Rediscovering Childhood Toys

saluraropicrusa

undercover bird
Feb 22, 2010
So, not so long ago there was a lot of sorting of old toys and such from when my brother and I were kids, and among all the junk were a couple of Star Trek TNG toys. The one I remember playing with the most was the fake tricorder:

Amazingly, it still works! Well... sort of. It's definitely showing its age, but it still kind of lights up and makes not-as-loud-as-it-used-to-be noises.

That's not all though! Just today I remembered two handheld games I had before I actually knew shit about consoles. The one was a Sega Game Gear:

for which I had a single Sonic game I could never beat (it was bought at a garage sale sometime in the 90's).
The other, that until now I hadn't bothered to look up or even think about. It was an old Mattel Electronics Basketball game thing:

Seeing that gives me so much nostalgia for sitting in a dark basement playing this thing and having absolutely no idea what I was doing.

So, what old toys have you guys rediscovered recently? Anything you didn't remember until years later that suddenly flooded you with memories?

Hollyday

Mar 5, 2012
My boss has a 2-year-old daughter whom she brings into work in the mornings and seeing her with her toys is so nostalgic! The main one though was this:

Just the smell of it sends me back in time 20 years. I think at some point every single one of our toys had been covered in playdoh just to see what would happen (including cuddly toys... poor winnie the pooh, he was never the same again).

Starik20X6

Oct 28, 2009
I rediscovered my LEGO earlier today. I hadn't played with it in hours.

For seriously though, I was in the workshop recently and found an old tugboat toy I used to play with all the time in my Grandad's pool before he moved house. We've just had our own pool installed... I think it's time for old Toot the Tugboat to ride again!

StormShaun

The Basement has been unleashed!
Feb 1, 2009
I love it when I see the new lego boxes in shops like Target and etc. It makes me remember of my childhood when I used to play with it for hours!

...then I would step on the bloody things. X_X

Also Beyblades were great fun... :D

RobDaBank

Nov 16, 2011
I went into a comic book shop, in Northern England (quite a rare occurrence) and had a nostalgia-gasp over a collection of thunderbird models...

bluepilot

Jul 10, 2009
saluraropicrusa said:
So, not so long ago there was a lot of sorting of old toys and such from when my brother and I were kids, and among all the junk were a couple of Star Trek TNG toys. The one I remember playing with the most was the fake tricorder:

Amazingly, it still works! Well... sort of. It's definitely showing its age, but it still kind of lights up and makes not-as-loud-as-it-used-to-be noises.

That's not all though! Just today I remembered two handheld games I had before I actually knew shit about consoles. The one was a Sega Game Gear:

for which I had a single Sonic game I could never beat (it was bought at a garage sale sometime in the 90's).
The other, that until now I hadn't bothered to look up or even think about. It was an old Mattel Electronics Basketball game thing:

Seeing that gives me so much nostalgia for sitting in a dark basement playing this thing and having absolutely no idea what I was doing.

So, what old toys have you guys rediscovered recently? Anything you didn't remember until years later that suddenly flooded you with memories?
OMG I am so jealous, I wanted one of those tricorders since I was a small child but my parents would not get one for me.

I have all my old barbies in a box under my bed.

IamQ

Mar 29, 2009
Can't remember it's name. There were several parts you could use to build. I remember there being small pipes, medium and long ones. Also corner pieces so you could do a 90 degree turn with them. There were also wheels you could use. I think the small pipes were turquoise, the corner pieces were red, and I [ı]think[/i] the medium and long pipes were black.

Edit: K'nex! That was it! Now I remember. I used to love those things.

Rawne1980

Jul 29, 2011
Boglins.

My dad moved home recently and I gave him a hand clearing junk out and came across an old Boglin from my childhood in his attic.

I thought it had been thrown out, that toy is older than some people on this website. Had it when I was 9 so it's now 23 years old.

I used to love that Boglin.

Now it's sat on my fireplace and my wife doesn't like it much .... neither do her cats.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
ageis ago I found my furbie

and then promptly remembered why it was stuffed at the bottom of a storage container and put it back...so it can't come to life and escape

purf

Nov 29, 2010
When visiting my parents earlier this year I rummaged around the attic when suddenly I found myself assembling this:

and then this:

The police station is now a good arm's length away from me. Complete, minus the antenna.

Aug 31, 2012
Recently I got back into Warhammer miniatures after a break of almost 2 decades. They are essentially expensive toy soldiers so I suppose that could count.

bluerocker

Queen of Cockblocking and Misery
Sep 22, 2011
Looking through my old stuffed animals from my childhood probably invokes the most nostalgia for me.

saluraropicrusa

undercover bird
Feb 22, 2010
Vault101 said:
ageis ago I found my furbie

and then promptly remembered why it was stuffed at the bottom of a storage container and put it back...so it can't come to life and escape
Back when I had a furby, I quickly learned to hate it, as all children eventually should.
Once, I threw it fairly hard at my wall. It started speaking in tongues. My mom found me hiding behind our couch, absolutely terrified of that demon.
It was later completely disassembled, for the good of humanity.

teqrevisited

Mar 17, 2010
I went up into the loft for christmas decorations and I found the huge box full of all of my Star Wars figures. I must've been up there for half an hour at the least looking through it and dusting off all the ships.

I've still got one of my first ever christmas presents as it happens. A little wooden bi-plane.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
I don't need to rediscover, I know where they are! In my dad garage.

In saying so I suppose the oldest toys on me is my bayblade (waiting the day when they become very valuable) and a couple of my Bionicle toys (I love that franchise).

Quaxar

Sep 21, 2009
I do have a Game Boy Color somewhere around if that's good enough for you, but I haven't had much interest in playing pokemon lately.
Rest of my childhood stuff is in two boxes stored on a high shelf in the bedroom. I've got much better toys I bought more recently like sonic screwdrivers.