Red Orchestra: Why snipers?

Xealeon

Feb 9, 2009
So 'Red Orchestra 2: Heroes of Stalingrad' came out a little while ago and this is a question for those of you who play it. Also 'Red Orchestra: Ostfront' players, this goes for them too.

Why is everyone so crazy about the Marksman class?

It seems like every time I join a game the Marksman class is full on both sides immediately. I'm not complaining, I don't want the sniper rifle I was just wondering what the obsession is with the class. The regular bolt-action is just as accurate, easier to use at close range and can be loaded 5 shots at a time rather than just 1. Also it gets a bayonet. If you're going for a dedicated 1-shot-kill the sniper rifle is no better than the regular rifle and actually worse than the anti-tank rifle in that regard. In close combat the automatic and semi-automatic weapons beat it hands down. With all these better and much more available classes why does everyone rush for Marksman?

For semi-automatic sniper rifles take the above paragraph and replace "bolt-action" with "semi-automatic" and remove the second-to-last sentence.

Ordinaryundone

Oct 23, 2010
Because people like sniping. Simple as that. Its fun, plus it does come with its own tactical advantages like a better effective range thanks to the scope.

RobCoxxy

Feb 22, 2009
Mostly because people think "Snipers are cool" and pick it, while being awful shots. Which annoys the hell out of the rest of the team and the decent snipers.

And that's why commendations are nice, get rid of the weak.

FlashHero

Apr 3, 2010
Sniping is about the best reason why I would play RO. However I have yet to because money :(.

Ender910_v1legacy

Oct 22, 2009
My guess would be that people get tired of getting sniped on larger and more open maps... so they decide to snipe back. Sadly it's not that simple in actual practice. Or maybe I'm just a sucky sniper.

thelonewolf266

Nov 18, 2010
The sniper is definitely better than the regular rifles for accuracy at long range plus I just really enjoy being a sniper and the reason its always gone is there is generally only one allowed per team.