Recommendations: Anime to Avoid

Manji187

Jan 29, 2009
Aside from those that are objectively...as in unarguably crap...like Garzey's Wing (apparently, haven't seen it myself...but I take Spoony's word for it) the rest just comes down to taste/ preference....i.e. opinion.

I personally didn't like Tenjou Tenge...but I'm sure someone else prolly did.

omegawyrm

Nov 23, 2009
[Kira Must Die said:
]Mars of Destruction.
Actually, scratch that, watch it. it's so unintentionally hilarious, and fails on every level. If any of you want to know what a truly terrible anime really is, then you must watch this.

As for one I wouldn't recommend, probably Eiken.
My god, it's so horrible it's not even funny, unlike Mars of Destruction.
Can't believe we haven't mentioned Eiken. Goes to show how much of this thread has been about recommending against things that haven't been to our personal tastes instead of recommending against things that are actually bad.

LawlessSquirrel

Jun 9, 2010
bruunwald said:
I liked where Rozen Maiden was going in terms of the internal conflict of the main dolls in having to win this contest at each other's expense.

I could care less of the reek of fetish in it. I am not a prude in any way, and I have no problem with an honest fetish or two. But Rozen Maiden is another example of how anything and everything taboo can be too-easily commercialized and trivialized by an Anime market that I consider to be too big for its own good.

The end of this trend will be that Anime runs every gimmick it sniffs out into the ground until the whole human race becomes so bored with its trivialized existence that we all simultaneously commit suicide. Really, the industry needs to slow down and take a look at itself.
I'm assuming the whole loli-complex is what you're referring to? I honestly didn't get that vibe at all in the series, nor anything appearing fetishistic. I saw it more as a whole 'these are dolls, they're meant to be perfect' concept brought to life in an emotionally dark, and almost highlander-ish way. That's just me though, maybe it went over my head and I didn't pick up on any questionably subtext.

Maybe I'm blessed with a good ol' naivety where I just look past this stuff without knowing it XD

the_green_dragon

Nov 18, 2009
I'm not trollbaiting. I've just seen so much anime at my local store I dont know whats bad and whats not. I spent $150 on Gantz and sorely regret it so bad. I'm going thru and making a list, thank you to everyone whos contrubuted.

Also, please respect other peoples opinions, even if they are not the same as your own.

Crazy_Dude

Nov 3, 2010
If you think you will like an anime just watch the 1st few episodes and decide if you want to watch futher.

All this is subjective and a matter of taste some people might love a certain anime but others might hate that anime with a passion.

figday

Mar 22, 2011
Animes to avoid? for me..almost EVERYONE OF THEM!
i'm not saying that 90% of them are bad, but most of the manga-adapted animes are very pale in comparison to their manga counterpart (personal opinion). While there are still many good ones even though its adapted from mangas.

my conclusion : most manga adapted animes/movies fail. hence i cannot give specific answers. but i can give recommended ones to watch.

WaReloaded

Jan 20, 2011
emeraldrafael said:
I would actually say avoid Death Note. Its ver predictable, and if you see the first season, there's no need to see the second, cause its much of the same.
My thoughts exactly, I would have recommended avoiding Death Note too.

Rakkana

Nov 17, 2009
Jonluw said:
Rakkana said:
Wow! SO many haters. Naruto, Bleach and One piece are the top 3 for a reason.
Just like Justin Bieber is at the top for a reason, I guess.

.How dare anyone complain about One piece. It has a great anime and manga and unless your watching dub you have your only complaint is there are too many episodes? WTF? It's not like it gets worse as it goes on either, quite contrary it gets better AND it's good from the very beginning.
I have been trying to read One piece for a while now. I'm at chapter 158. It's really tedious to be honest. It's just the regular boring shonen stuff.

Truly avoidable animes are the ones that play on the brother sister fetish
What if you like that kind of stuff? Clannad, one of the best animes I've ever seen has a scene where it plays with this fetish. Does that make it bad? No, the scene is hilarious.
and/or go through the number of anime cliches. I've watched a lot of anime and unless it falls into one of these categories you have no excuse to not give the anime a try. (I made the mistake of putting off Hunter x Hunter for a whole year because I was too impatient to give something different a chance. It's now my favoirte anime and I have seen it over 5 times.)
From what I hear, it doesn't sound like Naruto, Bleach and One piece are exactly avoiding the cliches. They're truly generic shonen anime in my opinion.
Truly not the kind of stuff I'd recommend. Particularly not to a grown man who's going to watch it with his wife.
Actually since you pointed it out Clannad is an exception. It is a fantastic anime with well developed characters.

If you've tried One piece and simply decided you don't like it fair enough, your right it's just not for you. Now I think about it Bleach is quite generic too. But I don't think that should stop you from trying the other what should be generic shonens.

As you just said Clannad can strike you as quite cliched but it's done well enough to excuse this. Unless you try all the other anime's you'll never know which ones break the mold.

Megacherv

Kinect Development Sucks...
Sep 24, 2008
Any Gundam series made after Wing is not worth watching for the whole angsty 'let's complain and whine about how war is bad and that peace will never happen if people don't listen whilst we fight in giant 60-foot tall robots'-ism

darthotaku

Aug 20, 2010
Though I loved the manga version, the anime of Rosario+Vampire is so bad. the entire plot was sex jokes and pointless. they completely destroyed the plot from the manga.

also Mariaholic. it seems good from the first few episodes but nothing happens.

Cyfu

Nov 25, 2010
I don't understand why people say to avoid Naruto, Bleach and One Piece. I love them, they are so fu**ing awesome. i recommend them.

animes to avoid (in my opinion)
11eyes
ruroni kenshin (this one would actually be kind of awesome if Kenshin wasn't such a girl)
happy lesson
pandora hearts

Nihilism_Is_Bliss

Oct 27, 2009
[Kira Must Die said:
]Mars of Destruction.
Actually, scratch that, watch it. it's so unintentionally hilarious, and fails on every level. If any of you want to know what a truly terrible anime really is, then you must watch this.
Also, Tenkuu Danzato Skelter Heaven, which is made by the same people and is just as horrible.

As for one I wouldn't recommend, probably Eiken.
My god, it's so horrible it's not even funny, unlike Mars of Destruction.

And Apocalypse Zero. I couldn't get through the first episode, it was so hideous, and is one of the worse things I've ever seen.

None of you people know what a bad anime is until you've see any of these shows.
Oh god...Eiken and Mars of destruction...

Also, can somebody please explain to me what's so good about clannad? Granted I've only watched a few episodes but it's so...generic.

ThatLankyBastard

Aug 18, 2010
Umm... actually, I've never seen an anime I didn't like...

Granted, I've only seen 4 series... But I liked them all!

JemothSkarii

Thanks!
Nov 9, 2010
Hmm, there hasn't been an anime I haven't liked, the one I liked the least however and can recommend not watching is Fruit's Basket. Didn't read the manga, which I want to go and do, because the concept and characters were interesting. But it didn't seem to go anywhere, and it just ended, nothing special happens or anything, while there's meant to be a truckload more in the manga.

Anime's I can recommend are darker than BLACK, Spice and Wolf (I loved teh story and characters, it just seemed so great to me) Gurren Lagaan, and Wolf's Rain....it made me cry...and I found the characters very 'real' and the music fantastic. Good anime movie to watch for the story and animation is 5 Centimetres per Second, I adore it (not so much now since I broke up with my GF...but now I can relate to it, I feel like the guy from it).

DigitalAtlas

Mar 31, 2011
Animes to never, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever avoid:

Casshern SINS, Inital D, Gurren Lagann.

DazBurger

May 22, 2009
I guess you should avoid animes as a whole... That way you spare yourself of a lot of wasted hours.