(Recommendations) Just got a gaming PC but already have a 360

haddaway234

Mar 19, 2010
Hey so I got a laptop and decided to get one that could do some gaming. Its a great laptop, and it can run Crysis on high-very high settings smoothly so performance will not be an issue. Basically, I'm looking for some good PC exclusives to play. (exclusive from the 360 that is)

I haven't at all been keeping up with PC gaming news so I have no idea what I've missed, now I'm looking for something made during this gen, and I mainly like RPGs and FPS/TPSs but most other genres will be okay, although I don't like RTSs or MMOs. Currently I have the Witcher 2, Crysis 1/2, and TF2. Thanks.

haddaway234

Mar 19, 2010
In what way is torchlight better on PC? Although I have already played and beaten all of those multiplat games you mentioned on 360.

As for the PC exclusives, I was looking for games this gen but Painkiller and Stalker look pretty interesting.

Altanese

Mar 17, 2010
Depends on your tastes, really. Give some preferred genres or games and I'm sure I could whip out a few games off the top of my head, rather than fill a post with the couple hundred games I've had over the years. In any case, I agree with "Ephraim J. Witchwood" that there are games on the Xbox that are arguably better on the PC. If nothing else, you can find patches and mods for pretty much any video game out there (if you know where to look).

While we're at it... from the list "Ephraim J. Witchwood" gave, I'd definitely recommend the first two Fallout games and the Deus Ex games. Also, any of the three games from Troika (only three games, but they are all damn good).

Flutterguy

Jun 26, 2011
Well IMO Amnesia, Killing Floor, Minecraft (trust me, its good), League of Legends (similar to WC 3's custom game DoTA) and all I can think of as I havent slept in about 40 hours.

StBishop

Sep 22, 2009
haddaway234 said:
In what way is torchlight better on PC? Although I have already played and beaten all of those multiplat games you mentioned on 360.

As for the PC exclusives, I was looking for games this gen but Painkiller and Stalker look pretty interesting.
It's a Diablo 2 clone (It literally has the exact same sounds). Diablo 2 was PC only.
Logic seems to follow.

Anyway.

Only game I can think of this Gen, that's PC exclusive, that you don't have, and is worth having has been mentioned. Minecraft.

Flutterguy said:
Well IMO Amnesia, Killing Floor, Minecraft (trust me, its good), League of Legends (similar to WC 3's custom game DoTA) and all I can think of as I havent slept in about 40 hours.
OMFG, I forgot LoL and HoN (League of Legends and Heroes of Newerth). Both are good, try both before getting into either as plenty of people will tell you the one they don't like is the worst thing ever (I think LoL is shit) and that their favourite is amazing.

I've never met someone who really, really likes both. Only people who aren't fussed either way.

LoL is Free to Play, micro transaction model. You get a free hero to play most weeks and enough free currency to buy a hero of two when you sign up. Each week you get new free heroes to play for that week only so you can try them all before buying random one's that you may not like.

HoN requires an initial purchase with vanity items for sale through either microtransaction "gold coins" or "silver coins" which you get for free from things like #kills, #assists, winning a game, winning a game in less than 25 mins etc etc.

Danceofmasks

Jul 16, 2010
What about turn based strategy?

I love Civilization 5, even though it ate so many hours I would probably have been better off never buying it.

Kabutos

Oct 21, 2008
Danceofmasks said:

I love Civilization 5, even though it ate so many hours I would probably have been better off never buying it.
Also in this vein, the Total War series.

And Starcraft II if you like a little more fast-paced strategy. I know you said you don't like RTS's but there's a reason it's one of the best strategy games ever.

Danceofmasks

Jul 16, 2010
Kabutos said:
Danceofmasks said:

Also in this vein, the Total War series.

And Starcraft II if you like a little more fast-paced strategy. I know you said you don't like RTS's but there's a reason it's one of the best strategy games ever.
OP said no RTS games ...

Markgraf

Apr 1, 2009
Griffolion said:
Should also add Dragon Age: Origins, and the two Mass Effects. The quickbar in all three games really makes combat much more fluid. I'd also like to propose any game from the Total War series; you will never find something quite like it on a console.

StBishop

Sep 22, 2009
believer258 said:
StBishop said:
Only game I can think of this Gen, that's PC exclusive, that you don't have, and is worth having has been mentioned. Minecraft.
Hate to burst your exclusivity bubble, but Minecraft won't be a PC exclusive for long... [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/110678-E3-Minecraft-Coming-to-Xbox-360-With-Kinect], though, OP, I would still recommend getting it on PC because apparently mods make the game much better.

Also check into STALKER. I hear it's supposed to be good. And of course there's Battlefield 3, Skyrim, and Deus Ex Human Revolution coming out soon.

Man, this year's going to kill my wallet.

Meh, not much of a bubble to burst. I have it on PC and probably won't buy it on any other platform. I'm more of a console gamer to be honest. I just use PC for retro/nostalgia gaming and multi-player (except Reach) and I really only play HoN on here at the moment.

Still Life

Sep 22, 2010
Starcraft 2 - RTS

Dawn of War series - RTS

Amnesia - Horror adventure

Battlefield 3 (when its released) - FPS

ARMA II - Milsim

Do yourself a favor and get on steam. There's lots of indie games which look wicked and can only be found on PC.

DrOswald

Apr 22, 2011
Get steam and start buying indie games. For a start, I can personally recommend the following Steam games:

Anomaly Warzone Earth
Audiosurf
Beat Hazard
Bit.Trip.Beat
Defense Grid: The Awakening
Frozen Synapse (only if you have a friend to play with)
Greed Corp
Shatter
Super Meat Boy (only if you can connect a controller of some sort to your computer, I can give you instructions on how to do that with a PS3 controller free if you want)
Terraria (one again, only if you have friends)
Trine
VVVVVV
World of Goo
Worms Reloaded (friends)

Don't just blindly but the games, though. make sure it looks like something you would want to play.

Also, check the steam deals every day. you can get some really good games for really cheap if you have a few dollars in reserve to buy a game that comes on sale.

WouldYouKindly

Apr 17, 2011
Most any RPG plays better on the PC. It's just easier because you can have all of your abilities hotkeyed as opposed to the three or four in most console versions. Mods can also keep old games fresh. Dragon Age Origins is perfect in that respect. A good game, with good DLC, with a good modding community.

Shame about RTS though. I got a whole list of excellent PC exclusives.