Referee Decapitated After Stabbing Player

FoolKiller

Feb 8, 2008
Delcast said:
In the case someone did get murdered or raped without any confrontation, I definitely understand the anger and the rage, and I understand that it would be horrible not to see the perpetrator pay for their crimes. In that particular situation I understand the wish for revenge, and honestly I am almost willing to condone it, although arguably it doesn't solve anything. BUT there is a HUGE difference between a clean vengeance kill and a torture-mutilation-head-on-a-pike kill. This sort of violence as mentioned before, speaks of the mob mentality, of people becoming blood-lusted and not really thinking straight.

I hope you don't think this is a trolling or dense response.
No. I find this to be much more well thought out. However the dense/troll comment comes from the fact that you questioned the math. Ironic since you say I have the myopic view but the one life for one life is looking at the big picture and not from one person's point of view.

As for the concept of a clean vengeance kill vs the torture-mutilation-head-on-a-pike kill (you should copyright that term :) ) and one being more acceptable than the other goes back to something I said in another post. The application of logic in this instance is silly because it is an emotional response. But torture is about inflicting the pain so that the guy suffers for what he did. Killing him was just finishing the job. I will concede the head on the pike as a mob thing though. Although I find it morbidly amusing because its something you only see on Game of Thrones.

FoolKiller

Feb 8, 2008
AidoZonkey said:
And they say video games cause violence ha ha ha.
Seriously though, what the hell, its football, how the hell does a game about kicking a ball around a pitch end up in decapitation?
Quick USA.... ban soccer. Its dangerous.

an annoyed writer

Exalted Lady of The Meep :3
Jun 21, 2012
Smeatza said:
I've heard it's a very passionate culture, Brazil's, so I'm not too surprised this happened there.
I have a friend who's half Brazilian and he says that when there's a traffic jam over there, they all turn up their radios, get out the cars and have a little party.
So ups and downs I guess.
You know, that's actually kinda interesting, especially to me, since I plan to go there sometime for vehicular acquisition/importation reasons. I guess I better throw a good sound system in the vehicle that I'd pick up.

Zhadramekel

Apr 18, 2010
I don't even want to know why the implements were available for quartering and decapitation at a bloody sports game.

Extra-Ordinary

Elite Member
Mar 17, 2010
Zhadramekel said:
I don't even want to know why the implements were available for quartering and decapitation at a bloody sports game.
I'm not going to lie, as terrifying as this story is, this made me chuckle a bit.
It reminds me of this picture.

Anyway.
That story is horrifying.
I don't have much to add other than that, I simply don't know what to do or say other than be beside myself with shock.

BitterLemon

Jul 10, 2013
Well, I'm from Brazil, sorry for any spelling mistakes. This story is totally absurd for brazilians too, it's not a normal ocurrance for sure. This story sent chills on my spine the first time i've read... but saying that you'll avoid the country because of that is like avoiding to visit USA because of mass shootings in high schools... It's just those really sad brutalities that happen without a logical explanation and are not routine.

Like others have stated, this match was what we call a "pelada", it's a casual game between friends, family, neighbours. The ref probably was not a official one, maybe just someone from the neighborhood. The crime happened in a rural area, in a small town and normally there isn't much police force in places like these. When police arrived, it was too late. The crime is being investigated and one of the ref murderers is taken, the other are missing.

Brazil is also a very unequal country in terms of development. There are areas everywhere that are negleted, underdeveloped, missing a strong educational system and basic security. That's where violent crimes like those grow out of hand and gangs take over. Where the state commits violence against the people by negleting them a decent structure, violence is the answer. But I don't think that this explains this crime alone. The news aren't much clear, but it was just some individuals who really participated in the atrocities... and obviously, those involved clearly had some degree of psychopathy, including the referee, who started it all. Not justificating what happened, but the player was killed in front of his family and friends and it's hard to even imagine how people initially reacted to that, eventually escalating to the horrifying end. It wasn't a rational situation at all.

Unfortunatelly, it's true that is common to happen fights in soccer matches. My brother-in-law is a amateur goalie and he needed to run away from a finals game once because some crazy mob wanted to punch him after a ingame misunderstanding between him and a opposing player. This doesn't mean that people normally kill others after matches, tho, nor that every soccer game is violent. The international soccer games, for exemple, are way more family friendly because it's attended by people who like soccer more casually. People who doesn't have the patience or time to follow the brazilian league and just follow the national squad games, because it's pretty much part of the local culture, something to talk about at lunch time. Saying "did you see the national squad game yesterday?" is like a "the weather is good today, isn't?" in Brazil elevator talk.

Another point is that soccer is kind of a escape vault in Brazil and is mostly attended by low class people in the stadiums (rich people watches from TV)... and boy, the poor suffer in this country. You can live like in Europe if you have the money, or you can live in a favela if you don't. There's a lot of tension everywhere and a lot of misdirected anger from young people. Soccer clubs represent different classes... there's clubs that mostly represent lower class people, like Corinthians... or upper class, like São Paulo F.C... In my city, Campinas, there's a club called Ponte Preta, or "Black Bridge". The Black Bridge was where slaves were traded back in the days of slavery and it's the team that represents lower class people nowadays. Not surprisingly, their biggest rival is Guarani F.C, a team more attuned to upper class people in the city. There's always huge fights when they play against each other...
On national scale, the brazilian league is dominated by teams from São Paulo and Rio de Janeiro, the most developed states (waaay more developed that north and northeast states, which are always in the second division, struggling to keep at the first)

(Guess you can say that soccer violence in Brazil is something like a punk culture for some kids)

There's a lot of history in the founding of soccer clubs and that's why it's so important in our culture. Soccer represents our struggles as a country somehow. Not everyone is conscious of those histories, but team fandom and rivalries are generally passed from father to son, so history lingers on.

Altorin

Jack of No Trades
May 16, 2008
This is a strange case from so many angles.. but I for one (and I know I'm going to be in a very tiny minority here) am kind of glad that humanity still has this in it.. It's good to know that somewhere inside humanity is a core that is so ancient and so ugly.. that as far as we come, there is still that.. it sort of brings things into perspective..

As for this specific case, it's hard to feel too bad for they guy, considering he did just murder a soccer player right infront of a uproarious soccer crowd. That was a dumb move. should he have been taken to jail? probably. Although honestly, a south american jail for murderers? the crowd might have done him a favor.

Baron von Blitztank

May 7, 2010
I know it's a terrible thing but if all football matches in Brazil end in a decapitation then I might actually watch the World Cup this time.

TheCommanders

ohmygodimonfire
Nov 30, 2011
This is one of the reasons I find it funny that a discussion of video game violence negatively affecting peoples behavior is even a thing, when organized aggressive physical confrontation is endorsed in nearly every schooling system (sports). American football, hockey, rugby, wrestling, boxing, all of these endorse, and indeed glorify (organized) violence in a very real and physical way. I don't see the students who do well in classes and are productive members of their communities being celebrated. Nope, it's the big guys who knocked other guys out of the way of their success. But video games are the real problem, honest!

GroovySpecs

Feb 23, 2013
I don't think people realise that outside of Europe, North America and other highly developed countries, this kind of voilence, while far from common place, is not as rare as we might be comfortable beliving it is.

IamLEAM1983

Neloth's got swag.
Aug 22, 2011
CrazyCapnMorgan said:
Holy shit!
And here I was thinking that Hockey was one of the more violent sports out there! I can understand being a fan, I can understand wanting to defend your team when an unfair decision is levied against them - but stabbing an offending player as a referee? Getting tortured and decapitated by an angry mob? Just - goddamn...

However, Brazil has some pretty grody corners. If it's just an informal game between two street teams, there's always the chance that some pretty hardcore gang members were part the referring staff or of the teams themselves.