redistribution of wealth

Good morning blues

Sep 24, 2008
The rich became rich because they disproportionately reaped the benefits that our society has to offer people; it is only fitting that they should contribute a disproportionate amount of their resources to keeping that system going.

Before the United States gets there, however, it needs to get to pairity. The poorest taxpayers in the US actually pay a higher percentage of their real earnings than do the richest, which is so fucked up it's mind-boggling.

Wounded Melody

Jan 19, 2009
Pimppeter2 said:
Wounded Melody said:
After hearing my mother's doctor talk about the 2-day, 5 band, 100+ kids party she just threw for her 17 year old (17?! you don't rock 17 that hard!!! you wait for 18!) son, I'm thinking some of that money could be used to help people who can't even afford food.
Do you have any idea how much medical school costs? Do you have any idea how hard it is, how much blood, sweat, and treasure she had to give to become a doctor?

Yeah, if I went through god knows how many years of college, I would want to be able to throw money around.

Redistribution of wealth is stupid. It kills all initiative to do anything. Why would I want to become a doctor if I can make just as much running a day care?
Is money the only reason you become a doctor?

Pimppeter2

Dec 31, 2008
Wounded Melody said:
Pimppeter2 said:
Wounded Melody said:
After hearing my mother's doctor talk about the 2-day, 5 band, 100+ kids party she just threw for her 17 year old (17?! you don't rock 17 that hard!!! you wait for 18!) son, I'm thinking some of that money could be used to help people who can't even afford food.
Do you have any idea how much medical school costs? Do you have any idea how hard it is, how much blood, sweat, and treasure she had to give to become a doctor?

Yeah, if I went through god knows how many years of college, I would want to be able to throw money around.

Redistribution of wealth is stupid. It kills all initiative to do anything. Why would I want to become a doctor if I can make just as much running a day care?
Yes

We don't live in a society of lolipops and rainbows.

If doctors have to go through 8 years of school and $200,000 to become a doctor, and still make the same salary as Joe the high-school drop out Trucker, then I personally would chose to throw on the backwards baseball cap and grow a beer belly.

Sure, there are people who become doctors to save lives, and becuase they love it. But the money is a GIANT incentive.

As they say, Money makes the world go round.

StarStruckStrumpets

Jan 17, 2009
I'm a very firm believer in that old saying, 'You reap what you sow'. You deserve things in the amount of effort you've put in for you to get to that point. Which is why I don't think benefits are fair. I support them if they're helping people who need help, but people who sit on their arses shouldn't get any form of money.

In short, no, I don't think it would work, because undeserving people would end up in pocket.

Xanadu84

Apr 9, 2008
There already is a system of redistribution of wealth. Its called, "An Economy", and it happens every time someone buys something. So people can stop freaking out about communism. Intelligent redistribution of wealth prevents stagnation, and even benefits those who had there wealth redistributed, in the long run.

Pimppeter2

Dec 31, 2008
HG131 said:
Pimppeter2 said:
Isn't that kind of, well, sick? I'd rather have a doctor who cared treat me than one who didn't. The caring one would put aside their problems to help, while the other one would just do the minimum, in theory.
I'd rather have someone treat me. Period.

Money can be the biggest motivator to do a good job. A surgeon who cares about his stats becuase he can get a higher paying salary with good ones is just as likely to make sure that everything is taken care of down to the finest detail as someone who is caring.

Sure, I would like for my doctor to stop in and talk to me and stuff. But then again, all I actually want is for someone to take care of my ailment, and send me on my way.

Wounded Melody said:
Pimppeter2 said:
Playing FF13 are we?

>

Yes.

rokkolpo

Aug 29, 2009
Eukaryote said:
rokkolpo said:
those people earned that money, they should do as they please.

i have yet to have an epifany about equality in humankind.
Really? Stock traders who made wealth because of the success of talented and hard working companies earned their wealth? CEOs who ran their companies into the ground and bankrupted thousands of people earned their money?
i was actually talking about that 17 year olds mom (doctor).

CEOs who dragged many people through the dirt for profit should be hanged. i'm talking about the honest people.
THEY should never have to share their well earned wealth.imo

Hawgh

Dec 24, 2007
HG131 said:
Pimppeter2 said:
Wounded Melody said:
Pimppeter2 said:
Wounded Melody said:

Yes

If doctors have to go through 8 years of school and $200,000 to become a doctor, and still make the same salary as Joe the high-school drop out Trucker, then I personally would chose to throw on the backwards baseball cap and grow a beer belly.

Sure, there are people who become doctors to save lives, and becuase they love it. But the money is a GIANT incentive.

As they say, Money makes the world go round.
Isn't that kind of, well, sick? I'd rather have a doctor who cared treat me than one who didn't. The caring one would put aside their problems to help, while the other one would just do the minimum, in theory.
Of course, hadn't the second doctor chosen the field at all, you'd just have to go with a slow and uncomfortable death in an understaffed hospital.
While I have nothing against giving back to society(taxes), I find it completely unreasonable to demand people giving up all their dough, unless you're willing to give them the same privilege.
If somebody wants to spend a heinous amount of money in a vulgar display of wealth, they're welcome to it, but my insistence that they stay out of my business means that they deserve the same safety from judgmental attacks.
Of course, they don't get to complain when the huddled masses break down their diamond-crusted gates because they keep flaunting their power.

ben---neb

No duckies...only drowning
Apr 22, 2009
Everyone has different abilities, gifts and talents. Everybody is not equal in this regard. Therefore everyone is not paid equally. Simple.

Trying to change it? You might as well try and edit the laws of gravity.

Doitpow

Mar 18, 2009
There is a definite creep from the Politics and Religion section and its been getting worse...
Get back to the damn P+R section!

see ya there!

SamuelT

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2009
Country
Nederland
Hey!

That's what our taxes are for.

Seriously, on the paycheck of one four-person family, there are three others who can't support themselves leeching off that money. The Dutch system is coddly like that.

Mucinex-D

Jan 19, 2010
Of course... because why should anyone be entitled to what they've earned? Let's just give all the money to people who have done nothing to deserve it... destroying motivation for success and leading to an overall decline in the economy. Redistribution of wealth isn't one of the values America was founded on. I was under the impression we rewarded people for hard work and success in this country. Oh and to the people who say "evil big corporations with their money and greed", guess who makes it possible for millions across America to be employed? The big corporations... you know why? Because they have money to do it with... Taxing corporations will trickle down and cause massive lay offs, increase in product cost, and end up not saving any money in the larger scheme of things. Went a little off topic there, but when people talk about unjustly taking something someone else has earned just to be more "equal" kind of makes me angry.

/end rant.

JWAN

Dec 27, 2008
mcgroobber said:
no i completely disagree people work harder than others to earn wealth so that they can do stuff like that, if you take away that there wont be incentive to work hard,

but you say mcgroobber, there are people who work hard and dont make that much money, yes that is true but they also do jobs that are unskilled that anyone can do, they are necessary but they are stuff anyone can do surgeons get paid so much because there are few who can do the job

besides redistribution of wealth doesn't make everyone rich, it makes everyone poor

people may say that this is selfish because its just the rich trying to keep their money

but which is more selfish, trying to keep your money or taking someone elses away?
^this
I ask myself often what could George Thorogood teach in this scenario? He teaches that you need to earn your money and that you can either het a haircut and get a real job or do what you love and succeed under your own power.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-iHFA31l1uY

Skinny Razor

Mar 9, 2010
Pimppeter2 said:
I'd rather have someone treat me. Period.

Money can be the biggest motivator to do a good job. A surgeon who cares about his stats becuase he can get a higher paying salary with good ones is just as likely to make sure that everything is taken care of down to the finest detail as someone who is caring.
Also a superb incentive to perform unnecessary procedures and milk the insurance companies for as much as you can. That ole Invisible Hand, that's the one you don't feel slippin' into your pocket.

There also seems to be a strangely commonplace that people with wealth have all "earned it." Tell me, what exactly did Bil Gates or Larry Ellison do to "earn" billions? Most of the wealth in the world is in the hands of individuals anyway, it's looked up by multinationals and financial institutions, and we've all seen how well they spend other people's money.

Burningsok

Jul 23, 2009
nah i don't think it would do good over all, to many problems would occur from this.
Plus I'm sure alot of the rich worked hard for the money they have.

sure it would solve alot of problems, but new problems would just arise from it.

Aulleas123

Aug 12, 2009
KillerMidget said:
I remember Warren Buffet complaining at the level of tax he and secretary got. I'm fuzzy on the details but basically, she was getting, income tax-wise, completely screwed over, while he was getting taxed rather lightly.
I did read that he claimed that he got taxed less than his employees, however Buffett formally endorsed and made campaign contributions to Barack Obama's presidential campaign. Maybe not making him liberal, but he did support one of our more liberal presidents.