Red Dwarf!

Sean Hollyman

Jun 24, 2011
So I've heard off my sci fi megafan friend, about this show called Red Dwarf, and apparently it was really good and popular.

Chance had it, Dave was having a series marathon, so I began to watch, and it was really good! I'm going to borrow the complete box set off him :D

So anyway, who here likes Red Dwarf? Are you looking forward to season 10?

Apr 24, 2008
I love the series, but I'm not looking forward to anymore being made. There was a very sharp drop in quality somewhere along the way.

The earlier stuff is timeless, so it's a shame.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
I used to watch it a long time ago, and it was really fucking good.

Unfortunately it was already dropping in quality during its original run, so a 10th season doesn't inspire me with much hope.

Geo Da Sponge

May 14, 2008
yuval152 said:
Eclpsedragon said:
I've never heard of it.
What's it about?
I second that, so many threads about it but I can't understand what is it about.
Eclpsedragon said:
I've never heard of it.
What's it about?
Okay, here's the deal. Quick rundown here. They're in space on this mining ship, right, and this one guy called Dave Lister gets put into a stasis cell as punishment because he brought a pregnant cat on board the ship without permission. Now, while he's in stasis there's an engine leak or somesuch, and the entire crew gets wiped out. Not only that, but the entire craft is left horribly irradiated, only becoming safe thousands of years later. At that point the ships AI Holly, who has gone fairly senile, lets Dave out of his stasis cell to whom the time seems like nothing.

Dave is joined by the holographical projection of his dead bunkmate, Arnold Rimmer, who is a smeghead (translation: arsehole/dickhead/tosser/prick etc. etc.). They are then joined by the Cat, a humanoid lifeform descended from the pregnant cat that Dave smuggled on board thousands of years ago (it survived because it was sealed away in the cast, lead-lined cargo areas at the time). A few series in, they are joined by the mechanoid Kryten.

Basically, imagine a bunch of pretty clueless idiots poking around a post-apocalyptic galaxy, generally getting into trouble with weird technology and lifeforms left behind by humanity, which seems to have been all but wiped out in the mean time.

Also it's funny. Really funny. Well, we think it is.

Fractral

Tentacle God
Feb 28, 2012
I'm in the scriptwriters group for my school's theatre production. Just after dave started playing the series marathon, we had a meeting to finish off the script.
Now, several of the main characters call each other 'smegheads' and often say 'for smegs sake!' or 'Oh, Smeg this'.
And yeah, I love red dwarf. Though, I've never managed to watch past episode 4, although I must have watched the first epsiode at least 15 times.

SpectacularWebHead

Jun 11, 2012
yuval152 said:
Eclpsedragon said:
I've never heard of it.
What's it about?
I second that, so many threads about it but I can't understand what is it about.
Red Dwarf is a sci fi series Primarily about Dave Lister. In the future-ish, Dave is a chicken soup despensory repair man on the starship Red Dwarf who is put into stasis for bringing a cat on board the ship. However, his bunk mate, Arnold Rimmer, is sent to do some repairs on Red Dwarfs drive core. However, he botches the job and the entire crew are killed in a radiation leak, all except lister, who is kept in stasis for three million years due to the ships contamination and that being how long it took to get rid of all of the radiation. He is revived by the ships computer, Holly, who has gone computer senile due to his millions of years in isolation aboard Red Dwarf. Lister wakes up and finds the entire crew are, and have been dead, for three million years, and that he is the last human being in existance. But, in an effort to keep him sane, Holly brings back Rimmer as a hologram. The two then discover a being descended from cats, simply called "Cat". After a few adventures, they discover the wreck of an old space cruiser, and on board is a mechanoid called Kryten, who they bring with them. Lister then attempts to help kryten break his programming so he can become more human. As I can't really recount every episode to you, That's the back story of how the "Dwarfers" got together. It is an absoulutly hilarious show, and I'd highly recommend it.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
The first season of Red Dwarf was alright, though nothing special. It improved over the next few season, and season 5 was excellent. It started to backslide, they lost one of the writers, season 8 was alrightish, it was cancelled, brought back much later as Back to Earth on no budget, which was rubbish. Don't hold out much hopes for the new season.

Oh:

C'mon, you gotta love Ace Rimmer.

Laughing Man

Oct 10, 2008
Two backstories and you both some how forgot Kristine Kochanski. Well since she becomes a regular in the seventh season it seems that she should be mentioned. She is a navigation office who Dave Lister lusts after but never has the courage to ask out. She makes a couple of appearances in the first season, one in the second, one in the sixth and then through the wonders of sci-fi gets brought in to the regular crew for seasons seven and eight.

Tiger King

Legacy
Oct 23, 2010
Country
USA
Sean Hollyman said:
So I've heard off my sci fi megafan friend, about this show called Red Dwarf, and apparently it was really good and popular.

Chance had it, Dave was having a series marathon, so I began to watch, and it was really good! I'm going to borrow the complete box set off him :D

So anyway, who here likes Red Dwarf? Are you looking forward to season 10?

I watched it when I was younger and loved it!
I recently got the free month trial of Netflix and started watching all the series. I didn't know about the new series until quite recently so I'm looking forward to it.

Lt._nefarious

Apr 11, 2012
If your in trouble he will save the day
he's brave and he's fearless come what may
without him the mission would go astray

He's Arnold, Arnold, Arnold Rimmer
Without him life would be much grimmer
he's handsome, trim there's no one slimmer
He'll never need a zimmer

He's Arnold, Arnold, Arnold Rimmer
more reliable than a garden strimmer
he's never been mistaken for Yul Brynner
He's not bald and his head doesn't glimmer

Master of the wit and the repartee
his command of space directives is uncanny
How come he's such a genius? don't ask me

ask

Arnold, Arnold, Arnold Rimmer
He's also a fantastic swimmer
And if you play your cards right then
he just might come around for dinner

He's Arnold, Arnold Arnold Rimmer
No rhymes left apart from quimmer
He'd better fade us out before we get to schlimmer
fade out you stupid plimmer

Does that answer your question

Quiet Stranger

Feb 4, 2006
The only thing I know about The Red Dwarf series is that the (I think) black actor on the show did the voice for Gex The Gecko

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Aug 15, 2008
Who needs Dave marathons when you have all the series on DVD ;)

Although I don't get why they are showing series 7 and 8 first. Why not go from 1-8?

johnnyLupine

Nov 19, 2008
Quiet Stranger said:
The only thing I know about The Red Dwarf series is that the (I think) black actor on the show did the voice for Gex The Gecko
Its funny Id been wondering what that guy had done other than red dwarf, Lister did robot wars and coronation street, rimmer was on the brittas empire and did at least one documentary and Kryten hosted scrapheap challenge.

Moonlight Butterfly

Be the Leaf
Mar 16, 2011
I don't know...I love Red Dwarf but I just think it was a series of it's time and should be left in the past.

I'll have a peek at the new series but I don't have high hopes.

ramboondiea

Oct 11, 2010
I grew up with red dwarf, even if i was a little too young to understand all the jokes sometimes haha
but in all honestly i am not really interested in X, i will probably get round to watching it at some point, but i dont think it will be the same, because its going to go one of two ways, its going to try to be all modern-pop culture comedy, which i don't think will mess well with the show, or it will go for a vintage approach and suffer from being more of the same, only replace with much older actors,

i just think it has been tolong in rebooting the tv special from last year suffered from the same problems