Red Pyramid Thing Reviews Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt (Anime)

Pyramid Head

Jun 19, 2011
Though I normally surf DeviantART because the maker of my favorite flash games and a couple of old friends who aren?t complete fucking idiots are online there, it has a nasty tendency to bite me in the ass. Take for instance Soul Eater, an anime I checked out because of it?s bizarre prevalence on DeviantART. The fact that Square Enix appears in the credits should tip you off, the fact that the voice actress for Naruto appears should tip you off, but let me spell it out: STUPID FUCKING CHARACTERS!! It?s ridiculous! Only one character out of nearly a dozen that doesn?t make you want to go on a fucking killing spree. The only thing remarkable about it is the trippy art style and the fact that the soundtrack is good for anime standards. Mind you after things like K-On and Lucky Star the anime standard is so fucking low Justin Bieber could meet it.

And this anime certainly meets the current standard set somewhere in the second circle of hell. Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt. Now this is a really obscure one, you can tell because it?s still on YouTube and wasn?t taken down, so really I think fan subs are the only thing you?re going to get out of this series. Once again, what makes it stand out is the weird art style, only instead of making the moon a creepy face with bleeding gums, Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt looks like a western animation. That is to say almost completely phoned in.

Let?s get to the meat of things so we can more effectively take the piss of things. Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt stars two fallen angels called Panty and Stocking, named after the weapons they?ve been assigned.
No really. Their unique powers are that Panty can turn underwear into guns and Stocking can turn socks into swords. That?s a weird ass power. Is there a character named Bra who turns her push-up that isn?t fooling anyone into a sawn-off shotgun?
Anyway Panty and Stocking are two angels assigned to watch over Danten City, a city located on the verge between heaven and hell that is frequently plagued by demons. This is sort of a holy probation, Panty and Stocking are at risk of losing their status among Jah?s choir and need to gain holy coins to buy their way back into the promised land. The problem is that Panty is a raging nymphomaniac that will jump on anything with a pole and a pulse and Stocking has that magical girl tendency to make multiple attempts to give herself hypoglycemia by eating as much sweets in one hour as most of us would eat in three weeks. She also has a gothic Lolita appearance that in any other art style would make her look so pretentious you?d want to smother her with a pillow. Seriously Goths, what gives? You think you?re defying established convention and expressing individuality by all dressing the same and filling your body with so much metal your drawn to magnetic north?

Anyway obviously Panty and Stocking are totally fucking useless, so to aid them on their quest they work with a black gay priest with an absurd afro named Garterbelt and a weird zipper monster called Chuck who?s sole purpose seems to be getting physically abused. You could make accusations of racism in regards to Garterbelt, but I pull the old Capcom card in that it?s not racist if it?s simply sheer fucking stupidity on display as opposed to genuine hatred.

The anime is divided into several episodes with each episode containing two scenarios normally named after an old movie in which the slut and the diabetic tackle either a demon or their own bone-breaking idiocy. The first episode opens as the series means to go on with them fighting a demon who possesses toilets, with Panty marching in to battle the excremental (Shit Demon) covered in raw sewage while her sister doesn?t break an octave like she?s channeling Keanu Reaves.

Now is it all bad drawing, stupid jokes and cheap profanity? Weirdly, no. Right after we see Panty and Stocking march into battle with one covered in shit, it switches to a transformation animation of decent quality. The music isn?t of good quality, it sounds like Ballad of Gay Tony?s table scraps, but the art is decent. What do they do during this animation? A strip tease and sort of a prayer where they state that they fight using clothing of the holy virgin.

Uh? I know that Abrahamic religions like Christianity and Islam tend to be horribly inconsistent, but I don?t remember any publication stating Saint Mary was a stripper. Was this why Tyndale got executed? Was there actually something in older texts stating that Mary was actually a pole dancer and was suckered into the holy virgin thing because Jah really appreciated her talents?

But enough of that. We?re now at the final question of whether or not Panty and Stocking is a good anime.
Well, no. No it?s not. It?s stupid beyond all repair with the only humorous moments coming from bad attempts to use English profanity. I wouldn?t go so far to say it?s Japan?s answer to Family Guy which is nothing but a shitty animation desperately trying to cash in on The Simpson?s table scraps when it?s writers lack any form of talent and simply go for every desperate joke they can get I?ll instead compare it to the work of another Seth and say it?s more like Japan?s answer to Robot Chicken in that it is remarkably stupid but has some successful attempts and keeps an air of parody about it while Family Guy pushes the humor and stupidity so hard it comes off as frustrating.
Though I wouldn?t recommend you stay for the full course, I?d still recommend you watch the pilot simply to see Japan?s interpretation of American toilet humor. Just don?t go past episode one, what little quality that episode had didn?t survive into the following episodes. And for the love of fuck, do not ever make my mistake of checking out an anime because it appears a lot on DeviantART if you want to keep your sanity.

Turns condoms into spears
--Pyramid Head

Next Review: Hellsing and Hellsing Ultimate

Pyramid Head

Jun 19, 2011
aPretentiousGit said:
NEVER review anything again. Seriously. Save people from wasting their time reading your tripe.
Oh hey! My first troll on The Escapist! What a special occasion.
That said, i guess it wasn't the obscure piece of shit i thought it was. I've gotten quite a lot of views already. Next time i'll have to remember to Wikipedia it before i post it.

Pyramid Head

Jun 19, 2011
aPretentiousGit said:
Don't get too happy, all your views are from me linking it to people to laugh at you. Notice how nobody still cares about your other piece of shit topics?
No, but i did notice that your account was created today. Who is wasting there time, the guy who spends an hour every week reviewing a game and an anime to practice his writing, or the guy that made an account specifically to troll a random critic who isn't even trying to work professionally?

Pyramid Head

Jun 19, 2011
aPretentiousGit said:
Well I don't know. Your nonsensical ramblings about things you have no expertise on took hours to make, whereas it took me literally minutes to look through possibly the worst forum on the entire internet to see what shit was being spewed today. Why don't you do the math, genius?

You're absolutely right. I benefit in the form of practice, and if you were telling the truth about linking to it and getting people to view it, you worked into my favor because it increases the odds i can get attention from someone who can offer a good opinion and help me improve. In the end, this worked in my favor, but don't worry! I'm sure someday you'll do something more worthwhile than trolling.

KurtzGallahad

Oct 8, 2009
I haven't seen the series, so I'm not going to jump to its defense, but I do have a few comments
aPretentiousGit said:
It's traditional to have some form of content in posts, rather than just insulting folk
Pyramid Head said:
You need to work on your pacing, the amount of subjective opinion you put into your reviews is exactly the sort of thing that makes many reviews popular, but it seems like your rushing through it. You should also work on your formatting, the current layout is too wall of texty for many readers, try including subheadings to break it up a bit, this should also help with the pacing somewhat
Just some friendly suggestions

Pyramid Head

Jun 19, 2011
KurtzGallahad said:
I haven't seen the series, so I'm not going to jump to its defense, but I do have a few comments
aPretentiousGit said:
It's traditional to have some form of content in posts, rather than just insulting folk
Pyramid Head said:
You need to work on your pacing, the amount of subjective opinion you put into your reviews is exactly the sort of thing that makes many reviews popular, but it seems like your rushing through it. You should also work on your formatting, the current layout is too wall of texty for many readers, try including subheadings to break it up a bit, this should also help with the pacing somewhat
Just some friendly suggestions

I'm still a gaming media prick in training and actually welcome input like that. I'll keep what you said in mind, admittedly a lot of the anime reviews i post tend to just be something i type up in half an hour and post, saving my effort for stuff i really like.

kuremalas

Nov 9, 2011
To be completely honest, if the reasons you stated are, in fact, the reasons you hate P&S so much, then maybe anime isn't your thing. The only thing that I could get from your post is that you dislike shows that are strange. Yes, P&S is strange, but so is a lot of Japanese stuff, and therefore a lot of anime.

I'm not saying that your opinion is wrong, just that your reasons don't validate it to the point that you can say the show is BAD. It's very popular in some niche groups, and I can definitely see why it's unpopular with the everyday audience. I, myself, don't like the show, but for the sole reason that it's a comedy that I don't find funny.

If you want to get into writing, then try to make your reviews more objective. Keep your own opinions in, of course, but bashing something in the way that you did only makes you seem immature. And don't include any mention of sites that you regularly visit. EVERY website has its own community, and these communities can get very aggressive toward each other. In my experience, DeviantArt has a lot of fanboy/girl art, and is typically associated with fujoshi. Also, if something is popular, then it's not a very good idea to bash it. While I agree that K-ON and Naruto are horrible, I found Lucky Star to be one of the most entertaining comedies that I've ever seen (ignoring the first few episodes). After reading that you think Lucky Star was included in lowering overall anime standards, I could predict what your entire post would be saying.

It IS a good idea, though, to list shows that you DID enjoy beforehand. This gives a good idea as to what kind of story you like, and helps the reader know whether or not that they should trust your opinions. Someone who enjoys the same things as you may share your opinion, but if you actively bash popular shows, then that will alienate the majority of your audience.

But most of all, the key to writing a good review is practice. Compile a list of strong points to reinforce your main idea, then expand on them. Avoid doing what you did in this review (i.e. ranting about how strange things confuse you). If you continue to watch anime, then you WILL find a lot of shows you don't like, and if you choose to review them, try to look at it objectively. Your point about how the art style is "bad" is completely moot, because that style was intentional and done to reinforce the bizarreness of the story. This show is a SATIRE, and therefore taking any religious references seriously is useless. I believe that the OST sold very well, so saying the music is bad is another subjective opinion.

Despite all this, there are two points that I agree with: that naruto and K-ON are shit.

Pyramid Head

Jun 19, 2011
kuremalas said:
To be completely honest, if the reasons you stated are, in fact, the reasons you hate P&S so much, then maybe anime isn't your thing. The only thing that I could get from your post is that you dislike shows that are strange. Yes, P&S is strange, but so is a lot of Japanese stuff, and therefore a lot of anime.

I'm not saying that your opinion is wrong, just that your reasons don't validate it to the point that you can say the show is BAD. It's very popular in some niche groups, and I can definitely see why it's unpopular with the everyday audience. I, myself, don't like the show, but for the sole reason that it's a comedy that I don't find funny.

If you want to get into writing, then try to make your reviews more objective. Keep your own opinions in, of course, but bashing something in the way that you did only makes you seem immature. And don't include any mention of sites that you regularly visit. EVERY website has its own community, and these communities can get very aggressive toward each other. In my experience, DeviantArt has a lot of fanboy/girl art, and is typically associated with fujoshi. Also, if something is popular, then it's not a very good idea to bash it. While I agree that K-ON and Naruto are horrible, I found Lucky Star to be one of the most entertaining comedies that I've ever seen (ignoring the first few episodes). After reading that you think Lucky Star was included in lowering overall anime standards, I could predict what your entire post would be saying.

It IS a good idea, though, to list shows that you DID enjoy beforehand. This gives a good idea as to what kind of story you like, and helps the reader know whether or not that they should trust your opinions. Someone who enjoys the same things as you may share your opinion, but if you actively bash popular shows, then that will alienate the majority of your audience.

But most of all, the key to writing a good review is practice. Compile a list of strong points to reinforce your main idea, then expand on them. Avoid doing what you did in this review (i.e. ranting about how strange things confuse you). If you continue to watch anime, then you WILL find a lot of shows you don't like, and if you choose to review them, try to look at it objectively. Your point about how the art style is "bad" is completely moot, because that style was intentional and done to reinforce the bizarreness of the story. This show is a SATIRE, and therefore taking any religious references seriously is useless. I believe that the OST sold very well, so saying the music is bad is another subjective opinion.

Despite all this, there are two points that I agree with: that naruto and K-ON are shit.

I actually like some of the more Japanese shows, Lucky Star and Seitokai Yakuin Domo are among my favorites, but what i didn't like about Panty and Stocking is that it seemed to feel more like it was aimed at western audiences or expose it's eastern audience to western animation. I've heard a Powerpuff Girl meets South Park comparison for it, and i honestly am not a fan of either of those shows.

Anyway, one problem with what you said is that reviews are always subjected to personal opinion so objectivity in a review is on the difficult side. I could try to more effectively point out faults and favors, but i have a bad habit of half-assing reviews on shows i don't like, as you can clearly see. The thing about it is that while there are animes i like, anime as a whole lately seems to be suffering from the same problem as gaming as a whole, lack of focus and slapdash writing. I've found some old classics and weirdly enough found that i like some of the works of Clamp, but the mainstream hasn't coughed up anything to get me excited lately. But, then again, that's why i persist, to find stuff worth talking about.

Actually on that note, since i don't have TV i also have been falling behind in anime news. Any item you would recommend a jaded reviewer check out?

kuremalas

Nov 9, 2011
Pyramid Head said:
Actually on that note, since i don't have TV i also have been falling behind in anime news. Any item you would recommend a jaded reviewer check out?
Try Puella Magi Madoka Magika or Steins;Gate. Both are very well thought-out and definitely provide hope for the future of anime.

And I'm not saying to get rid of all subjectivity, just that in this review it sounds like your emotions got the better of you. I understand not wanting to spend much time on reviewing things that you don't like, so try writing more reviews for what you DO like. After you get more practice, try something like this again and see if you can make it less preach-y.

And I agree, it can be exciting to find that one show that REALLY makes you want to talk. Use that excitement to improve your writing. If you actually enjoy what you write about, then it becomes much more fun.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
Not bad for a first review but the thing is, I really want to watch this anime now. I'm just weird like that I guess, I went out and bought Aquaman after it was crucified as well and, am getting E.T. first thing once I have my Atari. As for anime though, I haven't watched much lately but I loves me some stupid comedies, especially when they're overly sexual like To Love Ru (which you may like better than Stockings, Panties and, Garter)

Pyramid Head

Jun 19, 2011
Shoggoth2588 said:
Not bad for a first review but the thing is, I really want to watch this anime now. I'm just weird like that I guess, I went out and bought Aquaman after it was crucified as well and, am getting E.T. first thing once I have my Atari. As for anime though, I haven't watched much lately but I loves me some stupid comedies, especially when they're overly sexual like To Love Ru (which you may like better than Stockings, Panties and, Garter)
Maybe this will change your mind. I actually say it's worth watching the pilot just to see how fucked up things are. As for To Love Ru... actually i never bothered looking that one up. Maybe i'll check it out later when i'm done with the earlier made recommendations

Sassafrass

This is a placeholder
Legacy
Aug 24, 2009
Country
United Kingdom
DarkRyter said:
Really, you're just now watching it?

It's been out since, like Fall 2010, man.
What's your point?

OT: Good review, although it could use some pictures to spice up the review, stop readers getting bored half-way through.

wendeego

Feb 1, 2012
Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt wasn't so much the result of a couple of bored animators phoning it in, as it was one of the greatest animators of all time taking all the money that people threw at Gurren Lagann and going "You know what? Instead of making something that will sell lots of copies, I'm going to do whatever the hell I want with my best buddies, and you're going to eat it all up!" That is precisely what he did. So that's your first mistake.

Otherwise, all I can really say is that Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt is obviously an incredibly polarizing show and not at all for everybody. I think it's an interesting experiment, and there were some parts I really liked a lot, but other parts were a bit hit or miss while still others could have been done a lot better. I did think the ending was very well done, and that the main characters were a breath of fresh air compared to typical weak-at-the-knees anime heroines. But it takes some effort seeing past the poop and sex jokes in order to realize that some of the things the show does are genuinely clever. Probably better than Dead Leaves, but probably not as good as FLCL at what it does. Then again, is anything as good as FLCL?

Anyway, I take no issue with this review except that calling the art in this show "phoned in" and labeling the pole-dancing transformation scenes as the single instances of "good art" in the show is missing the point. Panty and Stocking is exactly what the creators intended it to be, warts and all. The question is whether or not it's any good!

Pyramid Head

Jun 19, 2011
wendeego said:
Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt wasn't so much the result of a couple of bored animators phoning it in, as it was one of the greatest animators of all time taking all the money that people threw at Gurren Lagann and going "You know what? Instead of making something that will sell lots of copies, I'm going to do whatever the hell I want with my best buddies, and you're going to eat it all up!" That is precisely what he did. So that's your first mistake.

Otherwise, all I can really say is that Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt is obviously an incredibly polarizing show and not at all for everybody. I think it's an interesting experiment, and there were some parts I really liked a lot, but other parts were a bit hit or miss while still others could have been done a lot better. I did think the ending was very well done, and that the main characters were a breath of fresh air compared to typical weak-at-the-knees anime heroines. But it takes some effort seeing past the poop and sex jokes in order to realize that some of the things the show does are genuinely clever. Probably better than Dead Leaves, but probably not as good as FLCL at what it does. Then again, is anything as good as FLCL?

Anyway, I take no issue with this review except that calling the art in this show "phoned in" and labeling the pole-dancing transformation scenes as the single instances of "good art" in the show is missing the point. Panty and Stocking is exactly what the creators intended it to be, warts and all. The question is whether or not it's any good!

In that case, no. But i'm more of a language humor fan anyway. I didn't know much about the history of the item at the time i was writing this, but considering i didn't like Gurren Lagan either, i guess i'm just not in the demographic. Though i can respect someone fucking around with a fortune he never expected to have.

lapan

Jan 23, 2009
Funny, i liked both Soul Eater and Panty and Stocking. Though in Soul Eaters case i prefer the manga. Guess our tastes are just that different. And i generally like weird shit, that helps too.

Can't see how soul eaters characters are that much worse than any other shonen battle series main characters though. At least i prefer them to Bleach and Narutos main characters by a lot.

It might help your review if you mix in some pictures and highlight your paragraphs a bit more, makes it more enjoyable to read.

I wouldn't recommend To Love Ru by the way, it's the epitome of what's bad about harem series:

-clueless protagonist with not much of a personality? CHECK
-episodic setup with overdone jokes? CHECK
-no real story progression? CHECK
-one pantyflash per second-syndrome? CHECK

Pyramid Head

Jun 19, 2011
lapan said:
I wouldn't recommend To Love Ru by the way, it's the epitome of what's bad about harem series:

-clueless protagonist with not much of a personality? CHECK
-episodic setup with overdone jokes? CHECK
-no real story progression? CHECK
-one pantyflash per second-syndrome? CHECK

Where were you two months ago when i actually sat down and watched two episodes of it? Five people would still have their skin if you gave me a heads up earlier.
I kid. Mostly. I could only get two episodes in because the main character just filled me with so much hatred and anger it was almost like i was listening to conservative talk radio.