Recommend me something to read

Vakz

Crafting Stars
Nov 22, 2010
As the subject suggest, I'm looking for something new to read. I read mostly High Fantasy, and preferably very lengthy series. I just finished Wheel of Time (and loved it, probably the best series I have ever read, waiting with much anticipation for the last book). I have also read Sword of Truth, which I liked very much (though I feel the last books, especially Naked Empire got a bit too much ideological monologue going on there). Other stuff I liked very much was The Black Magician-trilogy and Age of the Five-trilogy by Trudi Canavan.

I'm currently reading Gardens of the Moon, first part of Malazan Book of the Fallen, but not liking it very much as of yet (though admittedly I'm not very far in yet, I suppose it might get better).

If anyone has anything to recommend along the books above, I'd really appriciate it. The only real requirement I have except for that above is that it's a series (not a single book, and preferably at least a trilogy or longer), and that the series is finished, or at least will be finished within 2011. I don't really feel like reading half a series, then wait a decade for it to be completed (or worst case scenario; writer suddenly dying and series never being finished).

triggrhappy94

Apr 24, 2010
Well Im trying to write a book. If you like Oblivion and Dungeons and Dragons, then its pretty much just more of that

Vern5

Mar 3, 2011
sheic99 said:
Sorry can't help you out, I loathe high fantasy.
I second that emotion. High fantasy sucks.

OT: you should take this opportunity to branch out into other fields of fiction.

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
Go old school and read some Jules Vern. Advantage is, I think theres several works on Project Gutenberg now. So free reading material!

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Vakz said:
As the subject suggest, I'm looking for something new to read. I read mostly High Fantasy, and preferably very lengthy series. I just finished Wheel of Time (and loved it, probably the best series I have ever read, waiting with much anticipation for the last book). I have also read Sword of Truth, which I liked very much (though I feel the last books, especially Naked Empire got a bit too much ideological monologue going on there). Other stuff I liked very much was The Black Magician-trilogy and Age of the Five-trilogy by Trudi Canavan.

I'm currently reading Gardens of the Moon, first part of Malazan Book of the Fallen, but not liking it very much as of yet (though admittedly I'm not very far in yet, I suppose it might get better).

If anyone has anything to recommend along the books above, I'd really appriciate it. The only real requirement I have except for that above is that it's a series (not a single book, and preferably at least a trilogy or longer), and that the series is finished, or at least will be finished within 2011. I don't really feel like reading half a series, then wait a decade for it to be completed (or worst case scenario; writer suddenly dying and series never being finished).
its not exactally high fantasy but have you heard of the book "Clan of the cave bear"? is the first in what I think its called the "earths children series"

is basically set in prehistory and starts with a young human girl being adopted by neanderthals, theres alot of reasearch into it and it does also use alot of artistic licence

its a pretty good series and very readable, though I will admit things get a little rediculous on the later books in still a fun read

the series has...5 books and I think your in luck as the 6th and last one (I think?) came out somtimes this year...considering the first book was 1981....yeah (I think anyway)

gideonkain

Nov 12, 2010
The Dark Tower series by Stephan King, its about a....jeez, how to put this, a "gunslinger" in a "Post Apocalyptic" world which exists side-by-side with our own, and theres bleed through.

Vakz

Crafting Stars
Nov 22, 2010
triggrhappy94 said:
Well Im trying to write a book. If you like Oblivion and Dungeons and Dragons, then its pretty much just more of that
Really? How far have you gotten?

Jessta

Feb 8, 2011
I would suggest the dragon lance series, or song of ice and fire series (not exactly high fantasy but still close and pretty good) Oh and I can confirm rangers apprentice is indeed good, if you want something a little more high fantasy than that then the works of tamora pierce are pretty much the same thing but a little more high fantasy. I suggest starting with song of the lioness since that IS the start of the series as a whole.

Off topic: Why on earth would you bother to post here if all your going to say is that you have nothing to say >_> I mean more people said they have nothing to say than people had things to say..

Off off topic, if anyone knows any good steam punk boos could you send me a message? I've never read one but now that I think about it that kind of universe sounds rather appealing.

Boxytheboxed

Jun 11, 2010
gideonkain said:
The Dark Tower series by Stephan King, its about a....jeez, how to put this, a "gunslinger" in a "Post Apocalyptic" world which exists side-by-side with our own, and theres bleed through.
The Dark tower is holy-fucking-jesus amazing. Another series would be the Incarnations of Immortality. The premise is that there all these dimi-gods (death, time, war) who were once real people, and its about how people deal with their new station in life; and what the implications of being a god are. Its by Piers Anthony, and has 8 books each of moderate length

SckizoBoy

Ineptly Chaotic
Legacy
Jan 6, 2011
A Hermit's Cave
triggrhappy94 said:
Heh, I'm trying to write three simultaneously (dystopic sci-fi/historic fiction/'dark' fantasy). *hrk*

OT: How about the Valisar/Percheron Trilogies, the Quickening Trilogy... uh, that's a lot of Fiona McIntosh...

Robin Hobb's three Trilogies in the Duchies world is pretty good too, but long and kinda soul-destroying...

Layz92

May 4, 2009
Something by Margaret Weis. Soulforge and the twins trilogy is pretty good. Deathgate Cycle by Weis is pretty good ("high fantasy" isn't as much to my taste so I didn't end up finishing that series). I am more of a Raymond E Feist, David Eddings type person.

Edit: The Lyoness Trilogy even though it isn't to my taste is alright.

Edit 2: As 2 previous people said, Dark Tower series is pretty great.

Chaos-Spider

Dec 18, 2009
Benjamin Grant said:
well i am not sure this applies but the Night Angel series is a wonderful story. I would recommend that.
This, it's really good.

Also the artifacts cycle of Magic: the gathering novels because it fits your preference for high fantasy and was originally released as six books and can now be bought as two for increased shelf space efficiency.

Also, if you would like to branch into paranormal romance I can recommend the Anita Blake chronicles (I think that's their collective name), as it has sex, vampires, zombies, various types of were-animals, sex, guns violence and more vivid, kinky sex.

I can also reccomend the fallen "saga" simply to spread the misery of this slightly improved twilight clone. Or I don't know, you might like it.

Kilyle

Jan 31, 2011
The Deed of Paksenarrion, by Elizabeth Moon. It's a trilogy bound up in one volume, though you can of course get the volumes separately if you like.

Basically, Moon took a look at people playing the Paladin class all wrong, and said "Let me write a Paladin correctly." And then took us down the dark, dark road of everything that shapes this girl, this daughter of a sheepherder, as she becomes a soldier and then a paladin candidate, a prisoner of darkness, a runaway, a traumatized mental patient, a recovering hero, a hero all over again, a sleuth, a martyr, and finally a shining beacon of light and hope in the midst of utter despair.

There is very graphic torture, but it is not, in my opinion, gratuitous; it is necessary to what she becomes.

I recommend the series if you're after fantasy that's clearly not for kids, and I keep returning to it myself. I intend to buy it eventually; it's worth it.

M Rotter

Dec 18, 2010
Jessta said:
I would suggest the dragon lance series, or song of ice and fire series (not exactly high fantasy but still close and pretty good) Oh and I can confirm rangers apprentice is indeed good, if you want something a little more high fantasy than that then the works of tamora pierce are pretty much the same thing but a little more high fantasy. I suggest starting with song of the lioness since that IS the start of the series as a whole.

Off topic: Why on earth would you bother to post here if all your going to say is that you have nothing to say >_> I mean more people said they have nothing to say than people had things to say..

Off off topic, if anyone knows any good steam punk boos could you send me a message? I've never read one but now that I think about it that kind of universe sounds rather appealing.
i love tamora pierce...i actually got to meet her and she signed five of my books...ah nostalgia.

While this might be useless to you since its not high fantasy, its classic and extremely good: Ender's game and especially the sequels, and after that the Ender's shadow series. All very good and should keep you busy. Redwall and the following books (note: to anyone who has read them, im not going to argue about Mossflower being the first) also, if you like fantasy starring rodents (if you dont well...you'll probably still have an enriched life :) )

Edit: sometimes i forget because its so obvious to me (im a LOTR fangirl and come from a long line of them) but yeah...Tolkien...read him...be engrossed. Also fun fact, Tolkien's brother...same name as me. Coincidence MOM?! o_O (yes. mine's spelled differently). Phillip Pullman is really good, theres the Dark Materials trilogy (Golden Compass, Subtle Knife, Amber Spyglass). Garth Nix is also one of my favorites (Sabriel, Lirael, Abhorsen).