Recommend My Dad an Anime

Julius Terrell

Feb 27, 2013
I'm watching Attack on Titan right now. This show fucking rocks! It has a great plot and it's pretty gory! Not for the feint of heart!

Aerosteam

Get out while you still can
Sep 22, 2011
DuctTapeJedi said:
He pretty much likes anything in the way of Science Fiction or Fantasy.
For sci-fi I recommend Steins;Gate. It's god damn brilliant, I believe you can watch all the episodes on YouTube (sub or dub, doesn't matter, both are great). The show revolves around time travel, but not like Doctor Who where they pick a specific time or place and have the "alien of the week". I won't spoil too much but let's just say if the show had a tagline it would be "Don't fuck with the past".

persephone

Poisoned by Pomegranates
May 2, 2012
Princess Tutu. No, really -- the name is utterly retarded, but doesn't reflect the quality of the anime *at all*. I'd say it's easily one of the best anime I've ever seen. It's intelligent, moving, well-written, and never NSFW or even slightly slutty. It's more like stepping into the world of Brothers Grimm than into what you'd expect from an anime about a magical girl called Princess Tutu. And it's really, really awesome. At the very least, anyone who wants to experience anime should give Princess Tutu a try.

Timedraven 117

Jan 5, 2011
Haven't seen it so I'll say Soul Eater. Pretty good 50 episode anime and it s on Netflix too!
Some I'll reiterate are Full Metal Alchemist and Trigun. Definitely Trigun and its side-qual movie Trigun: Badlands. All are on Netflix.

Finally for something special try Regios.

Eggsnham

Apr 29, 2009
inb4 Boku no Pico

On a serious note, Neon Genesis Evangelion+The End of Evangelion in lieu of the last two episodes is always a solid recommendation.

Samurai Champloo is a good choice and, if you have the patience to sit through the unnecessary middle arc in the show, Deathnote can be a fun ride too. Eden of the East is also pretty interesting.

Piorn

Dec 26, 2007
mindfaQ said:
Sean Hollyman said:
Gurren Lagann. The manliest manly show in all of anime.
More like one of the most childish, repetitive, simple ones.
Sounds pretty manly to me!
Sometimes you don't need depth, you just need to kick Cthulu in the face.

Shanahanapp

Apr 8, 2013
I'd say Death Note would be a good choice. It's the only anime I've watched with my parents. Really really interesting and it shouldn't really be uncomfortable to watch with him.

You could try a Gundam series as well if he's into that. I'd recommend a specific one but everyone seems to have their own opinions on which ones are good and which aren't so just go for whichever one interests you.

Hochmeister

Jun 2, 2011
I'd suggest you stick to older shows (pre-2005ish) as they tend to have far less awkward fanservice. As mentioned above Jojo or any of the Mobile Suit Gundam series would be good, but I'd also strongly recommend the Space Battleship Yamato 2199 remake (it's kinda a cross between Star Trek, Star Wars, and Battlestar Galactica) and Legend of the Galactic Heroes.

Hope this helps!