Red Dead Redemption May Never be Profitable

docbox1567

Nov 10, 2009
It?s tough because Rockstar San Diego is being treated like everyone?s picked on red headed stepchild, and I would feel bad if all their ?thank you sir may I have another? work mentality went unrewarded. But I don?t want to line the pockets of uncreative dickheads with a control fetish get their piss poor management tactics validated with success. So I hope that Rockstar San Diego makes a great game and hardly anyone buys it so that those jackasses go bankrupt. : )

Chewster

It's yer man Chewy here!
Apr 24, 2008
Working conditions are generally unpleasant no matter what company one works at and it has been this way for a while, so I'm not too sure why this is a surprise to anyone. I thought it was common knowledge, especially after the "EA Spouse" whistle-blow fiasco.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
qbanknight said:
so east coast owns west coast? what a surprise ;D
Funny if you consider the politics of the "Wild West" in the early 20th century when RDR is set... all about the East asserting it's dominance.

On the topic of bad working conditions well remember John Romero and his rockstar lifestyle approach to making video games? Didn't turn out too well.

HyenaThePirate

Jan 8, 2009
Sounds to me like someone is trying to do damage control to make EXCUSES for why this game is probably going to be BROKEN when it's released..

I mean the game is about to come out.. honestly why is this news coming out mere weeks before release? It sounds to me like they KNOW the game is going to be a disaster with broken gameplay, but instead of concentrating on making it a quality title, they are laying the tracks for the blame train to run on the direct line to Rockstar NY.

I was extremely excited about this game.. i've been waiting for a GTA style game set in the west ever since Gun which I thought was phenomenal even if it didnt sell well and for the first time out doing a style of game like that. I'm a big fan of westerns, I watch them religiously, and I still watch and tivo Gunsmoke and Bonanza.

Now though i think I'll wait good and long before buying this for fear it might be a pile of crap, which is NOT the sort of opinion they want to cultivate before launching a game... otherwise the game's failure will be a self-fulfilling prophecy.

brunothepig

May 18, 2009
I feel sorry for them. Still, why are they telling us that the game will be crap? That doesn't seem like a great marketing strategy...

-Drifter-

Jun 9, 2009
HyenaThePirate said:
Sounds to me like someone is trying to do damage control to make EXCUSES for why this game is probably going to be BROKEN when it's released..

I mean the game is about to come out.. honestly why is this news coming out mere weeks before release?
Yeah, try months. It's not coming out until the very end of April.

squid5580

Elite Member
Feb 20, 2008
You know the game itself may not be profitable. But if it is as good as it looks they can earn alot of cred for thier next game and hopefully they can make it faster. Using the respect they earned form RDR turn a tidy profit.

Although it is sad to see something like this. With al the layoffs lately and then you find out everyone who isn't involved in the actual development has been fucking the dog and selling the pups.

Killerbunny001

Oct 23, 2008
sirdanrhodes said:
The "management" excuse, this isn't Duke Nukem you know.
Unfortunately for us this is not an excuse but a very sad truth. Clueless fuckers placed in managing positions from where they should steer don`t know how to get a project moving. It happened at the studio I work for and it is happening all over. Personally I blame this on the "will promote him because his been with the studio for X years" bullshit.

Plinglebob

Team Stupid-Face
Nov 11, 2008
I thought it was standard in any business that the only ones who get promoted to management are people who can't do their job because those that can are too important in their current positions.

Booze Zombie

Dec 8, 2007
Just because lots of people liked their games doesn't mean they're nice people, afterall.
You'd think it'd be bad for business to bully people into doing what you want and constantly fucking everything up.

But, what do I know?
I'm clearly not one of the many geniuses as Rockstar.