow over Innsmouth.... Oh screw it just get the Necromonicon! you really can't go wrong on it, Oh and the The Music of Erich Zann is pretty good as well.

Bassik

Jun 15, 2011
When you start with Lovecraft, it is important to know witch stories to start with. Some are just more easily accessible then others.
My advice: start with the Rats in the Walls, the Colour out of Space or the Music of Erich Zann, as many others also recommended. Just pick one, witch ever title you like most.

Rats in the Walls is about a man who returns to his ancestral home and finds a few skeletons in the closet. Near the end you will understand why this story is so great, and then it sucker punches you with a horrific ending.

The Colour out of Space is about a farmer and his family who are struck by a horrible plague after a meteor fell on their land. It sounds simple, but Lovecraft spends so much time setting the mood for the story, especially emphasising the weird and otherworldly nature of what is going on. This story will have your heart pounding from beginning to end, trust me.

The Music of Erich Zann is about a young man who takes a horrible crappy apartment in France, where he meets a mysterious musician who makes absolutely the weirdest and most beautiful music the protagonist ever heard. Again, this is story is about 90 percent atmosphere, and works wonderful. You won't be done with this story once you finish it, I can guarantee you that.

If you liked these stories and didn't find them too bookish or purple, you can basicly go anywhere.
Fan favourites like the Call of Cthulhu is still a very strong read, as is at the Mountains of Madness, although that is one of his more difficult ones.

An overlooked story that is a big favourite of mine is called the Thing on the Doorstep, quite frightening to me, and the ending disturbed me greatly.

Have fun (???) with Lovecraft, and let us know how it goes! :)