Record for leaving your xbox on?

KenzS

Jun 2, 2008
It's pretty obvious that leaving your xbox on for an extended period of time is a bad idea. I just recently noticed someone on my friends list has been "Away since 4/20". That's nearly two months his xbox has been running! Insanity.

Although I'm doubtful, I don't even think an xbox can take that kind of punishment. Has anyone else ever done this?

Xelt

May 11, 2008
Those people who kept the Halo 2 servers up kept them on for a fair while I believe.

jakko12345

Dec 23, 2010
I've only ever left my Xbox on overnight to download games on demand, nothing else. But really, nearly 2 months? That's gotta be harmful.

Creator002

Aug 30, 2010
I've left it on overnight while downloading, but I enable background downloads, so it's not too bad.

Simple Bluff

Dec 30, 2009
KenzS said:
It's pretty obvious that leaving your xbox on for an extended period of time is a bad idea. I just recently noticed someone on my friends list has been "Away since 4/20". That's nearly two months his xbox has been running! Insanity.

Although I'm doubtful, I don't even think an xbox can take that kind of punishment. Has anyone else ever done this?
A bit of a longshot, but that person could be testing out a cooling system for Xbox. A two month trial would certainly test its mettle.

Pearwood

Mar 24, 2010
My PS3 is next to my bed so leaving it on overnight is annoying, that fan gets loud after a while. My record is probably about 12 hours though when I decided that Fallout 3 was more important than sleep.

Catchy Slogan

Jun 17, 2009
I never do, but my brother always leaves it on when he goes out because he can't be arsed turning it off. Annoys me so much. And when anything breaks it's obviously my fault, because apparentyly I'm never off it.

Griphphin

Jul 4, 2009
My dear lord, how has his Xbox not red ringed at this point!? And I thought that leaving mine on overnight accidentally was pushing it! I do my best not to tempt the fates, as my warranty expired back in '09.

Holyeskimo

Jul 14, 2010
Sapient Pearwood said:
My PS3 is next to my bed so leaving it on overnight is annoying, that fan gets loud after a while. My record is probably about 12 hours though when I decided that Fallout 3 was more important than sleep.
Good show

OT, i left mine on for a little over 16 hours when i left it on to download over night and then forgot to turn it off before i left for school.

supermariner

Aug 27, 2010
Well for really nerdy unlikable purposes the longest i've left mine on for is 4 days
and it was for infinite mode for Dead Rising
still only got to day 11

freakydan

Jan 28, 2010
During my run through of Assassin's Creed Brotherhood, I'd leave the game running while I was off at work or asleep. Come back, hit the bank, make an easy 80,000 florins, check the assassin's missions to get your earnings, send them all off on other missions, get to a safe place, roll over and take a nap.

I also left it running for quite a while on Mass Effect. I can't remember why or for how long, but it was long enough that the graphics started going wonky. The bullet trails weren't blending in with the background anymore, so every bullet had this weird opaque blue-ish line following it. Needless to say, I quickly got to a safe place to save and gave the old girl a bit of a rest.

vrbtny

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2009
Sapient Pearwood said:
Well... it is, isn't it? I remember when I played on Fallout 3 it was much more important than sleep, and life in general.

infohippie

Oct 1, 2009
If it had proper cooling in the first place, it shouldn't be an issue. Hell, I can (and do) leave my PC on for months at a time. One of my computers hasn't been shut down in over a year. The 360 is just a stripped-down PC in a fancy box, there's no reason other than it's poor cooling that it shouldn't be able to handle the same.

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
I'd say i have left it on a maximum of 6 hours. But even then that's rare, it's usually only on for about 4.

But really 2 Month? Is that even possible?

Bleedingskye

Mar 19, 2011
freakydan said:
I also left it running for quite a while on Mass Effect. I can't remember why or for how long, but it was long enough that the graphics started going wonky. The bullet trails weren't blending in with the background anymore, so every bullet had this weird opaque blue-ish line following it. Needless to say, I quickly got to a safe place to save and gave the old girl a bit of a rest.
Same thing here, I think the longest it was on was during ME, just never wanted to deal with waiting the extra few minutes to start up the xbox, start the game, then start off a save. Call me lazy, but I had the thing on for about 5 or 6 days.