Recommend me some REALLY BAD games.

Austin93

Sep 17, 2012
Lizmichi said:
There's also the game LRR did a LP on. Can't remember the name right now. Oh it was Legaia 2
Speaking of games LRR did an LP of, there's one they played called Cursed Crusade for the PS3. Seemed pretty terrible. With checkpoints too far and few between and combat quickly becoming a massive slogfest, every death became almost tear inducing for me and I wasn't even playing it. Not only that, but it has one of the most disappointing endings I've ever seen

JET1971

Apr 7, 2011
Just spend a couple months only playing Steam Early Access games and do not read anything but the title before deciding to play them. You may run across a hidden gem that's worth $60 but I really really doubt it as in by the time you are done experimenting you will stick to re-runs of Gilligan's island as your only source of entertainment beyond watching your front lawn grow and how many times your drool dripped while watching the lawn.

scorptatious

The Resident Team ICO Fanboy
May 14, 2009
Ieyke said:
scorptatious said:
I want to learn to appreciate good games more, so, I figured that I should branch out and play through the worst gaming has to offer. Any ideas?

I'm thinking of getting Sonic 06 and trudging through that.

I have a PS3, Wii U, VITA, 3DS, and a laptop.

Ready set go.
I don't know if it would serve your purposes, but you COULD watch the 108 episodes of the Game Grumps battling their way through Sonic '06. See the mind-numbing terribadness while enjoying Arin and Jon slowly losing their minds.

Oh I have. In fact, I have played the game before, but I've only beaten Sonic's story.

Anyway, I like a lot of the suggestions. Gonna be tough to choose out of all of them. Thanks guys. :)

Sean Hollyman

Jun 24, 2011
Dragon Ball Z: Ultimate Tenkaichi
Two Worlds
Resident Evil: Operation Racoon City
Red Steel
Devil May Cry 2

Just a few, not sure if anyone's mentioned those.

ShinyCharizard

Oct 24, 2012
Jumper. The movie tie-in game. That game truly sucked. On the plus side though, it's good for earning easy achievement points.

Guitarmasterx7

Day Pig
Mar 16, 2009
Too bad you dont have a 360 or I'd recommend "too human." That game is like AIDS and Cancer had a baby and named it "The Holocaust II." I'm sure any given movie tie in game will be worse than most games that are... you know... first and foremost games. Anything on a nintendo console not made by nintendo generally won't be good. Red Steel for the wii is one thing that comes to mind as really fucking bad since that was the big launch title that had everyone psyched to use the wiimote as a sword or gun and set the stage for the ensuing disappointment that the wii as a whole would continue to bring.

Jazoni89

Dec 24, 2008
RelativityMan said:
Some older lousy games:

If your PS3 is backwards compatible I would suggest Eternal Ring for PS2, or Rascal for PS1. The latter I consider one of the worse for PS1, despite having played Bubsy 3D.

For computer there's Little Big Adventure (AKA Relentless: Twinsen's Adventure) and Inherit the Earth: Quest for the Orb.
Rascal!

Holy shit, that game is god awful, but it being a game that I used to play in my childhood, I have some really weird nostalgia for it though.

AnthrSolidSnake

Jun 2, 2011
Happiness Assassin said:
Big Rigs: Over the Road Racing is one of those legendarily bad titles. Like E.T. levels of bad. Probably worse than that. A more contemporary game I would go with is Infestation: Survivor Stories (aka War Z (aka a steaming pile of shit)). It is basically Day Z, but more shit in every possible way. Interestingly, Big Rigs and War Z were produced by the same person, Sergey Titov.
I don't find Infestation: Survivor Stories being that that bad anymore. At launch? Oh, absolutely. Today? Ehh...it's...passable. Just barely though. The game functions just fine, it's just...bland. Anything that is bad about the game doesn't even remotely compare with how bad that...other game was.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Well, I haven't bitched about Tomb Raider: The Angel of Darkness recently.

The absolute nadir of the series. It is layered with terrible controls, poor story, inane grimdark tone and stupid moments, like "increasing strength" by moving a large box so you can jump a bit further.

http://i.imgur.com/pJufP.gif

It is the gaming equivalent of this gif.

GamemasterAnthony

Dec 5, 2010
I'd say anything by Phoenix Games would work, TC, if what Caddicarus said about Dalmations 3 was right. (And he was!)

See for yourself [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKZQb-jH-7A]

TheSYLOH

Feb 5, 2010
If you want a taste of bad gaming through history.
Play Duke Nukem Forever.

It will teach you the value of both modern an old school gameplay techniques, by completely fucking both of them up.

For example the non-lethal mine field type puzzle. In an old school game, you have to trade bullets for health.
With regenerating health you can just wait.
Your bullets are finite and valuable since you only have two weapons now.

End result you spend minutes sitting around like a putz watching a red screen.

From this you learn the calculus of a puzzle in a shooter, what situations a regenerating health system is less useful for, and that Gear Box are a bunch of ass holes who cannot make games that don't have the words Borderlands in them.

CyberSinner

Apr 21, 2014
Dexterity said:
CyberSinner said:
Overlord 2

This game is frustrating in a much different way. If you're like me and played the original Overlord, Overlord 2 keeps the same mechancis. The minions are great, the gameplay is great, the additions and upgrades are great, music is great. Overlord 2 polishes everything about Overlord 1 when it comes to game play and its mechanic.

Where it fails is the god awful story. It is so hard to get into this game. Right when you're having fun a horribly bad cutscene appears and ruins any fun you had with the game
You realize that immediately before saying the game sucks, you said that the game is great.

A bad story doesn't make a bad game. The stories of overlord and overlord 2 are intended to be cheesy "fantasy overlord" total domination plots. Overlord and Overlord 2 are great games and really fun. The different mechanics, strategies and puzzles the game throws at you are all really good with a fair amount of challenge.

Games with good gameplay are not bad games. Games are allowed bad stories so long as they gameplay is fun, however, it's not allowed the other way around.
The Gameplay is Good

The Story is Bad

Thus it is a Bad game. I cannot even finish the game because of the story. I returned L.A Noire because of its story. Story is just as important.

broadbandmink

Apr 28, 2014
I tend to stay away from games that are generally considered to be broken or have a bad reputation, but Hopkins FBI is typically listed as one of the worst examples of the graphic adventure genre.

CyberSinner

Apr 21, 2014
Dexterity said:
CyberSinner said:
The Gameplay is Good

The Story is Bad

Thus it is a Bad game. I cannot even finish the game because of the story. I returned L.A Noire because of its story. Story is just as important.
Then simply get out of gaming and pick up books and movies. Games aren't meant for stories, unless you're playing niche interactive story games, like Heavy Rain or The Walking Dead.

Games with bad gameplay and okay-good stories don't pass in the gaming society as good. Look at Neverdead or Final Fantasy 13. They're bad games through and through. Their only redeeming factors are looking at a few cut scenes now and again, but that's not enough to save them from being absolutely mind numbingly shit.

However, games with GOOD gameplay and bad stories are the foundation of game design. Games with no stories have been the pioneers of game development and most genres exist because of them. The reason those games are so great is because the developers focused on gameplay with little regards for story.

Saying that story is as important in a game as gameplay is a toxic opinion that eventually leads to the degradation of game quality, so if you don't like games, then don't play games. Don't try and pick out certain titles simply for BEING games and tell others they're bad.
I absolutely disagree. Look at Bioshock the first one not Infinite cause I don't care much for Infinite. Bioshock the first game had Good Gameplay, but it also had a Good Story. There was no low quality in the first Bioshock game, it balanced good story and good gameplay out very well.

I come from a RPG background, and to say that games without story is the basic build of a video game is wrong. RPGs aren't really RPGs without a story.

I play for story. Halo the first and second game, good story, good gameplay. I play for both. And I will look for both as a quality.

God of War good gameplay and good story. No lack of quality in the game.

So if a game has a bad story, and good gameplay then its still a bad game.

CyberSinner

Apr 21, 2014
Dexterity said:
CyberSinner said:
I absolutely disagree. Look at Bioshock the first one not Infinite cause I don't care much for Infinite. Bioshock the first game had Good Gameplay, but it also had a Good Story. There was no low quality in the first Bioshock game, it balanced good story and good gameplay out very well.

I come from a RPG background, and to say that games without story is the basic build of a video game is wrong. RPGs aren't really RPGs without a story.

I play for story. Halo the first and second game, good story, good gameplay. I play for both. And I will look for both as a quality.

God of War good gameplay and good story. No lack of quality in the game.

So if a game has a bad story, and good gameplay then its still a bad game.
Do you even read your own counter arguments? The reason you like all of those games are because they all have good gameplay. You even said yourself that the gameplay is fun. If the games all played like shit, you would hate them.

Also, games without story ARE the foundations of videogames. That's not an opinion, it's a very well known fact that is proven by a 5 second search on the internet. Games like Pong, Asteroids, Super Mario, Doom and Zelda (NES) all pretty much pioneered their respective genres.

There are point and click games, or text based adventures, but those games inspired the niche genre of point and click/interactive adventure games. See the difference? These paved the way for one genre, but the storyless games set the way for MOST games.
My counter argument is Story and Good Gameplay is what makes a game good.

The reason why I liked Bioshock. Was not just because of the gameplay. It was because of the story. To this day is how you do a story in a FPS. An unexpected plot twist "Would you kindly" Something I hadn't even conceived or thought of. The story was unique, dark, and was rich with something I hadn't seen to this day. The gameplay was fun, but I remember the game because of the story.

The reason why I liked Halo. Was not just because of the gameplay. Again another game who went with an innovative story for its time. Especially in Halo 2. What I liked the most about Halo 2 was a game that finally took an FPS and went with the Alien's perspective, the aliens side of the story. That is unique.

Your argument was that if developers focused on better story in their games, that the quality of the games would be lowered. My counter argument was that there are games out there that balance story and gameplay.

There is a game I like, its called Jericho. A lot of people hate it because they said the game mechanics were clunky and crappy. I liked Jericho because once again it took the FPS genre into a unique genre. And it was a unique, interesting story, and take on the horror survival genre. Which is dead in the water.

The reason why I like F.E.A.R. is because of the story that haunts you throughout the game.

Good Story and Good Gameplay make a good game

Good Story and Bad Gameplay is a decent game [cause I liked Jericho and apparently it had bad gameplay]

Bad Story and Good Gameplay is a bad game

Bad Story and Bad Gameplay is a bad game

Pink Gregory

Jul 30, 2008
Wii port of Alone in the Dark.

...not much I can say about it, apart from it being the Wii port of the underwhelming Alone in the Dark.

Gesturing with the wiimote to open your big flasher's mac and thus access your inventory is a highlight. As are the sub N64 textures.