Recommend some good books

Aggy213

Sep 22, 2012
All the books I've read lately have been "okay". I need something good to read!

Although I just finished the "I am number 4" series (well the ones that are available) and so far they are pretty good.

For me good is pretty much anything I've fallen in love with books of all different genres.

most of the books I've been ready are fantasy and I havn't really found any great fantasy series since i read Terry Goodkinds Sword of Truth.I realize not many people like that series, and truth be told,i think i may only like it and defend it as i do because its the first fantasy series I had ever read and fallen in love with.

Anyways haha Any genre any author. Not so much romance but I'd give it a try.

Smolderin

Feb 5, 2012
Aggy213 said:

Although I just finished the "I am number 4" series (well the ones that are available) and so far they are pretty good.
Be more specific. What do you WANT to read? Genre speaking.

eimatshya

Nov 20, 2011
Er, as Smolderin pointed out, you haven't really given us much to work with. The last book I finished was Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson, which I enjoyed quite a bit. It came out 20 years ago, so its depiction of the early 2000s is kind of funny from a contemporary viewpoint, but it was still a good read, one that I'd recommend if you like cyberpunk and are good at suspending your disbelief.

Cheery Lunatic

Aug 18, 2009
The Name of the Wind (and its sequel)
The Way of Kings
The Gods of Gotham

The top two are epic fantasy, the bottom is a historical mystery.

klown

Jun 6, 2012
Well, I really liked the first few books by James Rollins (Sandstorm, Deep Fathom, Alter of Eden, Map of Bones, and Black Order are all I have read so far, they all were really good.) Flesh and Blood by Graham Masterton was really good. Siddhartha by Hermen Hesse is a great book. Mogworld by Yahtzee was really funny, and surprisingly well written. Jam so far isn't as great, but still on the good side. Game OF Thrones is good so far, I suspect it'll stay that way.

That's a pretty good list so far, pretty varied, so you should find something you like.

DoPo

"You're not cleared for that."
Jan 30, 2012
The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy - if you haven't read it. General comedy intermixed with sci-fi. Or something.

The Discworld series. General comedy intermixed with fantasy.

Mogworld. Really reminds me of the above two but with more Yahtzee in it, too. (Jam is sitting right next to my head t the moment, I'll be picking it up shortly).

The Dresden Files series. A wizard in modern day Chicago is kicking ass and taking names. Without taking the names. (I also have Cold Days here next to me).

John Dies at the End. Oops, spoiler. Horror+comedy. The two are distinct yet present. Written by David Wong - that [http://www.cracked.com/blog/author/David+Wong/] David Wong.

House of Leaves. Horror. Lots of horror.

NightmareWarden

Jul 2, 2011
Chaos Walking trilogy (starts with The Knife of Never Letting Go)
Xanth series if you want a new perspective on magic
Incarnations of Immortality series
Hatchet series (wilderness and survival stuff)
Left Behind series if you are looking for something Christian (vague, but I'm tired)
OH, and the Leviathan series by Scott Westerfeld if you want a steampunk crossed with historical fiction.

Launcelot111

Jan 19, 2012
A Visit from the Goon Squad- semi-postmodern, funny, and surprisingly moving story about a random assortment of music industry types
Red Harvest- A man finds a corrupt town and singlehandedly overturns the criminal empire in place. So many badass movies are based off this book.
Freakonomics- because why not

Erja_Perttu

May 6, 2009
DoPo said:
The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy - if you haven't read it. General comedy intermixed with sci-fi. Or something.

Mogworld. Really reminds me of the above two but with more Yahtzee in it, too. (Jam is sitting right next to my head t the moment, I'll be picking it up shortly).

The Dresden Files series. A wizard in modern day Chicago is kicking ass and taking names. Without taking the names. (I also have Cold Days here next to me).

John Dies at the End. Oops, spoiler. Horror+comedy. The two are distinct yet present. Written by David Wong - that [http://www.cracked.com/blog/author/David+Wong/] David Wong.

I second all these, but especially John Dies at the End. Marvelous stuff, it's spoiled the rest of the horror comedy genre for me.

I recently ended up rereading The Great Gatsby too. I tell you, reading it outside of an educational setting makes it way better.

SckizoBoy

Ineptly Chaotic
Legacy
Jan 6, 2011
A Hermit's Cave
Aggy213 said:
Um... define 'good'...

My definition of 'good' with respect to books may not be the same as yours... or anyone else's for that matter. Genre? Author? Style? etc. etc.

*shrug*

Dethenger

Jul 27, 2011
Have you tried Brandon Sanderson? I would have finished The Way of Kings if I had the time, and it's still pretty prominent on my backlist, and his standalone book Warbreaker is one of my favourites. He has an interesting take on fantasy and magic, really unique compared to others. Strongly recommended.

mParadox

Susurration
Sep 19, 2010
Country
Germany
The Song of Ice and Fire by George R.R Martin
The Fault in Our Stars by John Green
Fevre Dream by Geroge R.R Martin
Casual Vacancy by J.K Rowling
Lord of the Rings by J.R.R Tolkien

YOU'RE WELCOME. This should keep you busty for a while. >,>

CrazyJew

Sep 18, 2011
Ctrl+F
No Discworld series, no Good Omens, no Hitchhiker's Guide.

Good Omens. Trust me, you will want to keep that book in a golden case lined with red velvet.

CrazyGirl17

I am a banana!
Sep 11, 2009
Probably something like Discworld or Mogworld if you like fantasy with a twist.

If you like superheroes, then I'd recommend either the Wild Cards series or "I Will be Invincible".

iwinatlife

Aug 21, 2008
Eisenhorn trilogy,Gaunts Ghosts, Titanicus, Horus Heresy (warhammer 40k books)
Wheel Of Time! Night angel Trilogy! Lightbringer series! A Song of Ice and Fire! (epic fantasy)

Quicksilver_Phoenix

Apr 14, 2009
The Old Kingdom trilogy (Sabriel, Lirael and Abhorsen), by Garth Nix. A really well written, interesting fantasy series with some great ideas.

Aeriath

Sep 10, 2009
DoPo said:

You have excellent taste.

In addition to that list I'd recommend This Book is Full of Spiders (a sequel to John Dies at the End) and anything by Neil Gaiman.