Recommend some mystery games

Darknacht

May 13, 2009
http://www.gog.com/en/catalogue#all_genres/search/detective-mystery/

This^^. GOG has plenty of mystery games.

JesterRaiin

Apr 14, 2009
I'll risk of being called stupid, but f*ck it.

Some time ago my wife wanted to play some simple games on her netbook.
I've downloaded a few demos of HOG games.
After watching how she plays, all can i say is... They are fun, addictive and they feature more atmosphere than some critically acclaimed massive titles out there.

Ravenhearst
Ravenhearst 2
Drawn : painted tower

Some scenes...
Well, judge for yourself.

http://www.doublegames.pl/images/screenshots/mystery-case-files-return-to-ravenhearst_3_big.jpg

And yes, some puzzles are really stupid, but so are those featured in the best games that adventure genre can offer.

Phoenixmgs_v1legacy

Muse of Fate
Sep 1, 2010
kabooz18 said:
Phoenixmgs said:
The only one I can think of is Shadow of Destiny, you have to solve how you died each chapter. You go back and forth in time as well. It's on PS3, PSP, and PC.
"Shadow of Memories" is the title for the rest of the world also it's on PS2 not PS3
and there is an XboX version IIRC, also the game is great with multiple endings a real mystery as who the killer is and why he kills as mystery games go it's one of the best^^
I remember really loving the game, but I played way back when it originally came out so I don't remember that much about it. I meant to say PS2, I'm just so used of typing PS3 now. I'll edit that.

Kodlak

Feb 5, 2009
If you want some old point and click games, you can get Lure of the Temptress and Beneath a Steel Sky amongst a couple others. These should definitely work on your laptop and they are free!! These are on GOG if you want them.

To be honest, can't think of any decent mystery games that have been released in recent years. The best I have found are the Alice Is Dead series, which are browser games and fairly short.

AnotherAvatar

Sep 18, 2011
Get Deadly Premonition, it's pretty much based on the best Mystery series of the '90s (Twin Peaks... oh my god what a show!!!), and it's got an insane wacky factor, it will both creep you out, make you laugh, and get you intrigued. I dig it so much I imported a Japanese copy for my PS3 after seeing my friend play it on his 360.

Also if you ever find a cheap PS2 pick it up, and then get your hands on Shadow of Memories/Shadow of Destiny. That game is probably my favorite mystery game and I'd wager it's exactly what you're looking for. You get killed, but then are offered a chance to travel through time to stop your murder and uncover it's age old source...

Also might I recommend emulating SNES on your laptop, it should be able to handle it easy and you can even hook up a 360 wired controller (or get the wireless adapter) to it and use it. As a big fan of mysteries in all forms all my life I actually found a lot of the better JRPGs on that system to use mystery plots, games like Chrono Trigger and it's sequel Chrono Cross are massive mysteries that you spend most of the game uncovering the answer to, while gaining more questions in the process until all the loose ends are tied neatly at the end (if you do all the side missions, which how could you not?!), and I can easily say the same about Earthbound, also that system had horror mystery games like Clock Tower.

Heavy Rain on PS3 is a great mystery game naturally, and then there's of course Rockstar with the obvious L.A. Noire, and the less obvious every other sandbox game they've made (because in every GTA, and in Red Dead Redemption a key part of the plot is unraveling the mysteries behind certain events. From who leads the crime in Los Santos to Niko's past to John Marsden's motivation and the truth behind it). Oh, and while I'm on Rockstar, the Max Payne series are Noir shooters, so yeah, a bit of a mystery, though a bit less subtle and a bit more pulpy.

I do wish someone would just make that natural leap and make a private eye game... L.A. Noire was so close, and it even has the exact formula right there, now if they just made the world a bit more open and stealthy with the ability to find random side missions in a number of places in addition to the main story which just waltzes into your office in a skimpy dress with a pout... It would be so good!!

OH! DEUS EX! Play the original and the new one. They're like the corporate future version of what I was just talking about. XD

AnotherAvatar

Sep 18, 2011
York_Beckett said:
Shadow of Memories. It'll mess with your mind, that's for sure. It's a little bit old, and it should run on most computers

Another one I enjoyed was Midnight Nowhere, a basic point-and-click for the PC. While some of the translations are pretty awful, it's definitely worth checking out for the mystery alone. A little newer, might not run on slightly older computers.

Also, while not fully within the genre, I'd recommend Deadly Premonition for the 360. While the combat is a bit "unsteady", the story and exploration constantly leaves you wanting more. It's worth playing for that alone.

Gray Matter for PC and Xbox 360. The controls aren't the best, and some of the puzzles are a little bit easy, but that's not why you play it, right? It's for the story. Definitely check this one out if that's your thing.

Pathologic for the PC; while it does contain some gunplay and hand-to-hand combat, it's mainly a very bizarre mystery/adventure game set in a highly original world. A little bit dated in terms of graphics and with some truly awful translations (there is a patch for that), it's a solid game. That being said, I'm not sure it would run on your computer or not.

Last one; Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth for PC and Xbox (it should work on the 360.) The storyline is full of mystery and intrigue, and even though the gameplay is mostly made up of stealth and FPS-combat, it never seems to break the flow of the game. It works well together, and should not be missed. It does have a lot of technical issues on both PC and Xbox, but it's nothing that'll completely ruin the game (it didn't for me anyway.)
I like you're taste, and haven't heard of some of these, so I'd wager I just found some new favorite games. Thanks!

Stilllove

Jan 17, 2012
NO ONE HAS SUGGESTED 999 for the DS?! GOGOGO BEST GAME EVER.

here is a review http://www.destructoid.com/review-nine-hours-nine-persons-nine-doors-187838.phtml

I MADE AN ACCOUNT JUST TO SAY THIS - YOU WILL NOT BE DISSAPOINTED

Behazard

Oct 12, 2011
Stilllove said:
NO ONE HAS SUGGESTED 999 for the DS?! GOGOGO BEST GAME EVER.

here is a review http://www.destructoid.com/review-nine-hours-nine-persons-nine-doors-187838.phtml

I MADE AN ACCOUNT JUST TO SAY THIS - YOU WILL NOT BE DISSAPOINTED
Just read the review you provided, and got to say, this sounds interesting..
Multiple endings, replay value and a good story..

Will pick this up once it hits a sale =)

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney... Vhat are you vaiting for?! Go nao!

Also Persona 4 is the best mystery game ever (also the best game ever full stop but let's not get into that) it's the only game i've seen that actively trys to stop you from solving the mystery.

Ordinaryundone said:
L.A. Noire, maybe? Or Phoenix Wright. The latter isn't much of a "mystery game" however.
Objecti- *ahem* sorry, inbuilt response.

At the risk of sounding like a complete twat, I think you misspelled "former." The second half of LA Noire is fucking dire, I actually thought there was some sort of arty "50's women get no screen time or characterisation cuz of sexism" thing going on but no... Just sudden terrible writing.

Yes i'm in a pretentious mood today what of it? XD

Constable Narwhal

Oct 17, 2008
Hmm, Mystery? Well, I would personally suggest Amnesia for the PC. I swear I've had more fun with that game than anything else this year.