Red vs Blue takes on Trigger Warnings

MatParker116

Feb 4, 2009
http://roosterteeth.com/archive/?id=11636&v=comments

Kinda agree with Grif if i'm honest. Now I'm gonna get some popcorn and go read some social justice blogs.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Apparently the video isn't out for the general public for another 12 minutes. What does he say on the matter?

I just treat them like content warnings, which have existed for decades now. Seems like an odd thing to complain about, honestly.

MatParker116

Feb 4, 2009
Fappy said:
Apparently the video isn't out for the general public for another 12 minutes. What does he say on the matter?

I just treat them like content warnings, which have existed for decades now. Seems like an odd thing to complain about, honestly.
There taking the piss out of people who take it too far.

*Chews Popcorn*

Jack Action

Not a premium member.
Sep 6, 2014
Fappy said:

Funny thing, I remember a time when those weren't a thing. They just showed up one day, doing nothing other than being annoying as fuck because they're narrated by random douchebag #12319823. Bit later cartoons got translated. Coincidence? I THINK NOT!

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
I'm no big fan of trigger warnings. For several reasons.

1. Lots of people use the word "trigger" for anything that makes them the slightest bit uncomfortable.

2. If you do have a real trigger (as opposed to "thing you don't like"), then it's your responsibility to work on getting rid of it. You have no right to tell others that they gotta warn you, just like someone allergic to nuts can't tell everybody they're not allowed to eat nuts. Your health, your responsibility. Mental or physical.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Queen Michael said:
You have no right to tell others that they gotta warn you, just like someone allergic to nuts can't tell everybody they're not allowed to eat nuts.
You do, actually, that free speech thing. Now, people can decide they'd not bother adding a few words in front of something they might think is a problem (after all, it's a hell of a hassle to mark stuff NSFW) if they like.

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
thaluikhain said:
Queen Michael said:
You have no right to tell others that they gotta warn you, just like someone allergic to nuts can't tell everybody they're not allowed to eat nuts.
You do, actually, that free speech thing. Now, people can decide they'd not bother adding a few words in front of something they might think is a problem (after all, it's a hell of a hassle to mark stuff NSFW) if they like.
OKay, I guess I mean that if you tell people not to eat nuts, they won't be obligated to do so.

CrazyGirl17

I am a banana!
Sep 11, 2009
Gotta admit, that was pretty funny. Trigger Warnings probably mean well, but there likely are people who take them a bit too far... And who better to remind us not to take it too far then this bunch.

That reminds me, I really should start watching Red VS Blue again... problem is that there's a lot to catch up on...

Kolby Jack

Come at me scrublord, I'm ripped
Apr 29, 2011
Even in the comments of that video I saw more than one person criticizing them for making a "rape joke," apparently not realizing the MASSIVE, GRAND-CANYON-SIZED GAP between making a joke that makes light of rape itself and making a joke that just involves the word "rape."

I agree with Donut. RvB is the longest running continuous web series on the internet, and even if people have never heard of it, they can easily find someone who has and can explain the kind of stuff the show is about. Anyone who claims to be "triggered" by anything in the show should've been able to see it coming. As for ANY show using trigger warnings, I don't really care. TV shows have "Viewer Discretion is advised," no reason web content can't feel the same obligation. Do they HAVE to? No. How people choose to present themselves is their own business, as are the consequences that go with it.

BreakfastMan

Scandinavian Jawbreaker
Jul 22, 2010
That was damn great. Best tumblr parody I have seen in a while. Managed to be funny and make decent points without being mind-numbingly stupid. 10/10 would be triggered again. XD

DrownedAmmet

Apr 13, 2015
First time I've watched a RvB skit in what feels like 10 years, so thanks for posting that, good to know it still makes me laugh.

I still think people who get pissed off at triggers are worse than the people that use too many triggers. Can't you just read it, skip past it if it doesn't pertain to you, and move on with your life?

Still, great video, good to see they still have it

gLoveofLove

Oct 24, 2011
I don't mind people using trigger warnings, which I find to be unnecessary(all of them btw). It's the people who demand other people use trigger warnings and get angry over someone not warning them before they talked about dolphins- because a dolphin just sat there and watched, without helping, as this person got catcalled on the beach.
Patriarchal seafood bisque scum!

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Ok, I have no idea what the takeaway message was supposed to be, they kind bounced back and forth on it a lot.

Well the Gavin Free trigger warning made me chuckle.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
my understanding of PTSD is limited but being "triggered" is actually a thing that happens after someone experiences something traumatic

DrownedAmmet said:
I still think people who get pissed off at triggers are worse than the people that use too many triggers. Can't you just read it, skip past it if it doesn't pertain to you, and move on with your life?
I uhhh....don't think that's how it works

being triggered is not the same as being offended, people seem to get that mixed up

anyway the real question is to what extent should people make allowances for possible triggers? if your "whatever" references sexual assult/violence then I don't think its unreasonable to have a warning...mandatory? I'm not sure

obviously you can't have a trigger warning for things like songs or sounds or images its just too specific

Secondhand Revenant

Recycle, Reduce, Redead
Legacy
Oct 29, 2014
Baator
Country
The Nine Hells
Vault101 said:
my understanding of PTSD is limited but being "triggered" is actually a thing that happens after someone experiences something traumatic

DrownedAmmet said:
I uhhh....don't think that's how it works

being triggered is not the same as being offended, people seem to get that mixed up

anyway the real question is to what extent should people make allowances for possible triggers? if your "whatever" references sexual assult/violence then I don't think its unreasonable to have a warning...mandatory? I'm not sure

obviously you can't have a trigger warning for things like songs or sounds or images its just too specific
He said the people who get pissed off at triggers are worse. I think he is saying THEY can ignore the warnings.