Redner: People Threatened my Family Over Duke Nukem Review Outburst

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Ah the internets such a joyful and lovely place.

Death threats are going too far, but the man shot himself in the leg with that kind of comment on bad reviews.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
Um, yeah, movie studios may choose not to preview movies they fear will get unfavorable reviews. That's not the same thing as, say, sending DVDs of the movie only to reviewers they can count on for favorable reviews. When a studio refuses to offer a preview screening for a film, that's a red flag to reviewers and the non-reviewers alike, and is often commented upon by the reviewers. If a PR company gives a review copy to IGN, Gamespy, and Gamespot but not Eurogamer, The Escapist, and Edge (to site a purely random and hypothetical selection example), what happens is not that the audience gets a red flag- what happens is that the prior three get the competitive advantage of being able to "scoop" their competitors on coverage of the hot new title while the consumer who has reason to believe they're getting a review judging the game on its merits and the reviewers who are left out in the cold get screwed.

Redner shouldn't have been threatened; that's just wrong. But for Christ's sake, let's not pretend for one second that, "Well, this is standard procedure for the PR industry" is in any way equivalent to "this is morally acceptable" or even "this is good for the industry."

Companies are at pains these days to pressure consumers to purchase games while they're shiny and fresh, if not pre-order them before any criticism can surface. If this is the way things are going to be done- if we're going to be told with a straight face that this is the standard way things are going to be done- then as consumers, our duty becomes to accept only reviews from outlets that publish after the general consumer release date, because those become the only outlets worthy of trust. And to presume that anyone who publishes a review a week or more before the general release is nothing but a company shill with better letterhead.

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
Logan Westbrook said:
He also refuted the idea that he would have blacklisted certain outlets, had 2K not terminated his contract. He said that people were using the word "blacklisted" incorrectly, as he would not have prevented anyone from working. Instead, he said that he would have simply chosen not to support certain publications in the future.
"Chose not to support" is just a pretty way of saying "blacklisting". Though I'll hand it to the guy, dressing something up in prettier wording IS his job. Well... was.

He said that PR companies were under no obligation to send games out to reviewers, especially not if they felt that said reviews would be detrimental to a game's sales.
Except that then you have the Gamespot/Kane and Lynch problem from a few years back. Reviews have little enough credibility as it is, but if people know that only select reviewers will be given review copies of a game based on how nice they're going to be, it'll render said reviews completely useless. If it gets to a point where even the casual reader of reviews knows that the reviewer was only given the game with the understanding that he's going to be nice to the game, then it's all over. You might as well give it to nobody at that point, because we all already know the game is going to get a favorable review by default.

This isn't limited to videogame reviews - studios often won't show movies to critics if they think the reviews will be bad - and is simply one of the pitfalls of product-orientated journalism.
The big difference is that when movies do it, they don't let ANY critics see the movie ahead of time. They don't single-out and pick and choose which reviewers get a copy and which don't. They either let all film critics and reviewers see it ahead of time, or none of them do. So Redner still made a very bad move.

badgersprite

[--SYSTEM ERROR--]
Sep 22, 2009
Catchy Slogan said:
Death threats? Seriously? There is something seriously wrong with these people.
I know, right? I wonder if that's just how they react to everything.

"My pizza is luke-warm?? I'll kill you and your whole family!"

OT: Really, though, you can't blame one guy for what is systemic in the industry. And, to be fair, it's not the job of what is essentially an advertising guy to be fair and balanced in presenting his game; it's his job to give every potential buyer a one-sided, positive view of the game.

In short, if people want review copies to be fairly given to every outlet, don't make that job fall under marketing and PR.

Craorach

Jan 17, 2011
Once again our community shows how many of our members cannot keep things in perspective. The people who send threats of harm to him and his family should be tracked down, and as a community we should be ostracising them for their words.

While I dislike PR of any sort, intensely, and believe the whole advertising industry needs to be shaken down to ensure it only uses factual, solid, non emotional or exploitative methods.. this is not unreasonable.

If I were to be running a restaurant, and I invited a reviewer to a function... and he panned my food in ways I felt over the top.. I'd not invite him back. That's not to say he can't come to my restaurant again as a customer and review it, I just wouldn't send him an invite and give him free food.