Red Dawn Remake Remade With Koreans

gphjr14

Aug 20, 2010
They might as well made it China. North Korea couldn't take over a Rhode Island state fair.

Monsterfurby

Mar 7, 2008
Baresark said:
Alright, I admit that Red Dawn *was* an entertaining movie. Silly, sure, filled with pathos, sure, but entertaining. Freedom Fighters, a game based on the same theme, is one of my favourite games ever, actually. Having realism in movies (and games) isn't really my top priority when it comes to me enjoying them, so if this one is done well, I might just watch it. Still, I can't shake the feeling that it is just a very outdated theme. Red Dawn came out during the Cold War, when having "the commies" as your enemy was at least understandable, even the obvious choice to go with.

The USSR, while already on its way to collapse in 1984, was still sort of a believable enemy. At some point in time, the Cold War could have gone a different way, leading up to Soviet dominance. However, using North Korea as your new "big bad commie stand-in" is not only uncreative, it just perpetuates a state of mind and policy that doesn't exactly help the situation. The point I am getting at is this: The USSR was strong enough to pull itself back up. It was a nation with plentiful natural resources, and one that eventually proved that its parts at least could survive economic disaster. The USSR, at the same time, did at no point after Stalin's reign have millions of people starve to death. North Korea on the other hand is a country so weak, so unstable that all keeping it together is its ideology. The people are starving not simply because the government is willingly keeping food from them, but because the infrastructure is essentially not there; and mismanagement has caused food reserves to decline to near zero.

As long as popular culture keeps building up North Korea as an enemy instead of recognizing its need for help, the situation will never be resolved. But maybe that's actually quite beneficial strategically, for NK has been quite an annoyance to China for a while now.

Notsomuch

Apr 22, 2009
I think the re-make is going to be stupid and impractical. The original was stupid and impractical but sort of worked as an analogy to the war between the Afghans and the Soviet Union. It only really worked as a rough analogy. This new movie is just going to be the stupid actiony and Americany bits of Red Dawn, completely out of context, shot in an action movie format. North Korea isn't invading anybody and can't invade anybody.

At least with China there is something to be said about how they are occupying Tibet and their numbers/Industrial and financial power. If the point was, "This is pretty much what is happening to the Tibetan people." I still might not like it as a film but I could at least follow what it is getting at and respect their boldness. But I think there is no point to this film and fails to capture the spirit (The propaganda aspect) of the original.

JehuBot

Jun 1, 2011
For fuck sakes , grow some balls , Hollywood.

they should've stick to China.

the only way to save this now is if they can add a plot twist that reveals that China was heavily funding and supporting the N.Koreans in there invasion.

it's not that good of a plot twist , but at least it's better then trying to convince us that a small country like N.Korea can pull a large invasion on an entire continent all by themselves with no trouble what so ever , which is stupid.

Suijen

Apr 15, 2009
You could say that the DPRK suddenly developed teleportation technology and sold it to China/Russia to buy arms.

Vie

Nov 18, 2009
Oh, was I the only one to read the title as "Red Dwarf Remade with Koreans"?

I was giggling at the prospect of a Korean Lister.