Red Ring Of Death... Stopped?

Sporky111

Digital Wizard
Dec 17, 2008
Any 360 made after november 08 should be away from the RROD. They started using a new circuit board that produces less heat (which they believe causes the red ring) so it might be gone forever...except in the scarred minds of microsofts customers.

ultimatechance

Dec 24, 2008
my last rrod was almost 2 years ago. Im on my 3rd console, and it seems to be working perfect. If it ever happens again, then ill just go to best buy, buy a system, call for the replacement, then refund the 360 back. No big deal really.

deletemeplease107

Oct 15, 2008
Because of you people constantly talking about the RROD, I am soo paranoid about my 360 if i leave it on for a few hours...

Rednog

Nov 3, 2008
cuddly_tomato said:
scotth266 said:
Why bother comment on the RROD anyway? MS will just fix it for you if you call customer support...
Because it is an absolute disgrace that in this day and age such a shoddy and unreliable piece of electronic apparatus can get through quality controls and be sold as merchandise. The machine is unfit for purposes.

@op- RRoD means your machine is on its way out. Turning it off alows its guts to cool a bit, and many of the connections between the mobo and the GPU will slot back in. But this is temporary, it will fail again before long.

Call up Microsoft and insist on a repair. Explain that you are getting the RRoD and if they say anything along the lines of "it's working now" don't accept it.
You have never bought computer parts have you?
I've worked in computer place and have built several computers, not once have I ever seen a person buy a boatload of parts and not have to return one thing because its faulty or defective. Every computer I've built to date forced me to RMA or get a replacement part. I just built a computer 2 weeks ago, the Evga Geforce card was defective, looked up solutions online apparently over 60% of the cards of that model are defective yet every other site is pushing it off on people as special deals. I ended up having to manually open the card and fix it myself to avoid the hassle of newegg's return policy.
Technology is made with cheaper and cheaper parts to keep costs down and because of that they break like no other... though I think I may be the only person left who got a 360 on launch day and has yet to RROD, though I think my personal care of cleaning it occasionally and using a laptop cooling pad has attributed to its longevity.

cuddly_tomato

Nov 12, 2008
Rednog said:
cuddly_tomato said:
scotth266 said:
Why bother comment on the RROD anyway? MS will just fix it for you if you call customer support...
Because it is an absolute disgrace that in this day and age such a shoddy and unreliable piece of electronic apparatus can get through quality controls and be sold as merchandise. The machine is unfit for purposes.

@op- RRoD means your machine is on its way out. Turning it off alows its guts to cool a bit, and many of the connections between the mobo and the GPU will slot back in. But this is temporary, it will fail again before long.

Call up Microsoft and insist on a repair. Explain that you are getting the RRoD and if they say anything along the lines of "it's working now" don't accept it.
You have never bought computer parts have you?
Yes, I have. I have a PS3, which has never failed. I have a PC, which has never had a hardware failure. I am on my second Xbox360, which has had the E74 fault once and the RRoD twice.

As far as I am concerned the lack of reliability of the Xbox360 is unacceptable.

Hamster at Dawn

It's Hazard Time!
Mar 19, 2008
My xbox did the same thing. Got RROD, turned it off and on again, played happily for about a day, got RROD again and had to send it back. They did fix it for free within 2 weeks though so I can forgive them.

R0DZ

Feb 2, 2009
maddawg IAJI said:
R0DZ said:
I'm just curious if anyone has an answer. My Xbox had just gotten the RROD after I hadn't played it for a week (makes sense right) when I started it up. I turned it off left it for a while and then turned it on again to take my CoD 4 disc out and now it works fine again. So, uh, what does that mean? It my Xbox gonna be okay then or should I still call Microsoft support?
it might have just overheated mine does it all the time just let it cool down
3 red lights mean its dead
2 red lights mean it overheated
1 red light ??????? i dont know
Nah man, I had just turned it on and it started flashing agh.

Sipher107 said:
Because of you people constantly talking about the RROD, I am soo paranoid about my 360 if i leave it on for a few hours...
You should be scared. Haha. It doesn't necessarily have to be left on though, it could just happen for its own reasons.

Ago Iterum

Dec 31, 2007
iain62a said:
Now where did I leave my compressed air...
Hahaaa. Nice.

But yeah. RROD is inexcusable, and the way Microsoft have dealt with it shows how little they really care about their consumers.

Look at Nintendo. They had a problem, weak WiiMote wrist straps, and the WiiMote banging in to things. So they sent all Wii owners a new improved wrist strap, and a rubber WiiMote protective case. In the stores you would've payed £15.

antibonk

Apr 10, 2008
Guess I am really lucky. My launch 360 is still going strong and I have a ps3 for about a year that I have had 0 issues with. In fact, I have been gaming since the days of Atari. And the only system I have had die on me was my DS phat. The top screen on it died a couple months ago. It was also a launch system. Guess I just have had really good luck with my systems. I do take very good care of them though. :p

Apocalyptic-Bob

Feb 11, 2009
Hooray Microsoft and skimping on hear putty expenses.
My very ill-advised advice to avoid the problem in the future: void the warranty, take it apart, scrape off the heat-putty, and put a new, good heat putty on there, with a decent fan. Then, never let the console leave your house for fear of crack Microsoft snipers.

Pimppeter2

Dec 31, 2008
Ago Iterum said:
iain62a said:
Hahaaa. Nice.

But yeah. RROD is inexcusable, and the way Microsoft have dealt with it shows how little they really care about their consumers.

Look at Nintendo. They had a problem, weak WiiMote wrist straps, and the WiiMote banging in to things. So they sent all Wii owners a new improved wrist strap, and a rubber WiiMote protective case. In the stores you would've payed £15.

What do you want them to do, recall them all and give new ones. Lets not forget that it is a fucking buisness.

Comparing a The wii mote strap thing was okay, I get what your saying but still Nintendo didnt do that because they love us, they didnt wanna get sued.

Guys its not a big deal, send it in get it repaired and forget about it, its just 3 weeks without gameing it'll pass. I've sent mine in, big fuckin deal.

RhinoTuna

Nov 17, 2008
Indigo_Dingo said:
The Iron Ninja said:
Indigo_Dingo said:
Check above - I'm not the first to post this form of snide remark, and I doubt I will be the last. If up to that point no-one had said anything remotely connected with suggesting that the RROD is a negative point to the 360, I would have said nothing. However, as others had done it, I assumed the general attitude was thus that it was appropriate.
I think you're taking it a bit too seriously.
Oh who am I kidding?
I meant all of it.
I really do think you're an owl.
You vile Strigiform you.

But I do sometimes wonder what draws you into even going into threads about xbox 360 in the first place. I don't go into threads about PS3 or PS3 games, there's most likely going to be nothing there that will interest me.
Its for the reason I said - its this idea of someone continuing to come back to something they genuinely know will fail, yet convince themselves that they will get lucky. Like All Blacks fans when they go up against Australia.
That simile is pretty bad, i mean, the All Blacks are a good side. It would've been more appropriate if you had of replaced All Blacks with say... Ireland?

Kirosilence

Nov 28, 2007
Bill Gates has a button on his desk, and when he presses it, random 360s will RROD. Why does he do this? Because he is sustained by QQing on internet forums across the world.

Recently, the hardware division of Microsoft found out about this button, and had it removed, thus the recent statement about how "The worst of the xBox hardware failures are behind us."

Zeushbien

May 23, 2008
It's kind of surprising how many are willing to defend Microsoft for knowingly making a defunct machine.. They must be all giddy just thinking about it.

Spartan Bannana

Apr 27, 2008
The Iron Ninja said:
Indigo_Dingo said:
yzzlthtz said:
How to stop RROD: Throw the 360 away and don't spend another dime on Microsoft's game business.
Amazing how so few people get the picture.
*adopts the voice of David Attenborough*

Much like the majestic owl, the Indigo Dingo perches high above the forums, a sharp eye scanning the listed threads for a sufficient meal, keeping special attention for buzzwords like "Micro$oft", "Gears of War" and "Red Ring of Death".

*shrieking noise*

Ah yes, he's spotted one.

*cut to cute little RROD thread poking it's head out of the long grass and looking around nervously*

The Indigo Dingo swoops down for the kill, it's sharp talons will make short work of it's prey.

*noises of cute little RROD thread being ripped apart*

To some, this may seem a grizzly scene, but for the Indigo Dingo, this is the only way it can sustain itself. With the attack on this thread now over, which to some, it would possibly appear he really has no business posting on in the first place, he can continue to live for another three days without need of another prey item. And with it's meal now resting in it's gullet, the indigo Dingo departs and begins to search for a place to preen it's feathers and wait.

*ceases to adopt the voice of David Attenborough*

Because I felt like it.

The red ring of death is a bit of a shocker. At least you'll get the warranty extension thing though. I got a single red light once as opposed to three, which I did't get the three year waranty extension thing for, so I had to pay for my repairs.
Apologies for adding nothing to the thread, but that was epic!

Ago Iterum

Dec 31, 2007
pimppeter2 said:
Ago Iterum said:
iain62a said:
Hahaaa. Nice.

What do you want them to do, recall them all and give new ones. Lets not forget that it is a fucking buisness.

Comparing a The wii mote strap thing was okay, I get what your saying but still Nintendo didnt do that because they love us, they didnt wanna get sued.

Guys its not a big deal, send it in get it repaired and forget about it, its just 3 weeks without gameing it'll pass. I've sent mine in, big fuckin deal.
Whoah pal, deep breaths.

What I meant was, the sheer amount of RROD 360's was outrageous. It shouldn't've happened in the first place, and it's costing 360 owners more and more money. Then they bring out a NEW 360 that "Can't RROD". Then reports flood in off other technical failures.

They've made the same mistakes repeatesly, showing that the testing of their consoles isn't up to scratch. It seems like a "Make 'em, box 'em, sell 'em" kind of approach, which is pretty out of order to the consumers that support them.

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
Ago Iterum said:
pimppeter2 said:
Ago Iterum said:
iain62a said:
Hahaaa. Nice.

Whoah pal, deep breaths.

What I meant was, the sheer amount of RROD 360's was outrageous. It shouldn't've happened in the first place, and it's costing 360 owners more and more money. Then they bring out a NEW 360 that "Can't RROD". Then reports flood in off other technical failures.

They've made the same mistakes repeatesly, showing that the testing of their consoles isn't up to scratch. It seems like a "Make 'em, box 'em, sell 'em" kind of approach, which is pretty out of order to the consumers that support them.
And don't even start me on windows...